1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Optisan Evx 4-12x44 Ao Ir Sf Scope Review

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by pjgtech, Aug 4, 2019.

1. pjgtech

pjgtech Top Poster

Well, what a nice scope!
    Bought this scope during the week, cos I wanted to change the duplex scope on my HW97 (.22), and I prefer mil dots or other ref points, I stupidly bought the Duplex scope without checking the scope!

Cost was £199 which seems to be about the going rate for these?

This Optisan scope has a 30mm tube, so I also treated myself to a nice one piece mount (Sportsmatch).

The scope comes in a lovely black glossy box, with lots of foam packing, it looks very luxurious.

Optisan Scope EVX 3-12x44 IR SF (6).jpg

The specification is:
    Magnification – 3-12x
    Objective Lens – 44mm
    FOV @ 100yds – 36.7ft / 9.2ft
    Diopter Adj – +2/-2
    Eye Relief – 3.8? / 3.5?
    Parallax Setting – 10yds – infinity
    Adj per click – ¼ MOA
    Max Windage Adj – 50moa
    Max Elevation Adj – 50moa
    Tube – 30mm
    Illumination IR - adjustable
    Length – 338mm
    Weight – 700g

It comes with a nice 3" metal side wheel, a removable metal sunshade, metal flip up covers (which can be unscrewed and removed), a nice large cleaning cloth, I hate it when you either get no cloth or its tiny! It also comes with a nice instruction manual and a explanation of the MH10 reticle.

Optisan Scope EVX 3-12x44 IR SF (7).jpg

So, off came the old scope and two piece mounts, on went the new one piece mount and then on went the new Optisan scope, easy peesy, no probs.

The HW97 is a heavy old lump, but personally I like a heavy springer, so its not an issue for me, this scope does not significantly affect the overall weight or balance, for me.

Down to the range I go this morning, eager to try out this new scope.
    I set the mag at just between x9 and x10.
    I set the AO (nice solid feeling SF turret), I do not use the included side wheel. I set it at 35m.
    I set the focus, again it has a nice solid feeling focus ring.

First thing that stands out is the quality and clarity of the glass, it has a crystal clear image and, even though it was quite cloudy and overcast today, it seems to let in lots of light. I like it... :thumb:

Optisan Scope EVX 3-12x44 IR SF (4).jpg I know this is a Censored photo of the ret, apologies, in reality its much better than this! :facepalm:

Second thing that stands out is the "feel" of the scope, it feels like its good quality, it feels well made, it feels expensive, even though, relatively, it not. I'm a huge Hawke fan and I think they are good value for money and provide good quality products. But this Optisan scope feels like a step up. I've also had some cheaper scopes, BSA Essential, Gamo, etc and this is chalk and cheese compared to those.

To change elevation or windage, you 1st click the turrets upwards, you can then turn them to alter POA and then click them back down to lock them. They have a nice positive click and require no coins or tools to use, easy.

Optisan Scope EVX 3-12x44 IR SF (11).jpg

I easily zero it to 20m within four pellets, first shot its shooting low and to the right, so after some up and left adjustment its bang on. I stretch it out to 30m, just a minor adjustment, I stretch it out to my preferred zero, 35m and again a minor adjustment, its now bang on at 35m. Our range goes out to 47m so I try a few of our bells, hitting them all, a couple of them only about 20mm wide, I also try out the thin metal strip hanging at the back which is about 10mm wide and hit that no probs, then try a few shot gun shells, hitting them too.
    For me, at that range, with my HW97 .22, this is good... :)

A nice feature is the resetable turrets, so once zeroed, you can then reset the numbered rings on the turrets back to zero, you if you then adjust for windage, elevation, etc, you can easily go back to the previous zero. Its easy to use, a simple system and a very handy feature.

The MH10 ret, to my mind is similar to the Hawke AMX ret, the sort of Xmas tree shaped ret, and as I have a couple of the Hawke Airmax scopes with the AMX ret it feels like familiar territory to me, its an easy to use ret, with lots of useful aim points.

The IR is just that, illuminated ret to help at low light conditions, to be honest I don't hunt or shoot at dusk / dawn, so I'm probably never going to use it, but its there, it works, its useful (if you need it), enough said...

Although I enjoy shooting it, my 97 is that tiny bit more of a challenge at the longer ranges, due to its .22 cal and the associated loopy trajectory, but with this scope, although its still loopy, its now as easy to shoot (especially at longer ranges) as my other .177 guns.
    The gun has always been good, but with the plain duplex scope fitted previously, it was a bit hit and miss at the longer ranges guessing the hold over with no ref points on the ret, this nice clear ret with its lovely clarity and several aim points helps enormously. I am now much more consistent at the longer ranges. I like it.... :thumb:

HW97 wiv Optisan EVX scope aug20192.jpg HW97 wiv Optisan EVX scope aug20194.jpg

So has the scope helped? yes.
    Is this scope an improvement on the last one? yes.
    Was it a good buy? for me, yes.
    Would I buy another one? yes.

My other scopes currently are:
    Hawke Panorama, Duplex ret
    Hawke Panorama, 30/30 ret
    Hawke Airmax, AMX ret (several)

I currently rate the Optisan EVX, IMHO, better than all the above.
    Is it the best scope in the World? no.
    Is it the worst scope i the World? no.
    Is it a good value scope for the cost? yes.

I hope this review has been of help to someone, thanx. :thumb:

2. Gary Jones

Gary Jones Pro Poster

Seems good for the money especially with the flip ups etc. Do they only come with the 30mm tube?

pjgtech likes this.
  3. Omega man

Omega man Engaging Member

Nice write up. I agree for £199 they’re a cracking scope.
    You’d have to spend heavily to get better.
    No intention of changing mine any time soon.
    Thanks for taking the time, great review.

pjgtech likes this.
  4. pjgtech

pjgtech Top Poster

Yep, AFAIK 30mm only.... :)

Gary Jones likes this.
  5. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

Very decent write up mate, thank you for taking the time. Sounds like it’s a winner

pjgtech likes this.
  6. Robgriff1

Robgriff1 Very Active

I gave mine a whirl today to dude I fitted it to my tx mk3 it only took 2shots for me to zero it 0A7C9152-8450-4D0D-9F54-964FF8C268CA.jpeg I took all the bits it came with off as I’m not a big fan (got a box full of those bits now lol)

pjgtech likes this.
  7. pjgtech

pjgtech Top Poster

When I got back into airguns I went big, and cheap, eg: all scopes were 50mm, and from the cheaper end of the market, but after a while I learnt that quality is better than size, so I slowly downsized my scopes to 40mm but with better glass, mostly Airmax's and Panorama's, so sorta mid range quality wise. I would have liked this scope to be 40mm, but they only had 44mm and its a nice size TBH. Never had a 44mm scope or a side focus (AO) scope before, not disapointed with this one. :thumb:

Robgriff1 likes this.