1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Original 50 Frustration Day Opinion Please

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Deejayuu, Oct 17, 2020 at 9:22 PM.

1. Deejayuu

Deejayuu Donator

Thanks for looking.
    Lovely thing in 5.5 mm calibre. Working order but failed compression check and some spring noise and loading tap severely tight. Opened up and as suspected very dry with any lube coagulated. Spring intact with slight buckle and some uneven gaps between coils when compressed. Spit'n'polish, soften leather washer, lubricate and reassemble. Passes comp. test easy.
    Disappointing 7+ with Exact 13.5 gn, 8+ with Jumbo 16 gn which surprised me.
    Try new spring very similar spec. Diesel, high, initially with 16 gn and 8ish with Exact.
    Less spring drops energy but more balanced toward light pellet
    Slamming?? Bore 28 x stroke 80 so should make energy OK.
    Very irritating.

2. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Could be a port length / lost volume issue a'la the later Airsporters? IIRC these never were "full power" guns..

hmangphilly and Deejayuu like this.
  3. Deejayuu

Deejayuu Donator

Sounds very likely. :up:

cloverleaf likes this.
  4. Brimfire

Brimfire Stirred, not shaken.

@Deejayuu, after fitting a synthetic piston washer to my example I've got nearer 6ft/lbs so count your blessings.

I overcame my disappointment by readjusting my expectations of this gun. It seems that these things were never as powerful as their size, weight, quality and reputation may suggest so I now regard it as Decorative rather than Functional and I like it a lot more because of that.

They're beautiful and elegant guns and firmly in the Collectible Class so I doubt few (if any) have them as their only gun or for Hunting. As such, it's allowed to be less than efficient or ruthlessly practical - I'd say get it shooting sweetly and enjoy it as a good looking, high quality, short range garden gun.

Deejayuu likes this.
  5. ajohn

ajohn Busy Member

The higher weight being better could suggests restricted air flow rates to the pellet.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 10:31 AM
  6. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Keyboard Hero

Tap loaders are a mechanical nightmare

Deejayuu likes this.
  7. Deejayuu

Deejayuu Donator

Not ours. We have one in 4.5 mm performing better :)

Interesting. I thought the opposite so will have a read.

Our Webley Mk3 10+ :thumb:

hmangphilly likes this.
  8. ajohn

ajohn Busy Member

As I am interested in Diana's I had a look. Seems 10ft lbs could be expected and more like 12 later in the 80's - it seems. A gunstartrader review though. Too big and heavy to interest me.
    Mention of tap loaders always reminds me of the HW57. Symptom - pellets flying way off course every now and again as it didn't always align correctly. Suppose they could leak and older guns seem to rely on fit for air tightness. Some pfpe grease might help. It wont detonate. That for bike chains maybe as it tends to be rather expensive in other forms.

9. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Keyboard Hero

Yeah .
    they don't make 'em like that any more though . Even those don't compare to current systems .

Think of all the things that have to come together ..

stacks of lost volume
    sealing of tap to cylinder
    sealing of tap to barrel
    Fit of pellet in loading tap
    indexing tap to barrel
    lateral alignment of tp to barrel
    mechanical transfer of pellet from tap to barrel

night mare

10. ajohn

ajohn Busy Member

;) You can buy a relatively inexpensive bore scope of amazon that will go up a 177. Not brilliant but sort of ok. Bought to see if I can do anything with the HW57 - when I can find it.

Proved useful to check an airsporter - I could see hand filing marks on the rifling from when the tap was fitted. Suspect that is what they are anyway.

Not looked at the Mk3 but webley seem to taper the tap so air flow may complete loading. BSA more of a conventional pellet loading.