1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. No longer allowed Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- We now do not allow political and religion threads anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section) unless Airgun related and they must be put in the Airgun related politics section..

Staff will not move posts for you if you put it in the wrong section – it will simply be deleted. You will then have to type it all out again and put it in the right place, so heed this warning.

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Operation Chastise - The Dambusters.

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by Pete236, May 16, 2019.

1. Pete236

Pete236 Little Member

76 years ago, 617 squadron crews were nearing the damn of Rühr.

Out of 19 aircraft and 133 crew to take off, 8 aircraft and 53 crew didn't make it home.

Brave men. Per Ardua Ad Astra.

FB_IMG_1558046915634.jpg

Tim_B, dancza, Issac and 19 others like this.
  2. Blue BSA

Blue BSA Busy Member

3. BiggaJ

BiggaJ Donator

They just look stunning ... Beautiful aircraft and brave men that flew them.

QuoVadis69, Blue BSA and the dog like this.
  4. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pepe Le Pew

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Respect

Blue BSA likes this.
  5. PumpnGun

PumpnGun Donator

Brave Men indeed, they have my utmost Respect..

Ray

QuoVadis69 and Blue BSA like this.
  6. shauny

shauny Major Poster

but you couldnt call guy gibsons dog in public these days!:eek:

7. jesim1

jesim1 Big Poster

Grace in motion and respect to those who fought for all of us regardless of colour, creed or religion - better days in many ways.

BiggaJ and QuoVadis69 like this.
  8. Pistol p

Pistol p Engaging Member

Heroes to the last. It upsets me to see the fat nylon clad tattooed gangsters thriving these days. God bless them all.

QuoVadis69 likes this.
  9. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

I wanted to name my dog after Gibson's, I had to settle for Biggles instead...

shauny and ibo7 like this.
  10. secretagentmole

snowdog8.JPG
    The aforementioned, who was going to be named after Gibson's dog, in honour of those brave men of 617 squadron (he also chases Lancaster bombers)...

DSCF1397.JPG
    Proof!

shauny, Hampshire Tog and Pete236 like this.
  11. Pete236

Pete236 Little Member

Is that Jane at East Kirkby?

Have you heard about the Biggles book which was never published? Biggles Flys undone...

12. secretagentmole

Yes that is Jane, people were queueing up to take his photo by the port wheel... When she went off to do her taxi run the daft beggar nearly pulled me through the rope trying to get the back wheel. 4 Merlin engines going at speed and the daft Labrador wants to chase what he thinks is the worlds biggest pheasant....

I thought that book was released under the alternate title, "Biggles Flies Low!"

13. rich79

rich79 Donator

My great grandmother cat had the same name, she used to stand at the back door and call it in every night.

14. Pavarotti

Pavarotti Engaging Member

I have mentioned this on the forum before. There was a great radio series called "The Dambusters" on Australian radio. Well worth a listen. It is 60 years old but the sound quality is fine. Not only does it cover the Dams raid but is about 617 squadron and some of the lesser known operation undertaken after.

Raids on U boat pens, viaducts and tunnels and a vital mission carried out on D day. It covers raids against the V1 rocket factories and the use of the massive Barnes Wallis Tallboys and Earthquake bombs

I downloaded and recorded it and listened to it in the car. If you want to hear some brilliant radio I suggest you listen to it using this link.

https://archive.org/details/TheDambusters1954OtrAustralianRadio

Pete236 and Readie like this.
  15. wizwozuk

wizwozuk Busy Member

I count myself lucky to have seen two Lancs flying together! A sight (and sound) that will probably never be seen again.

065.JPG

rellum, BiggaJ, Readie and 1 other person like this.
  16. Pete236

Pete236 Little Member

617's post Dams career is fascinating. Their D-day missing made the Germans think the invasion was going in about 100 miles away from the actual spot and diverted a huge amount of weapons and men away from the invasion beaches. They must have saved thousands of lives.

And their accuracy with Barnes Wallace' big bombs was phenomenal. At a time when the average bomb run was made within a few miles of its intended spot, 617 could drop 18 bombs within 35 yards of each other, and bombs hit the ground in less than 5 minutes. From 18,000 feet, with no magnification on the bombsights. One chap put a bomb straight on the foredeck of the Tirpitz (Daniels I think his name was) and from 18,000 it looked like a small silver pin!

Wing Commander likes this.
  17. Pete236

Pete236 Little Member

I was dead lucky too. Made it to Conningsby and has a tour of the BBMF hangar with both Lancs in, also made it to Eastbourne to see them in the air together.
    2 Lancs in close formation flying below the white cliffs - that was something special.

But Just Jane isn't far off flying now, another couple of years work should see her airborne!

wizwozuk likes this.
  18. wizwozuk

wizwozuk Busy Member

I hope it does. I think they will fall in the final furlong because the testing is so stringent, but I hope they manage it.
    A mate of mine won a taxi ride in a raffle on one of the open days. He said it was amazing and would have been worth it if he'd have had to pay the full price.

Pete236 likes this.
  19. Pete236

Pete236 Little Member

I had a taxy run a few years ago for a birthday pressie. It was astonishing! The things are so small inside, so cramped. It was hard working moving a phone in jeans and t shirt, I couldn't imagine what is was like in flying suit and parachute!

wizwozuk likes this.
  20. secretagentmole

Biggles was born at the end of the runway for Coningsby, a village called Dogdyke...

Pete236 likes this.