1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

On the news this morning I heard.......

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by jantar, Jun 17, 2014.

1. jantar

jantar Donator

Did I hear correctly? I heard that the school teachers are now requesting that they be given the powers to fine the parents of children who are not made to do their homework or are unsupervised doing their homework and ensuring that it is handed in on time.
    ;) Bummer.....If I don't comply I hope I don't get the stick or some lines to do.....or have to stay back after school......Where will it end :confused:

Is this the real world? I thought that the teaching was supposed to be done in schools and that any parental assistance was purely voluntary or if the parents had some convenient time bearing in mind that most work and any single parents already have very full days looking after their own homes.
    I hope this request is given the boot and that measures are put into place to ensure that our children leave school educated to a basic level where thay can at least do the 3 R's. Anything further than that should be voluntary and by the parental/childrens choice. The teachers are not the parents and it should not be their decision.
    I would also think that should it go through then there may be cases brought by parents for contravening their Human Rights. Count me as one of them......
    To end any controversy bring back the school discipline as it used to be and reinstate the requirement to use the terms of Mr, Miss when addressing their teachers. Little wonder there is little respect in the classrooms when the use of forenames brings all to the same level. I also believe that children ought to be polite, realise that they are there to learn and that it is their future at stake if they leave school ignorant of the basic 3 R's skills rendering them virtually unemployable.
    Surely that is not a reasonable expectation?

2. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I have taught my kids more than any school has, spent hours reading books and writing, spelling maths etc...

By the time my little one (7) reaches secondary school age I am pulling her out of the formal education system and home tutoring her, there are no schools locally that are fit to be a toilet let alone places of education.

Guns and knives being used in the classroom - against teachers and fellow pupils, class A drugs floating around like sweeties, extremist elements creeping in and taking over (that's the pupils not the teachers), teachers that are so scared of their environment that they cannot even spell - I corrected 3 spelling mistakes last week alone from the weekly tests she brings home from primary school.

Nope, not having a bar of this 'education system' anymore!

3. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Hi Steve,

As you know I live in Devon in Bideford. My wife was a Teacher of some 39 years at the same junior school until her retirement. Over the years I too have been a bit involved in her school but only in the normal way spouses sometimes are so I have a very good insight of what has been going on at the school over the years. When I read comments such as yours I find them so far removed from what I know, it's almost as if you live in some third world country, what you describe simply would not be recognised be folk down here.

What you describe would not be tolerated either by parents or Teachers that live and work in Devon, that I am certain of. I have to wonder what it is that has gone wrong for you in the "West Midlands", I have my own ideas, but If I come right out and say what I think, I will be like as not be banned and accused of being all kinds of ists! The truth is easy to see, the writing is well writ on any wall you care to look at, but no-one is allowed to talk about it!!!

I will say what I think I might be allowed to, multi-culturalism has been a disaster from the word go.

4. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I believe this is a government suggestion, not teachers.
    Parents have the responsibility for their children and that includes making sure they receive an education. Surely any parent would read bedtime stories etc to their children and once they start bringing home work the parents should ensure that it is done properly and returned on time. People make choices to have children (and dogs. cats etc) and they should be prepared to take on the responsibilities and duties that follow on from their decisions. It does sem as though a lot of parents think that they only need push their children out of the front door in the morning and no more. Schools are there to provide the environment and resources for the children to learn, parents have to support children and teachers to achieve this and this would be helped of parents taught their children to act in a civilised manner. Sadly this won't happen and parents will continue to blame schools and the state for the way that their children turn out, learning starts immediately after birth not when the child starts school for the first time.

5. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Good speech!:up:

6. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet Ray but best leave sleeping dogs lie, Just to add that multiculturalism was working up 9/11 and then everything went Pete Tong afterwards! The youngsters these days don't want to be part of a mixed society.

There are pitched race gang battles being waged in the schools as we speak, only last week at my son's old secondary school, gangs attacked teachers with bricks and sticks as they left the school in the afternoon - the violence is not contained to their peers anymore, there is usually two police riot vans stationed outside the school gates every afternoon. Somebody recently let off some kind of tear gas grenade in a fight between two girls and automatic handguns are not uncommon in the school.

I will not be sending my daughter into that pit of vipers to be abused, brainwashed and used as a personal play thing by this scum.

Hopefully but the time she is 11 we will be well out of this stinking hole, the government should erect a 30ft high ring of steel around it and other places like it.

I wonder if Kurt Russell (Snake Pliskin) will be around to make a sequel - Escape from Birmingham?

7. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Could not have written this better myself. :thumb:

8. jantar

jantar Donator

You are all about right SteveO_R10, Evolve82 and terry1001....
    I know that we have a few of the 'Academies' in this area, including the 'faith' ones and in none of them are the puplils allowed to call their tuturs by anything other than Sir, Miss. If it is that is having the effect of instilling decent behaviour into them then why not have the same rule applied into the stae system? It is very noticable that the pupils from the 'Academy' schools behave very differently to those from the state schools in this area inasmuch as they are polite and tend to be more tolerant of others. You can tell those from the state ones even before you see them by the manner in which they talk to you and by the type of language used.
    My neighbours daughter has just given in her notice as a teacher and is going back into nursing, a profession she qualified before becoming a teacher, giving the reasons that she now felt that her career as a teacher was being made harder by the millitant faction of them demanding more and more for less and less. She also said that she had never been a part of any strike action and had made certain that her pupils were given the education she was employed to give. I had to sympathise with her because I know she is a good teacher having seen her at work and seen the meritous certs awarded to her by her school for the work she did.
    No doubt others will try to give the teachers support but that for me falls on deaf ears because my own personal experiences tell me I am correct.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  9. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Edit

10. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

We are fortunate to live in an area that has not fallen into the hell that some places have. We do have poor schools which produce some lets say "savory children" here who also have the parents to match. We have just enrolled our daughter into a school that the locals say "only snobs go there", so now she is getting called a snob and posh git etc just because we want her to have a better education.
    My answer to my daughter when this happens is..............wait till your 18 and see where they are and where you are, then you will see who has the last laugh.

11. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Absolutely, but peer pressure can be a terrible thing to bear for a teenager, I am not for one minute suggesting you do anything different, but do keep a good eye on.:)

12. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

I will be doing just that, but it helps that she also wanted to go to this particular school, it will cost us but it will be worth it.

Ps, nice to see the previous comment has been deleted.:rolleyes:

13. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I feel really sorry for teachers (and nurses) for what they have to put up with, My son's old school recently bought in one of these 'super heads' to straighten the school out after OFSTED placed it in special measures for every category, she came in guns ablazing and excluded the troublesome kids right away.... then the local authority came in and yanked the rug from under her feet and overrode her decisions and re-instated these excluded youngsters stating that they had 'a duty of care' towards them!

What about their duty of care to the good guys who want to learn but who cannot through fear, intimidation and distraction?

These kids now think they can do what the hell they want and without consequences, mark my words... before long I will be reporting back that someone has lost their life due to the behaviour of these kids.

My son was fortunate with his education in that he had the best teachers while he attended there, he showed them respect and received it in return making his school days that bit easier, but they all left two years ago along with his class of 2012 and the school is now staffed by these teachers who gain their qualifications 'on the job' (can't remember the name but I'll ask my Mrs as she's a parent governor)

I've given him some advice that has stood him in good stead throughout his schooling, one was to respect the authority of the teachers as you would me, eventually you will stand out against the other kids and gain a reputation with the teachers as being one of the good ones, you will have an easier life but must tread a fine line with your peers so you are not branded a teachers pet or a snitch.... Something he did very well and he walked out with a decent education. It could have been better but his engineering teacher left half way through his exam period and committed suicide due to racist abuse from children of his own background.

Three teachers have committed suicide recently from that school due to harassment! - bloody shame!

14. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

Teachers today need the support of parents

15. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Discipline and respect is what's missing from society, at school, at home, in the work workplace. One of the problems is, all these parent have their heads stuck in this little small screen in front of them, worrying about whats happening on bloody face book, rather than cooking thier kids a descent meal, or dealing with the fact that their butter wouldn't melt 6y old child just told the neighbor to **** off.

Modern parents are scared of their children, then they hand them over at school time and expect teachers to teach what they never did.

If a parent can't tear themselves away from their cyber social life for 20mins to help with a bit of homework, then how the hell can they be teaching discipline and respect.

16. milek

milek Honorary Member

Unless they can figure out a way of policing or enforcing such laws then it isn't going to happen.

17. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Yeah like that's gonna happen any day soon, you seen the kind of comments you get on here, they make me want to throw up!!!!:mad:

18. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Yeah well he just winds me up, but I decided to pull it just the same.

19. jantar

jantar Donator

RIGHT ON the button...... If the schools were brought back the discipline of the 60's then there would almost certainly be a lot less aggravation, bullying and more learnt where the teachers could do what they are trained and employed to do and NOT be the targets of the wasters amongst theother pupils who they try to educate. Parrents are responsible to give their children a sense of respect for others and how to behave responsibly whilst at home, teachers are legally responsible while they are on school property. The law is I believe called In Loco Parentis and as far I know is still on the stutute books.
    The only problem with the helping with the homework is that much of it, due to 'progress' is way above what the parents learned and so are unable to help because they do not have the knowledge to begin with. Rightfully therefore the responsibility in those instances is down to the teachers'.
    As for the likes of Facebook....if I had my way there would be no sites like it because from what I keep hearing they serve only to promote bad behaviour, bullying and violence.

To close I have no doubt that there willl be the usual ones who, in denial, will have to respond believing they are right despite the evidence of history to the contrary.
    Personally I do not care whose relatives are or were teachers, or for how long or how long ago....the only comments that are truly valid are those of the teachers themselves so maybe we should just leave any alternative comments to be made by them? Anything else is unhelpful and simply spouting off for attention.
    Also lets not forget that law that was brought in about Childrens Rights....they now rule the parents...........The Blair's have loads to answer for.....

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  20. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

I agree with you almost 100%, just not about the social media sites. I know there are lots of problems with them but they also have their good points, my family and i have no dealings with people who show bad behaviour, bullying and violence, we keep in touch with friends and family all over the world and use it for what it is supposed to be used for. Any person who makes comments etc that are not what we want to hear we just block them, no one has to put up with the crap if they don't want too.
    Just the same as being on here or any other forum.