1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Scopes Ok, you win! Back on goes the Hawke and here's the early results.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Andy Wales, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I went up my mates farm yesterday and thought oh well, let's put The Hawke Sports HD 3-9x40 Mil Dot back on and see if I can get it all lined up properly and zeroed in again. Here are the results so far. I don't know if they're much good, but it's a start :). All shot with my Hatsan Mod 60s .22 All shot and Zeroed at an exactly measured 20yds. And yes, that is a grubby 5p piece.

The pics are in the order I shot each target with, and pic one is when I got there straight after putting the Hawke back on. The one with the shot right through the EYE was 100% intentional but the others to the left of it, who knows what happened there?

I am still not satisfied with the line of sight every time I shoulder the rifle with this Hawke and I seem to have it sitting back as far as it will go. I believe I would be more far more accurate if I could get her back another 1" say, and a more stable shooting position.

A shakey picnic table/bench with a cut tree trunk "rest" that constantly moves would make any FT Shooter recoil in horror lmao! :D But it is how it is lol

There are a few special pics of something trapped behind one of the targets that fell out into my hand as I removed the target.....Talk about the old saying, "Pellet on Pellet eh?" ;)

Look just how much an RWS Superdome flattens out at 20yds :D

Going back up the farm later today and again tomorrow, so maybe this time I can actually find something other than targets to shoot at as there are plenty of goodies around the farm lol ;)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  2. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    tbh, apart from photo 3, thats very good consistant shooting. can you put a photo of the rifle/scope up - maybe we could offer up some advice on scope position

3. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I will take my digital camera and try and take a photo of my rifle and scope today as you've asked. I park the 4x4 at my Girlfriends house on her drive, so it makes sense to just keep my rifle etc at her place too and I'm at home now of course.

I am glad you think the shooting is not too crappy lol. Considering the useless "rest" situation and me not entirely happy with the scope position that's pretty cool. I was getting more accurate groups by far with that "cheapo chinese number", but I can't use it as the field of view SUX and it's "low light" ability compared to the Hawke is laughable :rolleyes:. And the Hawke is only a 40mm compared to the 50mm of the cheapo scope. I still find that I am having to "come forward" to meet the scope AFTER bringing it to my shoulder most, but not every time?

I know these shots were a mere 20yds, but when I first bought this scope, I could do better than this (sometimes) at 25-30yds so who knows what the heck's happened :D

Andy :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  4. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, thats just what i was thinking to steve, eye distance to back glass is a matter of preference for most shooters depending how good your eye sight as is the diopter adjustment.

5. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, i dont think you need worry once you do get the scope set right to hold, scope adjustment, diopter set to eye sight, find the right pellet, but my thoughts are every pellet shoots different, stray/ damadge. if you get a good consistant 8/10 into the bulls eye your doing well, me lucky for 6:D

6. Patrick

Patrick Donator

If you need to get the scope further back buy a reach backwards/forward mount.You can buy one of these from J S . for about £16 (Accushot) or if you want something more up market Sportmatch.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  7. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Thanks! Looks like a pretty good mount and a very good idea to allow it to come back further than usual if needed. I think this would help to get my scope adjusted properly. I take it you mean this one below? I may well order one of these. No harm in having an extra set of mounts and I'll need them when I get my next rifle :)

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/product...ount-1-[56mm]-38mm-bi-directional-offset.html

8. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Its a shame they dont cut the dovetail all the to the back more like a HW or TX200 as using a one piece mount on a 55/60 you cant get the scope far enough back and have to stretch your head foward.

9. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Yep thats the one,that'll get it back far enough no problem.Mind you with scope stop mounted in the most rearward screw hole(s) in the cylinder and the the rear scope mount positioned just behind the elevation/windage housing/saddle on the scope tube I've not encountered that problem.

10. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Patrick are you using 2 piece mounts though?
    With the arrestor block/mount stop removed, use of a one piece mount is a struggle for eye relief the dove tail is to short.

11. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

This is the problem I have been having with my scope/Hatsan 60s all along and can't seem to solve it :eek:. So, it's not just me having eye relief problems then.

When I put that cheap chinese EBay 6-24x50 scope on the problem was solved but I guess it's because it's a mile longer than the Hawke Sport HD :D.

I have taken a few pics of the Hawke's position on my rifle as requested and I will post them in the next 10 minutes or so on this thread so you can see just how far back I have it sitting, and still the eye relief is wrong and after shouldering the rifle I still have to move my head forward a bit just as you were saying you have to. Strange eh? I think this is part of the problem for having random groups etc.

The scope looks odd on the rifle as I not only have the mounts all the way back to the arrestor, but the scope itself is also as far back as it can go in the mount clamps and still it's not enough. Anyway, pics to follow shortly.

12. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Ok, here are a few pics of my scope position and yes, I DO KNOW it's mounted way further back than it should be, but what else can I do? :) I still have to move my head forward a little even with it this far back.

13. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

Have you tried putting both mounts in front of the saddle 'connect style'. Then you can move the scope further back. It should be fine provided you dont pick it up by the eyebell.

14. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I haven't tried that or thought about it no. Would it not look even more "odd" then though than it is at the moment? Or does the way it looks not matter as long as the scope is stable and back far enough? I ask because I have never seen a scope mounted like that before :)

I never pick the rifle up by the scope so that wouldn't be a problem:)

15. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

Would look a bit odd but worth a try before you spend money on a new mount to check it would make it feel better
    google MTC Connect images to see it done with a smaller scope

16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I think I'd try reach-forward mounts put on backwards.

17. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

Definitely a better long term solution. i just thought it might be worth trying to see if changing the scope position makes enough difference to spend the money - perhaps I am just tight:D

18. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I am now the third person to mention this "moving the head forward" issue for proper eye relief to get a nice full view in the scope and to make sure line of sight is correct. I thought for a while I was the only one. So why us? How come most people don't seem to have this problem? Have us three got smaller heads or something lol? (Mine seems no different than anyone else I know).

Or are a lot more shooters having to move their head forwards, (or backwards) a little too without even realising it? Hmmm. Would be so nice to just shoulder the darn rifle and have a perfect full size view in the scope every single time, no matter what the shooting position, standing, sitting, crouching whatever! It's one less thing to have to be concerned/aware of as it does put you off your shot a bit.

19. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

No, you're right it's a good idea! It's worth a try and I will be doing so next time I'm out this coming week. I will then re-zero it and try some targets. If everything seems ok and the allen bolts stay tight and it holds it's zero perfectly, I may just leave it and use it that way, whether it look odd or not :D. I always shoot alone anyway, so there is nobody else to see it, except maybe my mate the farmer, (he does shoot FAC for foxes when he can be bothered/has time) and he won't care or notice lol :D. Thanks for the tip.

20. mattyts

mattyts Donator

If you need to put your head forward more,then the scope needs to go forward more,why can't you do that?