1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Bad news Pay for a shoot?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by norris, Feb 23, 2009.

1. norris

norris Engaging Member

Last weeks edition of the Farmers Weekly contains an advert informing farmers they could earn £500 per year allowing responsible people to shoot on there land.

-ProtectMyCrops.co.uk-

Last line of the advert -Resonsible shooters who respect the land.
    FW (2009, page 25)

Bulls*** people with more cash than sense...

Personally I feel it is wrong to be charged for rough shoooting,and is certainly bad for the sport.The hobby is expensive enough as it is,without paying for shooting! (gun, fashion camo, scope,pelllets and petrol getting to the shoot)

2. dazz

dazz Engaging Member

Bl**dy farmers they should pay us. Thats not really fair to farmers everyone I know is glad of me and all people saving them £100 a year from clearing squrriels and rats from pheasant feeders, rooks off the silage and pigeons and rabbits off the crops. Hang on we should be charging them.

3. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

It should be free either way.:rolleyes:

4. verminator2009

verminator2009 Member

Oh No, As if it wasn't almost impossible enough already to get a rough shoot! Let's be honest here...how many times do you see shotgun shoots advertised at £530 per gun? It all boils down to money. I Have asked 18 of the farmers surrounding my area for permission to shoot Vermin with a Legal Air Rifle, They just say We just manage the farm, WE are not the Landowners! I bet if I offered Hard Cash-it may be a different story. In short It needs to be a simple case of You Scratch My Back-I Scratch Yours. The Farmer let's us shoot the Rats/Rabbits etc (Vermin) on his land; and We do it gladly as Free Pest Control. There is now a population explosion in the Rat world, Surely Farmers need to realise we NEED eachother and charging Air gunners/Hunter's will surely only decrease an already dwindling sport? So stick by your guns, No fees!

5. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

Money grabbing land owners .

6. noluv6

noluv6 Engaging Member

we save em way more.it getting to a stage that people cant even get a shoot and if this goes a head people like my self wont be able to shoot.the sport is going down big time.people dont want to help others or nothing.i av thought about paying as our shoot is so small and i think i may have to but i simply cant afford to which is why im lackin a proper shoot.me and 3 brothers shoot and all av tried getting permission with no joy.weve done every farmer with in 30 mile radious.bought maps with farms layed out and all sorts.add up what it cost us in petrol and ammo.its plain wrong but money is every thing ain it

7. Grunter

Grunter Member

Im sure once the farmers realise that by accepting payment for people to shoot on their land they are in fact providing a service and therefore should be carrying out a full risk assessment and have their own insurance specifically for the activity that has been paid for, also they will be liable for half any incident that occurs on their property. It would be down to them to mark boundaries, provide maps etc.. otherwise they would be deemed negligent should an incident occur. Add to that it may well come under change of use of land and require planning before they could do this officially and im not so sure it would appeal quite so much to the farmer! Once you accept payment for something the rules change, and in this day and age that generally means paperwork..lots of paperwork.

Just my thoughts on it, Dont think its going to be the dramatic end to the sport people think it is. There is a reason there are only a few farms that will let you ride scramblers on their land for a reason, its not noise, and people been offering to pay for many years.. so dont panic just yet.

8. sumo

sumo Posting Addict

I would never charge for vermin control personally because I have 2 very good mates,1 fullbore and 1 air rifle who are my eyes in the wee small hours,and also a very good company which covers me for rats etc for 250 sobs a year.
    But remember this,if you had a wee pond in your garden with heaps of fish,would you not charge for people to fish there,as they were benefitting in catching their supper,course you would!.
    Fed up with all this "boo hoo ing" about those "nasty land owners "charging for pest control,think its called the real world!.
    If you want free shooting then go buy your own land,just like the farmers had to do!:mad:.
    To put it into context,the most I have heard locally of farmers charging for rough shooting is 50 quid a year!.
    The farmer has to buy the land in excess of 6.5k an acre,then charges a measlie £1.04 a week for the privalidge of shooting over it,what the hell are the complaints about??
    To buy right now a 250 acre unit costs 1.62 million quid average, 2 million plus, if you include buildings etc!, does a quid or so a week really mean such hardships.I think not!.
    Grow up!!.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  9. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Ive left it till, everyone's had there say, my permitted land, charges £500 month, for game shooters, and pest control using shotgun's are also charged, if air-gunner want to shoot, other than myself ...they are also charged...I am not charged only because I am doing research, that could, and I believe will help farmers/pest controllers, but this research is at my-own expense ....we are living in difficult times, you may think land owners are rich, this is far from the true of many land owners...if I had a diesel car, I wouldn't like there monthly bill:( ...Have you asked your land owner, about ...just one of there bills, you will be very surprised at there out goings, and there crap payments, for there crops/livestock. !!!! ..and if everything goes tits up, regards the weather ...there are no hand outs, ....has I have said before many time's on this/the only forum I have ever been on....Talk to your land owner, ask questions, tell them you are interested in farming....You will be very surprised.

10. amaser1

amaser1 Donator

Yes it is tough for farmers, and has been for quite a few years...

Be polite, and don't be a afraid to negotiate a price with the landowner.