1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

One for Sorrow, two for joy,

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by engraver, Sep 20, 2014.

1. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Had a the afternoon to myself today, so I decided to take the Rapid out and do a bit of shape shifting target species corvids.

So took a small net and a few crow deeks.

Anyhow went up to the farm had a look on one field, the field was grey over, as soon as the latch went on the gate whoosh about 300 woodies got up and buggered off, so I returned to the car and went elsewhere I just know this time of year the birds are bunching up and wont be coming in ones and twos.

But I wasn't after woodies really but them and crows often come hand in hand.

So I went and set up on the other famous wheat field and near my fave sitty tree, chucked my crows down and net and snuggled into the hedgerow, I always take a Maggie deek and put a lone Maggie onlooking the crows as this usually makes them interested.

I wasn't long before a chatter in the distance, so a toot on my crow call, or more of a caaawww caaaawww caaaaaw, and in comes the lone Maggie, chattering away, I line my shot up but hes moving around I wait for a pause and slip the shot, It clips him but not great he hits the floor squawking like crazy when a massive buzzard startled me coming in wings spread low on the field, have never seen one fly so low so knew immediatelty he was coming for said Maggie.

Anyway he gets within feet of it and changes his mind and with a few big flaps, he settles in the sitty tree the bow of the branch moves and sagged as it took his weight.

Then all hell broke loose, maggies came in like from nowhere mobbing the buzzard, and to my surprise another smaller buzzard then comes to the try and drops on the shot Maggie, grabs it like a rag doll and takes off with it, with the other bigger bird just sat chilling out on the branch.

I didn't know which Maggie to go for but eventually got a clear shot on one, and pop this one came down dead in the air and stuck in a hedge so I left it be.[​IMG]

Then the buzzard takes off.

Still loads of maggies now hovering around the shot bird in the hedge so took one in the tips of the branches he came down stone cold bouncing off every branch on the way down and slumped onto the dirt track below, they all then got the message and disappeared.

Not 15mins passed and a lone woodies came in and treed up, that one was a nice long shot as I set up further from the tree than usual and was a clean pole axed 35-38 yrd shoulder shot, not a wing flap from that one.

So it went quiet and on the way back to the car, I had an hour sat in the wood waiting for maybe a squirrel but didn't see any today, so used the opportunity to change quarry types for target practice on my favourite dead tree which is 30 yrds,[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] and put some tidy little groups in as you can see the pellet holes in its trunk easily.[​IMG]

Then blades of grass were the next living target species, followed by buds and berries out to 45 yrds, yep the old girl still has it, and the lightstream is a nice scope, although I still have a softspot for my old bushnell elite, and that will be going on my new rather nice anchutz triggered newly acquired ,22 shortly when Its all finished to my standards, anyhow on return home passed a new seeded field on my other patch of land black over with crows, we will see what the morning brings:up:[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  2. Seamaster

Seamaster Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

As always, a great post.
    I had a Maggie frenzie last weekend, shot one at 28yds stone dead with the HW100 and within seconds there was a riot, with the whole family coming to shout about the fallen brother. I tried to keep focussed but missed the next shot. Luckily they weren't put off and I dropped a second one pretty quickly. They all cleared off for a few minutes but couldn't resist coming back for another chunter and I managed to drop a third. So three for a girl!
    I always think that, for every magpie you shoot, you save at least five clutches of song birds in the spring.

Chris

3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Brilliant read mate!!

i might of asked this before, but how does that little belita mod perform:)

4. harry brown

harry brown Banned BANNED

I agree with the above posts, another great read and knowledge passed on!

5. themadspread

themadspread Donator

nice one my son

6. indiginous3554

indiginous3554 Donator

Another great post well worth waiting for

7. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Thanks lads glad you enjoyed reading.

Steve the belita Is about the same as the old theoben evolution silencer mate but smaller shorter and lighter, makes the gun dead pointable mate.

Atb elliot.

8. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Great read, particularly as I picked up a magpie permission today at a local stables. I almost had my first too but the lucky b****r took off at the last second and all I managed to do was knock out two of his tail feathers!

9. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Great news on the permission mate! So, somewhere legal to go and shoot at last. Always a good feeling. Well, it's Sunday and this is the morning you said you were going to approach that farm you haven't asked yet after not having luck with the others in your area, so you going to do it or what lol? :D I'll be crossing my fingers for you if you go there and ask ;). Let us know how you got on and what he said, yes or no won't you? :) Good luck!!

Andy :)

10. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Thanks mate, this is my second stables permission now, just no farms yet!

Yep I'm going to pop over this morning and give it a go :) Hopefully I'll get a result

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  11. warrenater

warrenater Donator

12. tombillings916

tombillings916 Donator

Another well written and amusing ditto Elliot, keep knocking them black and whiter muggers out of the sky mate, gives them plenty to squawk about :D

13. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

Nice shooting engraver :) always good to see some Magpies getting their just desserts. And buzzard feeding also ! Love it :D

One of the great (and l do mean great) great things with shooting magis (esp' from a concealed position) you normally always get a crack at more than one ;) Although, l've still yet to achieve as many as 7x in one spot, at one time, , , :cool:

We turly do only get out what we put in, and you do have some fantastic hunts mate, cheers for sharing :up:

14. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Of course, I do beg your pardon :D. As soon as I read it I thought of the time you mentioned the "Equestrian" folks you so some maggie shooting for. I will re-phrase. Always a good feeling to gain a new permission :). Now to just get a farm as you say.

15. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Good shooting engraver :). Saw a load of maggies up my mates farm yesterday, but all so wary they were gone a long time before my .22 came into range. I will be trying the "sit down and hide in the trees" approach that you use so well soon, as it's the only way I'm going to get any crow family and pigeons up there. I crept up on 3 pigeons so quietly yesterday they didn't know I was there until the very last second. Problem was, I didn't know they were there either as they were near the very top of a large oak still so thick with leaves, It was impossible to see them :rolleyes:.

16. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Its all about finding a good spot Andy where the birds are going daily, building a hide and sitting it out I believe static hunting beats stalking hands down for a number of reasons, the main one when you get a shot opportunity you have time your heartrate is slow and you can shoot rested and know your ranges by putting markers out,

My advice is to get an ex mod net and some good lightweight poles the best you can afford will last the longest, and those two purchases will get your more sport than anything else, all you need is patience, make the birds come to you not the other way around:up:

17. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Sounds like good advice as I am not long in from a walk around the farm and I saw a good few pigeons and magpies again today and as usual can't get close enough before they're off. I need a new plan and yours sounds like a good one :)

18. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I was the same many years ago mate, I shot all my quarry from trying to stalk around but I was young and fit then lol.

I sit now hours but Im never bored, it comes with age, but when it comes to feathered quarry their eyes are far better than a rabbits, so hide is the way to go, and you also need to cover your face and hands in the hide, think about it like this, if you could see yourself from 30yrds away so can the birds especially corvids.;)

19. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Good stuff Elliot - we have drilled the rape, but being so dry it hasn't chitted yet. Still time to get the deeks out. I haven't had them out of the shed yet this year - no laid corn this year!