1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Parker Hale Phoenix

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by Stot, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Stot

Stot Posting Addict

Been looking at these for a while and seen one in the local gun shop, brand new at a good price, and had to have it.

[​IMG]

This is the full length .22 that comes factory screwcut for 1/2 UNF silencers. It comes with 2 bottles and 2 magazines. The magazines are a bit of a pain as they are BSA design, but with a little fettling they are running smooth. This is a MK1 which have a reputation, but thats mainly the magazines fault and i think with one of them new Pnumaticbalistics 8 shot mags this would disapear as they index the same as the Theoben mags.

When I got it it was running a touch high but ive taken it down and got a nice fresh bottle shot string out of it.

[​IMG]

70 shots above 10.5Ft.Lbf is great for a stalking rifle, and take 2 bottles with you should be plenty for a hunting trip.

After 90 shots the bottles are at 70 bar and charge really easilly with the FX 4 Stage pump I got today too, so take that along and you can shoot all day. :D

Cheers
    Stot

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. LUCAN07

LUCAN07 Keyboard Hero

Very nice :up:

3. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Think you will find that the Mark 1 will Only work with BSA Style Magazines

Reason - current New Mark Two's have a totally New Design magazine

As well accepted as problems with Mark 1's & magazines

I have a Mark Two in .177 ;)

Now come out of Pax Gun's without AT - Fitted ;)

BOB/R

4. neilrobinson

neilrobinson Busy Member

it says on the righting on the bottom its highest was 12.05 but the graph line does not touch the 12 mark why?

5. Stot

Stot Posting Addict

Hi Bob,

Yeah I called PAX re this one when I got it to aks if the MK2 mag would work. No go. :(

But these will.

[​IMG]

Only 8 shots per side, id only want the single one anyway, but from the description it looks like it indexes the same as the Theobens, i.e. a the pellet/probe in the hole stops it indexing and as the probe slides out on the cocking stroke the mag turns its self to the next pellet.

Cheers
    Stot.

6. Stot

Stot Posting Addict

Not sure, I did notice that too. I need to check into that I think its the Google graph not doing the data right.

It did touch 12.05 for one shot so I nudged it down again and get an average of 11.50 now.

Cheers
    Stot

7. neilrobinson

neilrobinson Busy Member

it sounds like google not doing it right. just thought id let ya no.

8. Stot

Stot Posting Addict

Well I said these MK1s had a reputation, And true to form this one had an 'issue'. It would shoot fine in a session, but left overnight lost all the air. To be fair, it is a 10 year old gun thats never been used, the seals will have dried in position yonks ago.

Nevermind, I stripped it down to re-seal it and while I was in there I decided the valve could be made better.

I machined a new valve body from brass to take slightly thicker o-rings, Kept the transfer port hole as small as possible to fit the transfer port (theres a lot of space around it on the original valve ) and made a new valve pin and seal out of drill rod and delrin. Lapped it in a touch and put it all back together.

[​IMG]

Before the strip it was running 11.5. I rebuilt it and it was running 14!! :eek: I expected a bit of an improvement but 20%! :up:

Tried to turn it down to legal, and with the power adjuster all the way out I was still at 12.3 :rolleyes: So out came the hammer spring guide and 5mm off the spring seat on the lathe and the lowest power setting is now 9.5 so I've Turned it back up to 11.5.

Hopefully it will mean more shots per bottle.
    More efficient = less hammer pre-load = valve open less = less air used. We'll see. ;)

Oh and, the gun now holds pressure which was the point of stripping it anyway... :D:D:D

Cheers
    Stot

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  9. Stot

Stot Posting Addict

Also yesterday I added a threaded delrin top to the bottle tommy bar so that there is a place to keep the thread protector ring when not in use. :up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saves me losing it eh.

Cheers
    Stot

10. neilrobinson

neilrobinson Busy Member

looks like you been busy. how long did it take to make the new one on the lathe?

11. Stot

Stot Posting Addict

Probably 2 hours all together. Its not that complex really, a simple poppet valve but the radius on the stem makes the world of difference to air flow. :up:

Cheers
    Stot

12. Stot

Stot Posting Addict

I've been playing with this gun for a while and Ive bought a couple more bottles for it so I have 4 now which is great means I only need to pump now and then :up: It has had its 'issues' but nothing some loctite cant fix. :p

One thing I have noticed is that power fluctuates depending on which bottle I use! Must be differences in the bottle valve so ill see if I can do something about that. :cool:

One other perculicarity is that with the Phoenix, the underlever jumps a bit when you shoot. Ive found that holding it tight, results in more power than letting it lose by ~1/2ft.lbf.

Anyway just thought I'd write that down. :D

Cheers
    Stot

13. Eccy118

Eccy118 Well-Known Member

Nice piece of kit you have there.:)

There's a guy at my gun club who has one and he loves it,he says it's very accurate.

His doesn't have a silencer on but it makes a fantastic sound without it.

14. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

Interesting write up

Thanks

John

15. Stot

Stot Posting Addict

Update on the jumping underlever. Theres actuallly a stop screw in the frame, ive now adjusted it so that as the sear engages the lever cannot pull back any more, which means pulling the lever tight doesnt preload the spring any further as it was before, and I can now trust the power setting. :up:

I do love this gun. Its no the easiest gun to get along with initially but its one where if you stick with it, and have the equiptment to deal with it, its character shines through. Waiting for a Simmons Aetec to go on top of it in place of the MTC Viper I have on it at the moment as its just too heavy with the MTC->NV Addon all set up. The Simmons should save me 300+ grams, as long as the glass turns up to be good.

I could imagine if I didnt have the wherewithall or lathe to be able to work on it myself it would have gone back to the shop for good, but remember this is a MK1 and there is NOT a problem with the new MK2.

Cheers
    Stot

16. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Lot's Changes in Mark Two's

You have a Very Limted Edition Gun there

With the Very Limited Number of Mark Ones - working ;)

BOB/R

17. mickson

mickson Engaging Member

P H P

Very tasty looking rifle, another on the wanted list...mike...:up::)