1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Over 12 Foot Pounds?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by cdlftw, Aug 15, 2019 at 8:40 PM.

1. cdlftw

cdlftw Member

Hi all,

Just bought one of those cheap and cheerful £18 chronos and pushed a few pellets through my HW95. I'm seeing 245-249 on the reading, which when I convert to f/s I get between 804 and 817 fps. I've only tested with JSB Exact's 4.53s, which are 8.44 grain.

Using this site here: https://www.pyramydair.com/article/What_is_Muzzle_Energy_August_2003/5

It appears that I get 12.12 foot pounds to 12.51 foot pounds.

I'm very new to the hobby (weeks), but I'm pretty sure this is not legal - problem is, I have no idea what to do about it!

Any and all advice welcomed!

Thanks.

2. Buckshot

Buckshot Busy Member

There's a lot of people on here that have bought those chronos so they'll be along shortly mate. Enjoy your new hobby. :thumb:

cdlftw likes this.
  3. squib

squib Busy Member

IMO, the only thing you can do is check it against another chrono - one that’s known to be right.
    That might be at your local shop, or a local helpful member.

I’m sure I read somewhere that if a gun shop chrono your gun and it’s over, they are obliged by law to hang onto it, so a local helpful guy might be favourite.

The butler, Buckshot and mmamonster like this.
  4. pjgtech

pjgtech You're only Supposed to Blow the Bloody Doors Off!

1st, I'd double check your figures to be sure.
    Is it a new rifle? if so get it back to the dealer, he should not have sold it if its over 12, so he should either sort it out or swap it for another rifle thats not over.
    If its second hand, you can either fettle it yourself, (if you think you can), eg: remove power washers, lose a spring coil, etc, theres loads of info on the web how to do this, or maybe ask one of the guys on here to overhaul and service it for you?
    Hope you get it sorted buddy.... :thumb:

Trampilot likes this.
  5. binxkeys

binxkeys Engaging Member

My guess is you'll be needing to snip a couple of coils off the spring. How old is the rifle? Have you had it from new or are you aware of its history?

6. shauny

shauny Major Poster

crush/remove a coil asap.:thumb:

7. cdlftw

cdlftw Member

Sorry, didn't put that in. Bought in the last month from a local retailer.

8. binxkeys

binxkeys Engaging Member

That's great news. All you need to do is run it back to them :thumb:

9. squib

squib Busy Member

In that case take it back in for them to sort it.

10. rich79

rich79 Donator

Try to find another member close to you with a reliable chrono to compare it to, if its still over don't panic, it's half a fp not 5 or 6, it'll be easy to drop it down by removing a power washer or crushing a coil or two.
    If it's a new gun try to get it to 10.8 - 11fpe as it might slowly creep up anyway after a couple of tins of pellets.

11. sagalout

sagalout All the kit still ....

The butler, Patton and squib like this.
  12. Tom A

Tom A Engaging Member

What gun is it?

I'd try it against another chrono if you know other shooters or are a member of a club, because you're not reading far enough over that a dodgy chrono could be to blame.

As it's a new gun, take it to where you bought it. They'll have a chrono.

13. cdlftw

cdlftw Member

It’s a HW95.

14. QuoVadis69

QuoVadis69 Donator

An RFD has no legal right to seize your rifle. As it's a recent purchase I'd take it straight back as others have said and get it double checked.

15. Brandon James

Brandon James Brano

The article doesn't say what would then happen if the RFD then hands you the gun back when over the limit.

No one could in my view criticise an RFD for not handing it back as once they have your committing an offence of possession of a sec1 firearm.

Just because they don't have police seizure powers they do have the right not to commit an offence themselves.

It's over the limit and not worth arguing over. A call from the RFD to the police will end one way if they test it for you so is it worth trying to sue them? The police won't say oh its a civil matter and nothing to do with us so you'd best give it back or sort it out by civil remedy .

They'll seize, test it and look to take action if its over the limit.

If you've bought it from another RFD then the one you bought it from should arrange with the one holding your gun for it to be collected from them as its their issue to sort out being the seller so I'd make them aware and ask them to sort it out.

16. talyllyn

talyllyn Engaging Member

As the gun is clearly "unfit for purpose" then you should be able to get a full refund from the RFD. If you paid with a credit card they would back you up if needed.

This is assuming your chrono figures are correct of course!

Brandon James likes this.
  17. 243deer

243deer Active Member

If you do have to take it back to your RFD and they then test it and hand it back as being fine then make sure that you get their test results in writing, on headed paper, before you leave.

cdlftw, Marky-Boy and John Harrigan like this.
  18. sagalout

sagalout All the kit still ....

I just got my Lutonese chrono yesterday, so having a play today and whoops!

Whoops.JPG

19. bobbydazzler

bobbydazzler Engaging Member

20. binxkeys

binxkeys Engaging Member

I think this is a more common problem than we know. I would have a guess that 90% of airgun owners in the country don't have a chrono, and a good selection of them wouldn't know about the 12fpe limit anyway!

cdlftw and JamieB57 like this.