1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Open Ticket?

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by harry brown, May 14, 2014.

1. harry brown

harry brown Banned

What is the minimum time before you can apply for an 'Open ticket' When my FEO visited he said he'd allow me one after 18 months providing I kept my nose clean. I've read some people are issued with an open ticket from day one? Others it appears wait 5yrs.
    Again, it's probably different in neighbouring counties.

I ask because I've found some more land to shoot occasionally when in that area which is suitable IMO and also been invited by my Uncle to shoot some land he owns up country, which is not gonna be often.

I'm not in any rush but wouldn't mind sooner rather than later.

2. neiled

neiled Donator

I've read somewhere that there is now no such thing as "open ticket" as they all come with various restrictions. Give your FEO a call and ask him again what he thinks.

3. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

If there's restrictions on your ticket stating where your guns can be used, then you'll need to have these looked at by your FEO to get them changed.

I've heard of such restrictions being put in place depending on experience with certain guns, and the land you will be using them on.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  4. harry brown

harry brown Banned

It states 'land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area the land is situated' It doesn't say which land. But what if it's not been cleared, this is what the FEO said I could assess myself after a probation period. Also if shooting in other counties their police might not have the same policy?

He didn't put any restrictions on my knowledge or handling after he read the dossier he turned up with at my door. He was satisfied that I knew/understood about safe handling and arc's of fire/backstops etc.

5. neiled

neiled Donator

Mine has very similar if not the same wording and my FEO said most, if not all farm land was "deemed suitable by the chief officer of police" and would be ok for me to shoot on provided I had the owners permission.

6. harry brown

harry brown Banned

So can you shoot on any farm land in your county providing you have owners/tenants permission? Also where would you stand travelling into a different force area?

7. neiled

neiled Donator

I believe I would be ok on any farmland in North Wales provided I had permission but I'd ask the farmer/tenant first if he knew it had been cleared for FAC first just to be on the safe side. Outside of North Wales I'm not sure and I'd need to check up on this.

Where are all the old heads when you need them...............

8. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

Best thing to do is call your FEO for clarification. At least this way you can't claim you didn't know as it may cause issues at renewal time if you've gotton into bother for the conditions.

9. harry brown

harry brown Banned

Yes I'll do that. Better safe than sorry.

10. warrenater

warrenater Donator

Dont know about other areas but mine was made open 18 months ago after 4 years but i had to ask and did so when i put in for a variation.

11. scoop

scoop Busy Member

I got mine on an open ticket first time with no previous experience with centre fire

12. harry brown

harry brown Banned

So can you select ground to shoot (permission assumed) without clearance from the police? Also can you shoot in different counties?

13. scoop

scoop Busy Member

My shoots are in another county from where i live
    It says on my ticket that i can only shoot on land which i have permission so if i get more land to shoot i will be covered unless i inspect it and reject it for that calibre

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  14. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

If you have an FAC you can shoot anywhere in the UK, county borders make no difference.

Put simply, a 'closed' ticket means you can shoot anywhere, if you have permission from the landowner and the land has been surveyed by an FEO or similar and passed as suitable for the calibre you are going to use, an 'open' ticket means the same as above, but the FAC holder makes the judgment on whether the land is safe or not.

Re having restrictions lifted, its down to the individual, if you put 5000 rounds through a year, you're likely to get a ticket opened, but again, its very much down to the licencing manager and force internal policy.

Most say 3 years, or on first renewal.

15. neiled

neiled Donator

Thanks Kyska

I knew we'd get someone come on that could explain it better for us newbies......:up:

16. tisme

tisme Donator

Spot on advice. Just to add, if you had lots of permissions in the first year or so, the FEOs get a bit fed up looking at them for approval. They also know that you have been safe (or not) and sometime open your fac up earlier so that you can judge if it a safe place.

17. peststopper

peststopper Member

You never ask for an open ticket because it can never be truly open, you apply to have restrictions taken off, i applied after 12 months after keeping 6 month shooting diary and logging outings with local police, just wanted my rimmie and fac air restrictions taking off and it was done within 2 weeks of applying, the diary helped massively

18. adymorris

adymorris Keyboard Hero

the restrictions on where you can shoot are in effect the closed part of the ticket, if you apply, as some members have and been granted an open ticket (it does not say open or closed on the license), then it is, what is commonly refereed to as "open", you only apply to have restrictions lifted if your wording states the land deemed suitable by the chief of police, the quarry restrictions are relating to the caliber, not where you can shoot

I got mine opened up after 18 months up to & including .223 but then when I got a .243 it remained closed until renewal

it differs massively depending on your region