1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

parallax info please

Discussion in 'Target Shooting' started by scultra, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scultra

scultra Busy Member

Good morning :)
    OK im about to set the px on my scope but im a bit unsure of the procedure :confused:
    Now I know the basics BUT not sure of what aim point to use at different settings to check they fall in correctly.
    So do I use the zero poa for every distance or do I use the poa relevant to the distance to check for movement when giving it the Paul Mcartney treatment and also I hear tell that a high mag setting is preferred when setting up as a small error in px would get worse when the mag is turned UP so when the mag is turned back DOWN any error would get reduced.
    Hope you understand where im coming from:eek:.

2. landymick

landymick Big Poster

Are you setting a fixed parallax scope? ,if so when setting use its max mag for the distance you want e.g. 25 yards.set it when in correct focus for you.Then use as normal it should free from parallax errors closer around the range you set instead of 100 yards which most fixed scopes are set at.

3. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

:nicethread:Nice thread this, I have a new scope which is parallax set at 100m, so I am assuming I zero at max magnification out to a target at 100m and then I can adjust to any magnification that I desire, would that be correct. ? KB1

4. landymick

landymick Big Poster

On a scope that is 100m parallax set means it is free from parallax error at 100m so for air gun use you can see why errors can happen especially at close range,this is why we use scopes with adjustable parallax either AO or SF ;SF being the favoured type.
    For a zero at 100m on full mag is fine for full bore or rimfire as most scope instructions tell you but it doesn't stop parallax error at other ranges but is less noticeable on lower mag another reason why hunters use x6 a lot also helps with range estimation.

5. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

Thanks for that, so just to clarify, its going on a 'rimfire' so would it be best to zero at 100m on full magnification and then adjust back down to six and stay on that setting. Is that your understanding for less para error on shorter distance shots. I fully understand my dial set up on my sidewinder fitted to my .177 and the adjustment works lovely, but I would appreciate advice on set parallax. Not meaning to take over this original thread, but any advice would be great. Thanks KB1

6. landymick

landymick Big Poster

You can do that which will help with any potential cross over from mounts or scope not 100% true.sometimes from high mag to low mag the eye relief changes so might not be in the correct position for best comfort this part takes a little time but helps eliminate any potential parallax (it is still there just less noticeable).
    You can then readjust your zero to the desired range more suitable to the ammo your using so that you get the the flattest trajectory on your sight line so less aiming off as your sidewinder .Hope this makes sense to you.

7. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

Got you. Thanks very much. Cheers KB1

8. scultra

scultra Busy Member

Its a SF scope.
    If I set px to say 25yds then turn the dial to a further distance mark say 75yds its OUT and it reads say 100yds to get the 75yd px that I want.
    Personally I think that the marks on the dial arn,t true.
    Still not got this high mag thing though, I would imagine that it would be best to set at half mag to set px at half your max distance and use your own markings on the dial.
    What says the experts then :)

9. landymick

landymick Big Poster

Use your own markings by all means not all scopes are the same some being more accurate than others.The main thing is to be in focus at the range where the target is don't worry what the marks on the scope say its about knowing your estimated ranges with the kit you have.I presume you know about first & second plain focal scopes & how mag changes reticle.Lots of threads on this topic.
    Zero on full mag at the desired range with correct parallax setting thats it.Then learn your aim points for different range & mag settings using your SF to help eliminate parallax at that range.

10. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

Depends on the scope some you can change the dial by moving the cap to the desired range. hakes use allen screws not sure mtc my genesis gives you some key things don't forget if you mess with the lens seals it needs re filling with nitrogen

11. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Keep the scope objective lense down and the nitrogen shouldn't escape

12. scultra

scultra Busy Member

OK
    Just got back after a fiddle about.
    I found centre scope by counting clicks and then adjusted the px to the desired zero whilst set at half way mag and then adjusted the rear mount until the pellets hit the horizontal zero line on my target .
    I then went out to every poa and corrected THE MARKS on the SF to the poa,s px.
    Then I went to furthest poa and adjusted the mag until it struck home and then leaving the mag at its new setting I began back down every poa and they fell in lovely until I got back to my zero and found it was about 4 clicks low.
    Not sure whats happened here,, maybe because I did it all on half way mag and not full mag.:confused:

13. scultra

scultra Busy Member

Tried again today, full mag and zero, set, para at all distances then out to max distance and lowered mag until dropped in :) sweet :up:.
    Then tested at all distances back :up: sweet. UNTILL I got back to zero range. Couple of shots :up: sweet then it dropped 1/4" then left 1/4".
    Oh BOLL@#KS here we go again.
    Off home kicking every tree I passed being a tad frustrated.
    Got home and sat scratching my head..." What's up" says the wife.
    I explained the problem to her.
    Your silencer is working loose and clipping says she.
    "Oh my .".......WILL YOU MARRY AGAIN DARLING says I.
    :)

14. Tron

Tron Donator

Are you using a fixed (non adjustable paralaxed scope) ? if so it is quite easy to reset it it for air rifle ranges, without losing any of the anti fogging gas inside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.