1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Open Sights On My Tx200 Update.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by telephonepete, Aug 12, 2018 at 10:33 PM.

1. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

Well trying to work out how to put open sights on my tx has been keeping my mind busy for the last week. I,d like to say thanks to Jim for all his help in putting me in contact with somebody local to me who does 3d printing which still remains a possibility. As you all know the transfer port on the tx is in a direct line straight into the barrel unlike the 77 which is angled up which makes the barrel on the 77 higher than the tx. This means that the forsight on the 77 is higher in its relationship to the rear sight. This means gaining height with the tx forsight to get it in line with the scope rail on which is the williams rear. Its this raising of the forsight that has been giving me the most head scratching.This is what i have come up with up to now. The first thing was the backsight height. As you see it in the pic i can get on to it easily. the comb of the cheekpiece is a bit to high for open sights but is fine like this. Then the foresight has been highered to about a 20 yard zero. I seem to be able to aim dead on from 15yards to 28 yards to produce a 1inch 5 shot group which is fine fore me. My nephew is making me a 1inch barrel extn which screws in the plenum void and the sight will be mounted on top not i hasten to add with blue tac. I may go the 3d printing way but this may not get me the height i need or i may keep it very simple and use black milliput just less of it and it stays soft for ages to allow for adjustment but goes rock hard the next day. It can be filed so easy to tidy up when hard and i would keep it all under the sight. So i,m waiting now for the barrel extention. 20180812_144941.jpg 20180812_144931.jpg 20180812_144936.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 11:10 PM
  2. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Major Poster

Interesting thread Pete. Can’t wait to see how it ends up

3. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

Thanks mikey. Yes it is interesting you have to get the rear sight height correct first as the stock is a bit high for open sights. And follow on.from there. Its great to shoot though. Suddenly a very meaty gun becomes much lighter.

4. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

pete,why dont you get nephew to knock up a collar ,as i suggested and fix the sight to the collar. you will not damage the bluing,
    and you will be able to remove it easy.

5. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

Yes i thought on that shaun for quite a long time it seemed the simplest all round but how would you secure it. Sideways movement is ok because the ends of the collar could be made to touch the barrel securing housing. Bearing in mind i dont want to mark the barrel how would you stop it from moving up and down the barrel. Also the height i have to gain is considerable which would make the delrin band very thick and perhaps not look so good. If i bring the foresight down heightwise then that means the williams sight has to come down and the cheek piece stops me getting behind the peep sight. Your thoughts are very welcome because yours is a very simple solution. Gun tart as i am its got to look nice.

6. Dag

Dag Big Poster

Thanks Pete and I hope you and Steve manage to get something made which does indeed meet your requirements.
    I think you have to think outside the box on this one as the items that Steve can make can be more than just plain collars. I have on my CP88 CO2 pistol an extension made by him which replaces the original front section and is not only a silencer with baffles incorporated but has a front sight on top and a dovetail below it to take a laser sight
    . I'm pretty sure you will get something designed between the two of you that gives you the height you need to mount the front sight or indeed has the sight integral to it.
    Good luck
    Jim

image.jpeg image.jpeg

7. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

Thanks jim its a very interesting devolpement for all sorts of applications.

8. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

you could tap a couple of threads and use a couple of nylon grub screws

9. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

But that would mean damage to the shroud and i want to be able to remove this mod with no sign. Your idea is the easiest and quickest. Another reservation the delrin collar would have to be very thick to give the height i need. The way i am thinking of the only down side is making the barrel a little longer for the look of it. But that can be removed for scope use.i could try it both ways.

10. hairyarms

hairyarms .

I have just seen this Pete I did a similar thing on my old Gamo break barrel. I used black sikaflex sealent ( I suppose black silicone would work ?) to glue the truglo to the barrel shroud it didn't damage the metal and you can pick it off if you don't like it.

11. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

hi micah it wont be solid enough for the tx i will have to be able to reposition the forsight whilst testeing the position of the forsight. i think i will use a more solid medium.

hairyarms likes this.
  12. hairyarms

hairyarms .

It's good stuff Pete more like rubber than silicone really. I will ask the toolmaker at work to wire erode a foresight blade that can fix behind the plenum silencer, it won't be a truglo though just a bog standard metal blade.

13. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

I dont know what that means Micah but thanks

14. hairyarms

hairyarms .

image.jpeg
    Sorry Pete a wire eroder is a machine toolmakers use to cut very thick and hard metal he has made brass trigger blades in the past. Here is my idea sorry about the rubbish pic my technical drawing is a bit ropey since I cut my fingers. All the best Micah.
    P.S the bolt is half inch unf I might be able to make something out of that for you.

15. FPoole

FPoole Busy Member

Why not a smaller version of the mount used on a Sheridan pumper? Sort of a vertically split clamp that grabs the shroud with a screw or two to pull the two halves together. The top would have a dovetail on it and you could use the fore sight in the picture. Wrap a layer of tape to protect the shroud.

16. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

I,m getting there Micah. Its very good of you to get involved and i think its a very interesting idea. youve started me thinking in a different direction and i,ll try and draw it out later i,ve got a couple of jobs on this morning but this afternoon i,ll try and draw it and put it on later.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 7:46 AM
  17. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

Thanks i,ll see if i can google it and have a look. lots of great ideas coming.