1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Open Carry

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by tombillings916, Jun 4, 2014.

1. tombillings916

tombillings916 Donator

There's a row going on in Texas about people openly carrying their guns in public, ie Assault Rifles over their shoulders in public eating places! and we worry about getting a visit from the Police when we apply for a Firearms Certificate, different world isn't it.

2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Must be the new dick extension:)

3. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Aye; just as (IMO) our firearms legislation is farcically draconian and heavy-handed over here, it's far too lax in the USA. Once again it appears that the moderate mainland European countries generally have the right idea..

4. leaky5

leaky5 Donator

My boss lives in Texas and we occasionally discuss shooting. He was quite surprised how tightly controlled it is over here. As he described it over there its ' mainstream' no one bats an eyelid about anything shooting related

5. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The firearms laws in this country are a bad joke, they cause all sorts of problems for law abiding shooters and do nothing to stop criminals. In the USA the situation varies considerably from state to state, at one extreme they seem to be worse than here and on the other almost non existent. Problems seem to arise when the police/authorities don't act on reports of people with severe mental health issues and those who talk about going on shooting sprees or getting revenge etc. No matter where you go it's illegal to shoot others let alone kill them often on penalty of life inprisonment or even death yet these things do still happen, maybe having a gun makes the killing easier to do but people still run amok with knives or swords and kill or injure many. Some even use cars as a weapon.
    The public, even in the UK, readily accept seeing heavily armed police wandering about (often with scant regard for simple firearm safety rules) so why should they worry about seeing a private citizen with a gun - it's the ones that you can't see that should be more of a worry.

6. AlanOthen

AlanOthen Member

I lived in Virginia for 3 years and so have some first hand experience. Virginia is probably about average as far as gun control is concerned in the US (apart from the NRA oasis at Manassas of course!), but many of my friends kept assault rifles, machine pistols and hunting rifles in their houses on open display. The only thing that was controlled tightly was the carrying of concealed weapons in public.

I remember once shopping in a Wal-Mart store just over the state line in WV and being offered a very nice new Beretta OU 12G for only $800 (then £400) on the strength of my VA drivers' license (although I was not even American, never mind a West Virginian). The salesman was very apologetic that he could only sell me 1000 cartridges that day, but if I came back with a letter from my local deputy sheriff I could take as many as I liked. I do remember thinking at the time that gun control was a bit too lax (by chance, soon afterwards Wal-Mart decided not to sell firearms). There were, I suppose, minor local shooting incidents most weeks, mostly involving alcohol and trailer parks, generally these only (just) made the local papersand would not have been any interest to the Washington Post. I still much preferred it to the UK's nanny state controls over legally held weapons (but of course no control at all over criminals' weapons).

I still find it bizarre that the police come to inspect my shotguns that have to stored in a strong cabinet, that I have to buy airguns and even pellets from a registered dealer and that my 9 year old son cannot legally buy caps for his toy pistols. Americans are amazed that air guns are limited to 12 ft.lbf and they cannot be ordered from the Sears catalogue and delivered along with the regular mail by the USPS (so am I). We seem to accept as a nation that almost everything should be either tightly regulated or banned (hunting comes to mind), but I suppose that is the price for 60 million of us live in a small place fairly convivially.

My moaning is not going to change anything, so there not really a point here, apart from grin and bear it. If anything regulation is likely to get tighter, before we know it air guns will be banned in Scotland and us Englishmen (and women) will have to licence air guns, which will by then be limited to 6 ft.lbf (or surely a metric equivalent in Joules mandated by the EU).

:)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  7. AlanOthen

AlanOthen Member

1 ft.lbf = 1.3558179483314 joules of course!

8. Ruddles

Ruddles Engaging Member

I once had a visit from a Firearms Officer who correctly identified my .308 as a bolt-action but was confused when I explained there was a magazine:-

FO: "So where does it go?"
    Me: "It doesn't - it's integral - built-in."
    FO: "So how do you out the rounds in?"
    Me: "From the top." <I push the magazine base plate down>
    FO: "Show me..."
    Me: "I don't have any dummy .308 rounds."
    FO: "Can't you use live rounds - just to show me?"

I put one live round in. FO makes a "hmm" sound and asks me to put another one in.

FO: "So how does it get into the chamber?"

I explain how the bolt strips the top round out of the magazine and feeds it into the chamber.

FO: "Show me..."
    Me: "You want me to chamber a live round? Here in my spare bedroom? "
    FO: "Yes please. I mean... it won't go off, will it?"

9. yorkshireshoot

yorkshireshoot Posting Addict

Dont have fac or try to understand it but this is quality :)

10. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Wow Not good!!!! A game of giant pinball in your spare bedroom if that went off!!!
    Are you talking about your FEO, or a firearms officer. (AFO)
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  11. Ruddles

Ruddles Engaging Member

.308 is the calibre of the AK-47. Imagine that going off in a suburban bedroom, maybe going through a window and spoiling someone's day half a dozen streets away!

12. Ruddles

Ruddles Engaging Member

Uniformed. He came round to check security, match serial numbers on guns to certs and count stocks of ammo when I applied for a renewal.

13. Springrrr

Springrrr Active Member

We have this little problem child called the Constitution that has given the right of the people (who in many other original documents means the general population, not just the militia) to keep and bear arms.

There are over 20,000 gun laws on the books, that if just enforced, would solve many problems. In the western states, where guns are a family way of life, there is very few problems. People respect other people and children respect firearms because they are taught from the get go about them.

I came from the People's Republic of the state of New Jersey where the laws are harsh and really draconian, all air guns, no matter what the power are considered firearms and you have to get a permit for each and every one you buy and you are not allowed to buy more than one a month due to recent law changes I believe. When I moved to Tennessee, I was able to obtain a pistol carry permit and that too comes with a number of restrictions. So it is not the free for all wild west that many think it to be.

I do not open carry although I am allowed to here in Tennessee. There are just too many people from states like New Jersey that would go ballistic if they saw a "man with a gun" but what is going on it Texas now is an attempt at a law change to allow open carry by public education. Again, I believe Texas allows open carry of long arms but not pistols and this is why certain people are exercising their rights.

I don't feel this it the way to go, average people just don't see it that way, but my friend in Virginia, has done very well with the Virginia Citizens Defense League to educate not only the public but local law enforcement when it comes to open carry.

14. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

One of the problems in the UK (in general, not just firearms) is that there are too many laws on the books and politicians seem to think that introducing another law will sove any problem. Owning a gun, a knife, a motor vehicle or a baseball bat does not create a criminal. It's the use of that item which can turn into a crime, you don't need a law that creates an offence of stabbing a person when there is already a good selection of existing laws which would be broken by that action. It is illegal to kill someone (except in a few specified situations) and it is just as illegal whether a gun, knife, hammer or motor vehicle is used to carry out the killing.
    I believe it would be helpful if we had far fewer laws which could be reduced to basics (almost like the 10 commandments if you will) so that people knew exactly where they stand and the grey areas which lawyers love could be eliminated or greatly reduced. It would be a step in the right direction if, when a new law is put on the books, any previous ones which it supersedes are removed and any parts which are still required are simply written into the new one. At the moment it can be a difficult job to work out exactly what part of which Act applies as there may be a trail of Acts going back many years which all apply in some way or another. Of course it all makes work for the legal profession but surely a simplified system would be better for us all.
    Firearms legislation in the Uk is primarily a succession of knee jerk reactions by politicians seeking to gain popularity and votes from an ill informed public, people who get their information from a sensationalist media seeking to gain circulation and advertising revenue - never let the truth get in the way of a good story. The first laws were brought in because the government was afraid that the soldiers returning from the Great War, fully trained and disciplined, might follow the Russian example and revolt after the shameful way they were treated both during and in the aftermath of the conflict. No government that fears its own people is worthy of trust. :soap:

15. sloter

sloter Active Member

:eek:

16. tombillings916

tombillings916 Donator

Isn't there a law that still allows us to shoot Welshmen on a Sunday with a bow and arrow! :D

17. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Only us from lincoln are allowed I'm afraid. and we have to go to the castle battlements to do it. :) :)
    If you fancy a Welshman shooting holiday you know where to come. :):):)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  18. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

Shhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell people! ^^^

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  19. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

On Youtube there is an interview with a restaurant owner who gives 10% off to diners if they produce and open carry or conceal carry permit. I think it was on the Munchies channel.

20. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator