1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Old Air rifle advice

Discussion in 'Vintage collectable airguns' started by crosshare, Dec 15, 2013.

1. crosshare

crosshare Member

Hi all, newbie here, not had an air rifle since my youth, 25 years ago. Anyway, just got one, and its older than me!
    I got it cheap because it was covered in crap, it looks cheap too.
    Anyway, I cleaned it up and found some stamps on it, its a FALKE modell 60, made in Germany, it says Kal. 4,5m/m gez on the barrel.
    I assume this is euro speak for .177? Don't have any idea about the "gez"

Any info on this gun would be appreciated, also is it worthless or antique?
    Is it likely to have any accuracy compared to newer guns.

Oh, after a good clean, I would say it is in near perfect condition considering its age.
    Cheers for any advice

2. flatrajectory

flatrajectory Keyboard Hero

http://www.network54.com/Index/98508 You have a very good,reasonably rare,collectible air rifle there my friend. I am no expert on Falke, but what I can tell you is they are German made, high quality and very collectible.
    You need to have look on the network 54 airgun forum ,then search for the Falke page.
    Link at top of page......

Pete.

3. thevoid

thevoid Posting Addict

No better way into airguns than restoring an old gun to former glory, you'll learn to appreciate how they work and after a short while will end up with a HW95 and get obsessed with tuning it :rolleyes:

do some before and after pictures and post them up :)

4. crosshare

crosshare Member

Thanks for the link ( haven't stopped reading since I got it! )

I will do some pics, I enjoy restoring things, it's a shame I had already cleaned it ! It looked awful, spray paint, oil etc.
    I've looked up metal blueing and fancy a crack at that, as for the stock, I am pretty confident with wood and think I'm gonna give it a red / black grain effect.
    But..! it is yet another project, who knows how much time I will afford it!

5. johnbaz

johnbaz Big Poster

It's a shame it's not a mod 90- you'd have people throwing large amounts of cash at you for it :up:

The Falke 90 is a thing of utter beauty ;)

Yours will be a fine and solid gun as they all are :cool:

If you decide to restore it, have a professional reblue- don't be tempted to have a go with the cold blue treatments as they're rubbish by comparison :(

Cheers, John :)

6. crosshare

crosshare Member

Ok here she is mostly cleaned up. I have to steam the stock to get the rest of the oil out, a bit more polishing of metal, then I'm going to re-blue it, I have decided to do this myself, a hot re-blue will give it an anodised look, which while I know isn't original, I think will be nice. If not, I can always do a cold blueing afterwards to darken it.
    I had some pellets arrive today, which got me in trouble, I put a cardboard box ( with 4 layers ) on my desk against a wall.
    Well, it went through the box, through both sides of the aluminium white board and chip the wall plaster!! Much more power than I expected.
    The main spring is a little bent, which I assumed meant it would be very tired, but apparently not.

The pellets are a very tight fit for some reason, the first shot didn't even fire, so I cleaned the inside of the barrel, and now it fires 3 times out of 5, if I push the pellet in the barrel about 2mm it is fine, so may just need a little honing. Any ideas?
    WP_000812.jpg

7. crosshare

crosshare Member

8. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

Tut,tut... air rifles like that are NEVER available when I'm around! :hail2:
    I'm having enough difficulty finding another BSA Meteor to refurb, so something a bit more 'exotic' like yours is something I can only dream of.
    Nice one mate.

9. crosshare

crosshare Member

Well if like many other of my projects, I get bored or too busy, I will give you a shout, my daughter lives near you, so I am there often.
    I suppose if it is quite rare, I am undeserving of it, it is just a novelty to me, but I wont do anything to take it away from the original, I am even polishing around the stamps just to preserve them!

10. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

Wow, I'll hold you to that my friend...
    First dibs to bhodge, I'm happy with that!
    Seriously, if you do decide to part with it then I'd certainly like to have a chance of owning it!

11. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Anybody think the HW95 is the only decent air rifle going but it isn't,there are other decent guns around

12. crosshare

crosshare Member

Look away if your squeamish!
    WP_000818.jpg
    Another 2 layers of dark red, then a layer of black to go on. Then sand it all off again!
    Don't worry the gun wont be pink!

13. crosshare

crosshare Member

That pic was a bit crappy!

WP_000819.jpg

14. Deejayuu

Deejayuu Donator

Keep 'em coming. Looking tasty already. If you want pics. of my first, very encouraging, exercise at slow rust bluing send message.

15. crosshare

crosshare Member

Hi, and thanks. I'm not sure what you mean with slow rust blueing. I have hot blued the trigger guard and end cap already, not the best work, but not bad.
    The stock is coming along nice, after about 3 layers of red, I applied a coat of black ( that was scary ) but after a sand down its looking good. Haven't applied any oil or lacquer yet but it's starting to show the grain nicely.
    Cheers for looking. WP_000824.jpg WP_000825.jpg

Ps If it has a serial number, where would I look for it??
    What is the leather? washer called that is the main seal and where could I buy one?
    Is it safe to assume that replacing the main spring etc wont depreciate the value?
    On the breech I think! ( the square section where the barrel exits ) there is stamped "M" any ideas?
    I have learned, the stock is Walnut, it will take an Ox No:2 spring and its an early 1950's model. Any other info about this rifle would be great!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  16. Deejayuu

Deejayuu Donator

17. crosshare

crosshare Member

Anyone know if the Vortek piston seals will be ok for this gun? The OD is the same

18. MarcDV

MarcDV Newbie

The "gez" stamped on the barrel is short for lauf gezogen which translates to "rifled".

Good luck with it, any Falke is well worth rebuilding.

Marc DV