1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Old Relum Tornado underlever

Discussion in 'Vintage collectable airguns' started by leecraw66, Feb 21, 2014.

1. leecraw66

leecraw66 Donator

I have been given an old Relum Tornado underlever .22 which I intend to do up. Its in pretty good nick. It has an identification number on it. I just wondered if anyone knows of a way I might be able to find out the year it was made.
    Also if anyone has ever used one of these and and what they were like overall.
    Thanyou Lee.

2. husky

husky Donator

give Proteck supplies a call on 01243824284 they seem to be the ones to ask about Relum airguns they also hold a good stock of spare parts for your restoration.

3. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

my first air rifle was one of these! bought brand new for £45 for me by my dad way back in 1985 from trago mills! wasnt as powerful as the hw35 i bought a year later with birthday money, probably 8 or 9 ft/lbs? but the trigger wasnt bad it felt smooth and it was reasonably accurate.

4. goatboy

goatboy Engaging Member

I have picked up quite a few Relums in the last couple of years that have been free or no more than a tenner, i think they are cracking air rifles for what they originally cost and a pretty solid build. Eventually i want to see if i can lengthen the piston stroke on the Tornado to bring it nearer 11 ft/lb without making it to harsh to cock and shoot, a bit of tinkering will get you a pretty good air rifle and recrowning them would improve their accuracy i reckon. Have fun, they are easy to work on and fun.

5. husky

husky Donator

Is it just me or are they front heavy we used one for rat controle on my uncles pigery and I allwase thaught the stock looked to short for the rest of the rifle. A few years later there was one used by my lockal cadets for target practice and i found it quite dificult to hold on target for any time compaired to the other break barrel rifles. All this aside I found it to be a grate gun for the work in hand if I could rest it on somthing solid. I would have another one in a shot (excuse the pun) if one turns up at the rite price.

6. leecraw66

leecraw66 Donator

I will bear that in mind and thankyou for the information.;)

7. doodsy

doodsy Donator

My first rifle was a relum break barrel got it in 1978 for 14 quid it done what was needed
    at farmyard range, loved it at 13 years old:)

8. Suwannee

Suwannee Well-Known Member

In a cabin,in the woods, 3hrs north of Orlando FL
    My friend & I bought bought a Relum each, he had the Tornado & I had the break barrel Telley, the Tornado was so big & heavy, I much prefered mine, we bought them out of his mums catalogue around 1972-3, he died in a motorcycle accident in 74 & here I am now living in Florida & just bought my first pcp because of the shortage of 22lr ammo, don't remember where they were made but they are not bsa quality, thanks

9. leecraw66

leecraw66 Donator

tornado 001.jpg View attachment 91000
    A bit of me time today, thought i'd make a start on the Tornado, stripped, cleaned, a bit of metal sanded and some of the stock, just to see what it would look like, think i'm going to enjoy this.
    New piston washer needed and new springs definate.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  10. goatboy

goatboy Engaging Member

Make sure you put the inner spring running the opposite way to the outer spring, if both springs are put in winding the same way they make the rifle twist to the side when firing. I made this mistake and felt a bit silly when i realised, and it shows the air rifle would benefit from some slip washers at each end. atb

11. leecraw66

leecraw66 Donator

Thankyou for the advice and I will do, could you tell me more about the slip washers please and what they do.

Thankyou Lee.

12. goatboy

goatboy Engaging Member

Slip washers are a washer made of some material that will allow the spring to unwind freely without it effecting the piston, a top hat in the piston does the same sort of thing in most air rifles aswell. The Relum's have a rivet that holds the leather seal to the piston and a washer made of delrin for example would allow the main spring to slip and not catch on the rivet, most tuning kits come with a top hat for the piston and a slip washer for the back block to improve the firing cycle. Polishing both ends of the main spring loads helps a lot, i bought one of those mini drills the other year which saves time and blisters and is really handy for deburring any sharp edges on the compression tube.

As a side note i used the double main springs from an old Relum in a Webley Hawk which also has no spring guide and was quite impressed with the results. atb

13. leecraw66

leecraw66 Donator

Thankyou yet again for the advice.
    You wouldn't know where I could get the said washers for the Tornado, would you please ?

Lee.

14. goatboy

goatboy Engaging Member

I have made my own slip washers in the past from delrin round bar as i adapted a wood turning lathe to turn plastic and ali, it's a total botch job but it did the trick. How ever i have also used brass, bronze and copper washers that i sized to fit, i think you can get boxes of mutlti sized washers off Ebay. Bronze is the better metal to use but normal metal washers will do the job I think with the relum springs you would have a smaller thinner washer for the inner spring sized so it fits in the outer spring washer in the piston. I dont think you could fit a inner spring slip washer on the back block so easily, but having looked on the Protex web site i see they do replacement Back block, spring guide, and spring for all the Relums for about 20 quid. Seeing that Relum's have the same spring as meteor's a top hat and slip washer from a Meteor tuning kit would do job with the Protex replacement, it just depends on how much you love your Tornado. atb

15. buttloaves

buttloaves Engaging Member

I hammered a piece of metal into the slot the cocking shoe pushes against it was about 10mm if i remember correctly i then welded up the hole the trigger sear located in and cut a new hole 10mm further foreward , i had to take away some metal on the cocking arm so it didnt foul on the under side of the action, after grinding down the piston skirt i fitted nylon pips for the piston to run on also a HW77 piston seal was fitted, i took it the local gun shop (Kirklees Guns) for a chrono, it came back just shy of 10fpe, the guy did'nt know id messed with it and he said "i can't understand it these are normally about 11.5fpe, i walked out. Oh and i shortened the barrel about 2.5", it's been sat in the shed for about 13 years gathering dust im gonna get it out and have a look inside, i did chrono it about a year ago it was doing 4.5fpe, wonder what it may be capable of, HW77 seal must mean it has similar performance possibilities.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  16. Keith 66

Keith 66 Engaging Member

I had one of these years ago, I threw the double springs away & stuck a BSA meteor spring in it. It was vastly improved, less recoli, quieter & the power went up. Relums had a bit of a mix of high quality with some awful bits! worth sorting out though.
    I also have a Taurus break barrel in .22, it came out of a half sunken abandoned boat & was extremely rusty. I had to soak the metalwork in a tank of diesel for a week before i could strip it! Much to my surprise the bore was perfect & the quality of the rifling is simply superb, It looks dreadful but shoots great.

17. dodgyeye

dodgyeye Donator

As some on here know, I'm a bit of a fan of the Tornado 322 solid build, ok barrels and accuracy and finish not too bad on the earlier 322. Also very easy to maintain and capable too 50 yards. Unfortunately soon after fitting a Welsh Willie kit :up: to mine a crack around the stock screw led to a stripped lug thread. Looking for another minter to drop the kit in.

Good fun, full size rifles.