1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Pard Sa45lrf Thermal Scope -who Fancies An Independent Review?

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by Russ Douglas, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Russ Douglas

Russ Douglas YouTube: RussDouglas222

Evening all, thanks to the very kind folk at SportsmanGunCentre (SGC) Bruce (@mealiejimmie) and I might soon be reviewing this top-of-the-PARD-Thermal-range -gadgie, the PARD SA45LRF.

To be honest I'm not expecting to return it to SGC, as Bruce or our buddy Davie might well decide to buy it if it's impressive enough, who knows?

Rest assured we'll be as honest and thorough as usual/always.
    We'll bring the results (warts and all) to you here plus to my YouTube channel: RussDouglas222
    Any accompanying photos will as usual go in a Flickr album: RussDouglasAGW.

All the best.
    Cheers. Russ

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Aran, Jonny86, papisgood and 2 others like this.
  2. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark I see light at the end of the tunnel!

Look forward to it!

3. Jonny86

Jonny86 Posting Addict

Look forward to it Russ.

What have you been up to? Not seen you on here much recently

4. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

Cant wait!!!:)

5. Russ Douglas

Thank-you all :thumb:, I'm gagging to checkout this kit -just like I was (after first reviewing the PardSA25) with the SaimSCL35 and Pulsar XP50!

Hi @Jonny86 yep sorry been soooo busy managing a few stressful family issues :oops: and struggling to earn a few pennies.
    Consequently I'm afraid my latest video(s) had been delayed, but I'll get there (hopefully imminently).

My (replacement for my long-sold FAC AA S510 rifle) new FX rifle should finally be here next week. Can't wait to get that zeroed then in use out on the paddocks!
    Last outing the clear sky and 3/4 full moon meant I couldn't get within 50m of the (many) rabbits, so that's where the new FAC rifle comes in. :cool:
    Naturally I'll film an unboxing video for that, plus a review video.

Cheers. Russ

Jonny86 likes this.
  6. bighunter

bighunter Busy Member

going by the SA25 the SA45 will be a keeper

Russ Douglas likes this.
  7. Russ Douglas

I suspect either Bruce or Davie will want it - or they may even both want it. They both shoot a lot of foxes for estate owners, so it'll get a lot of use... R

8. Russ Douglas

I'll be rounding-up the filming today with the PardSA45LRF, one of the first two in the UK (kindly on load from Sportsman Gun Centre) that Bruce (@mealiejimmie) and I have been reviewing this last few weeks.
    So (largely thanks to Bruce fixing the DIY comms cable yesterday - he blamed his own "dodgy soldering" for it dying when I tried to record my zeroing at GARC on Wednesday night :D) -I should this afternoon/evening be able to record similar scenes and at similar ranges to those in part three of our SAIM SCL35 review, earlier this year.

So hopefully you'll soon see how this new scope performs by day and night at various pest control ranges, which you can compare to that previous review.

I'm not going to make it three or four separate videos, as our four-part PARD SA25 review is >already online on my channel<, namely...
    part #1
    part #2
    part #3
    and...
    part #4 ...with all the basic functions, menu functions etc being unchanged on the SA45LRF.

So here we're focusing on what's different with the range-topping SA45LRF...
    • Larger lens = larger base mag = increased range and improved range with digital zoom, though with corresponding narrower FOV.
    • Built-in LRF = on-screen rangefinding in yards or metres (which I'm already happy was within 1/2 metre of the usual steel targets out to 50m at GARC on Wednesday night).
    Cheers. Russ

9. Russ Douglas

Good morning all, > PARD SA45LRF Thermal scope pt.1 < went live at 6pm last night...

I'm editing part #2 right now, to include more of Bruce's garage-recorded footage, plus the paddock footage I recorded, which includes LRF checks via the Pard 008LRF NV scope and watching rabbits out to 175m+.
    Once that's online today or tomorrow I'll straightaway start working on the SAIM SCT35 & iRay XHolo13 video reviews.

...then I'll get back onto all the other editing I have queued-up. :rolleyes:
    Cheers. Russ

10. Rat reaper

Rat reaper Keyboard Hero

Good watch Russ, I was amazed of the picture quality, looks like thermal has come along way in the last few years. Not sure I could justify 3 and a half grand, I could always ask Santa :D

Russ Douglas likes this.
  11. Russ Douglas

Thanks @Rat reaper, I think you'll like the upcoming paddock footage then.

TBH the 'bottom' of the range SA18 imagery will look very similar, albeit at shorter ranges due to the smaller lens size.

You and me both re the cost though! :eek:
    Cheers. Russ

Rat reaper likes this.
  12. Rat reaper

Rat reaper Keyboard Hero

Looking forward to see some footage of some wildlife at different ranges :thumb:

13. Geordiedan

Geordiedan Busy Member

Looks a good unit and a handy size in the 008 casing, but HOW MUCH?!?! o_O:eek::eek:

14. Nords

Nords Schott glass addict

Great Russ, I’d love to see a back to back against a Pulsar. Any chance?

15. mealiejimmie

mealiejimmie Busy Member

Russ and I got a few people together a couple of weeks ago (all covid safety measure rigorously enforced ;))
    Some people had little or no experience with thermal and others were experienced users of both thermal spotters and thermal scopes.
    We put the PARD SA45 against a Pulsar Thermion XQ50 and had them overlooking the same piece of ground where rabbits and roe deer were present at ranges up to 500 yards
    My impression was that the people who were new to thermal preferred the PARD, and the more experienced folk preferred the Pulsar.
    I think this comes down to the "wow" factor for people who are not experienced with thermal since the relatively high contrast on the PARD makes hot targets really jump out at you, whilst the lower contrast on the Pulsar produces a somewhat flatter image, but with more temperature detail on individual targets
    The more experienced guys no longer get the "wow" factor and are looking instead for in target detail to help them make better decisions about what exactly it is they are looking at.
    Caveat: the PARD was set with the brightness and contrast values recommended in the PARD manual, the in target detail could potentially be improved with different contrast and brightness values, but the PARD had to go back to SGC before I had the chance to try it in the field at different contrast and brightness settings

Cheers

Bruce

16. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark I see light at the end of the tunnel!

Nice review, I had the PARD 35 which was really good and now have a 50 Thermion, looking forward to trying it.

17. Nords

Nords Schott glass addict

Thank you for that Bruce, very helpful. I have access to a Pulsar Apex XD75 which I guess is 3 - 4 years old now. Still superb at night although you need one of those handwarmer bags taped to the target to zero in the day. Always interesting to see the effect rain now or in the past few hours makes to the ‘view’, I find this tends to make tree trunks which are obvious against a leaf background normally, blend in a bit. I can still see cows (and recognise their shape) at 1200 yards plus, sheep at 800, I know the shape and size of a hedgehog at 130 yards now and badgers / foxes are obvious to 200 plus. Mice jumping over plough furrows at closer than 100 yards is always a great sight but I can see how owls’ feathers are better than fur. They always appear a less bright heatsource. Anyway, enough of the ramble....

Do you think comparing specs (ie output pixel count vert by hori) helps, or is it still a case of testing them against each other over a piece of ground you know well at night?