1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Opening a Hawke scope

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Ruddles, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Ruddles

Ruddles Engaging Member

I've checked the forum (and read http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/173554-hawke-scopes), and I've Googled and Youtubed, but not really found the answer to this...

Is it possible to open a Hawke Sport-HD 3-9×50 IR (HK3016) at the objective end in order to refocus the lens to an air rifle-type distance?

I've applied bags of muscle but it won't move. One suggestion I've read is to heat the housing with very hot water and then use bags of muscle. Has anyone done this successfully?

Thanks in advance.

2. PhoenixElite

PhoenixElite Engaging Member

I managed it with my old Hawke 3-9x40 sport, which sounds pretty similar... once you finally get the lens cover off its easy, doesnt need much of a turn at all to refocus to shorter ranges. good luck mate

3. Ruddles

Ruddles Engaging Member

Thanks. Down to Screwfix for some Stilsons then!

4. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I do hope that's a joke. Try the tool used for opening bottles and jars which grip all around the circumference without marking it or you might find a small oil filter wrench which has a smooth gripping surface.

5. Ruddles

Ruddles Engaging Member

Hehe - yes, it was a joke. I'm not going to try any tools, just something to improve my grip. I just wanted some indication that it could be opened and wasn't glued in place.

Cheers!

6. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Thank heavens for that :D. The strap wrenches I mentioned should help you get a good grip without causing any damage. I think the difficulty depends on whether the loctite fairy was in the factory when your scope was assembled, good luck with it.

7. neiled

neiled Donator

Won't opening it up release all the gas inside?

8. Ruddles

Ruddles Engaging Member

The gas will be behind the objective lens: I'm only going to screw the lens in/out slightly. Whatever happens, any opening I create won't be large enough to allow the nitrogen inside to mix freely with the air outside. The gas inside isn't pressurised as far as I'm aware... is it?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  9. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Most people don't seem to have any problems but it's worth doing it slowly just a 1/4 turn at a time. I expect the nitrogen is slightly pressurised but it won't be much.

10. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Go to a good photographic dealers,you can buy filter wrench which is used to remove filters from the front of camera lenses without damaging them or the lens

11. Ruddles

Ruddles Engaging Member

Okay, first of all, thanks for everyone's replies. Unfortunately I haven't made any progress so before I wreck the scope, please can I check I'm pulling and pushing the right bits?

Should I be trying to twist A and B in opposite directions (which is what I've been doing) or is there something inside where the C arrow is pointing that I should be trying to loosen?

scope.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  12. jjones

jjones Well-Known Member

for my 3-9x40, I held onto A, twisted B anti clockwise. This unscrewed the end cap - but - the lens is still connected to B (with Loctite I think), so I can now adjust my AO by simply turning B until it focuses. This is not 100% ideal as it is not "locked" into a position and is a nit looser than a normal AO adjuster, but it works and I can focus down to 8 yards with no parallax!!

The "proper" procedure (I believe) is:

Hold A, turn B anti clock wise.
    This will loosen the locking ring (B is the locking ring).
    Now if you look in at C you will see 2 cut outs on the metal that holds the lens opposite each other. You should be able to spin C using these 2 points as "lugs" for a tool (I have heard of people chopping bank cards to fit) - be careful as it is easy to scratch the lens.
    Once happy with position of C, tighten B to hold it all in place.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  13. Ruddles

Ruddles Engaging Member

Well give the man a coconut! A and B came apart exactly as described and the objective refocuses, but I'd love to spin the little ring with the lugs cut into it...

Okay then, let's see how it goes! :)

14. JD

JD Donator

Hopefully part C will not spin, but just turn when you apply light pressure.

Part C it should be a fairly firm fit.

15. Ruddles

Ruddles Engaging Member

I made a tool to fit the notches in Part C bit it won't move. I'm giving up for now.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

:(

16. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

wrap some self amalgamating tape around the lock ring, if you're a man it will unscrew, if you're a girl you will need a constrictor plumbers aid tool.