1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Scopes ok, i've got a s400 question?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by gasman, Aug 29, 2014.

1. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

so, so you fully float a s400? I know I did it on my ev2, do you know any one who has or have you?

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

There's some good reading on the dark side for this Mark,general consensus was accuracy is improved but your left with a very fragile rifle

3. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

An S400 should be accurate at every range anyway with the BB fitted.
    If not possibly undo the 2 BB grub screws then gently nip them back up.

4. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

Sorry you lost me a it here?

5. jps norton

jps norton One Hit Wonder

I think he is referring to the barrel band :confused:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  6. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    what you could do mark, is to remove the barrel band, then remove the o ring in the top part of the barrel band that supports the barrel, then refit the barrel band. it's then floating, but has some protection if knocked. personally, I think the barrel is too thin to be unsupported, but you could try it mate.

7. Big Uli

Big Uli Donator

I would not float a s400 barrel
    Its too thin to be floated

8. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

Yer it's sure is thin mate, but if I go down the carbon route Steve I will have to replace barrel band and I was just thinking about doing away with it all together. I floated my ev2 though the barrel is slightly big OD it's only a couple of millermeters . It a tough one, think I'll give it a try, I think it will looks well good, have to see what happens.

9. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

To free float you have to remove or mod the barrel band which i used BB as an abbreviation.
    Most people free float to improve accuracy or POI shift which ive never noticed on a s400, from your original post it sounded like you where trying to fix something that wasnt broken for the sake of having it free floated.

10. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Honorary Member

I'm a big fan of floating barrels; thinking generally that any design requiring the barrel to be anchored at any point other than at the breech block is significantly flawed.

I've had mixed results in the past - floating my S410k yielded no descernible accuracy benefits over 25yds, but did make me worry significantly about the w*nky, skinny little barrel getting bent (so the band went back on).

Floating the barrel on my sort-of-MPR reduced group sizes significantly - it was with a floated setup on this rifle that I shot my best, 14mm c-c 10-shot group at 50m.

Similarly, floating the barrel on my Mk2 Huntsman made a big difference to accuracy - cutting group size at 35yds from an abysmal 17.5mm c-c to a just-about acceptable 12.5mm over 10 shots.

I think the best compromise is to fit a barrel band intended for a larger OD barrel - for example the (unfortunately silver) band for the 14mm OD MPR barrel can be fitted to the standard S400; giving around 1mm clearance around the circumference of its 12mm OD barrel (providing everything remains central).

Likewise the old (now obsolete :() band for the 16mm shrouded S410 Xtra can be used to float the 14mm MPR barrel with a 1mm gap. The advantages of doing it this way are that while the barrel is floating, it's deflection is limited by the band if you do happen to Censored the muzzle on something, plus the gun looks reasonably original.

If you do decide to go with the MPR band I'd snap one up as they won't be around forever once the new model comes out ;)

11. sharpsman

sharpsman Pro Poster

I have 2 s400's one fitted with a BSA barrel and totaly free floating and the other other is standard with the barrel band, the standard s400 was less accurate with the B.B removed ( i think the barrel is that skinny it was acting like a tuning fork and reverborating but it was definetly less accurate. If you want it free floating get a thicker barrel machined up to fit as imho they are to thin otherwise.

12. themadspread

themadspread Donator

interesting one mark let us know how this experiment goes ive only just started shooting 177 with a s 400 and after surprisingly winning the forum meet long distance championship with it its hard to think the gun would get better.id never take my bb off out in the hunting field it would get ruined

13. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

I'm just wondering why the thread title now says SCOPES :confuzed:

14. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Duper Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

cos your LOOKING for suggestions ? :confused:

15. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

what on barrel floating lol, sure I started thread saying question hummm strange