1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Oiling checkered stock advice

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Hoodster, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

What do you do about the checkered parts of the stock when oiling ?
    All the stocks I see on utube are all plain, any links to vids previous threads or from your own knowledge would be very helpful.

Thx Rick.

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

My only experience is with danish oil. If you're using that, it's important to bear in mind that any excess dries like a varnish, so wipe off anything not soaked in after 40 minutes max. Be particularly thorough with the chequering as if it dries there it will look horrible, and be a nightmare to get out.

3. Tazz

Tazz Engaging Member

First of all I clean mine with a toothbrush soaked in Iso-propyl alcohol every couple of months which gets rid of the accumulated dirt etc. I then use a separate toothbrush to apply a light coating of oil and let it soak in. Apart from a wipe after use with an oily rag, I do nothing else.

4. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

+1 for this answer, atb Paul.

5. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

The name Danish Oil is misleading, it's really a varnish. While there is some oil in it if you just paint it on it will be pretty similar to polyurethane or acrylic, albeit with a pleasant flat finish - my neighbour has used it on the entire exterior & interior of his new timber house...
    I've done a couple of stocks with it & an assortment of woodwork, if you rub in 2 or 3 very light coats with a cloth it's very good finish but still basically a varnish, & as noted it will easily build up in the chequering.

Maybe a more traditional stock oil is what you want, Birch Wood Casey Tru Oil or similar?

6. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

To be quite honest I don't know which finish is right for me I have little experience with wood and this is the first stock I've refinished and I chose danish oil because it seems a popular choice.

7. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I've chosen it in the past because I wanted a waterproof & stable finish, & done fairly quickly - I would recommend it myself.
    You can avoid clogging up the chequering by using a toothbrush to clean it out, & don't go near it with the wet & dry or you can flatten the diamonds.
    A lot of people swear by wire wool instead, & it does sound good, but I've never used it for wood finishing, I always use fine wet & dry - I consider 800 grit upwards to be fine.

8. Stokie99

Stokie99 Busy Member

I have just finished my walnut stock I did 3 coats of tung oil 50/50 with white spirit and wiped off any excess. And wire wooled inbetween coats then true oil 75/25,50/50,25/75 with white spirit again wipe off after 20 mins then just true oil 14 coats wire wool in between coats and leave for 24 hours between coats put on each coat very thin or it will run , tung oil brings out the grain and the tru oil seals it behind a glass like finish ps I steamed the stock first then sanded with 320-400-then 600 wet&dry then just used wire wool 0000 and a tack cloth to get all the bits off have fun.

9. Stokie99

Stokie99 Busy Member

try just the tung oil on the checker bits it is just oil and has no dryers or any mixes of varnish so it will just soak in to the wood but it takes longer to dry.

10. Shropshire Shooter

Shropshire Shooter Well-Known Member

I refinished my old PH Phoenix Mk I recently and was a bit worried about the chequering. I just gave it a good scrub with isopropyl alcohol ("IPA") and an old toothbrush then left if well alone until I was happy with the rest of the stock. It then got another scrub with IPA and the tiniest brushing with stock oil - left for an hour then scrubbed out again with a dry brush. I repeated this 2 or 3 times over several days and ended up with nice crisp chequering without any clogging.

11. Stokie99

Stokie99 Busy Member

12. Shropshire Shooter

Shropshire Shooter Well-Known Member

Some lovely grain there Stokie but it's a bit shiny for my taste - I like a nice soft sheen rather than the high gloss look, but it would be a pretty boring world if we all liked exactly the same things :up:

13. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

Here's a handy video of some Russian or similar bloke using Danish Oil on a gun stock, apart from 'Rustin's Danish Oil' on the can I don't understand a word of it, but you will get the idea & can see what the finish is like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FTxVs7_67g

One thing, it will enhance the woodgrain if there's one to enhance, but I was just tarting up a couple of old BSA Beechwood items which were very pale & plain & I had to use a wood stain to get a bit of life out of them.

14. Stokie99

Stokie99 Busy Member

hi mate its only been done for 4 days now and I am undecided on the finish myself it will dull down with use or put on birchwood casy stock sheen conditioner that will sheen it to a silk finish but I don't want to rush into it then regret it and start all over again .

15. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

Thanks for all the advice guys I feel confident enough to go ahead now :)
    Just got to make up my mind about colour I was all set on ebony but not fully sure if I will like the end result :facepalm:

16. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

That is a stunning piece of wood and I think the shiny finish suites that wood really well like the stocks on high end shotguns.

17. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I'd say with beech, pick the woodstain you want then try to get 2 shades darker.

18. richardscar

richardscar Donator

this will probably sound bonkers but I have used ballistol and brichwood casey tru oil(gun stock finish) and don't like either . ballistol just soaks in and the stock looks dry again after a few days and tru oil leaves a sticky residue . I really don't like shiny varnished look so know I use what I allways used to ues 25 yrs ago ..... 3 in1 oil general pruspose oil !! now the stock looks great and refreshed , not dry and no sticky varnish residue but with a subtle sheen and I would say a lot more water resistant.. the only thing is it can polish up to a mirror smooth shine where you hands contact the pistol grip area over time , but I like that too :)
    atb , rich .