1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Oh God, Here We Go Again.

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by mike-carter, Aug 13, 2019.

1. mike-carter

mike-carter Pro Poster

This is not a thread on politics just a thread in losing more freedom.
    Some "people" are looking at mobile phone use, i.e. Hands Free. Millions of people rely on a cell phone connected to the vehicles Bluetooth system.
    Now I don't condone holding/using a mobile phone whilst driving, indeed, last Friday with my grandchildren in the car I wholly told off a woman in a red Fiesta using the phone whilst driving when we pulled up at lights. She asked me to mind my own business, I politely (oh yeah) told her it was my business as she's a danger to my grandchildren, me and other road users. I twisted my dash cam to film her and told her so.
    Have we anything else to lose? They, the "people" will ban speaking within the car in a few years, ban farting (off putting) and maybe ban driving altogether. Bah Humbug and all that.

oedbachgen, pjgtech, Pete2 and 3 others like this.
  2. DUNKS

DUNKS Keyboard Hero

Are they actually trying to ban Bluetooth? or hands free where you do actually have to touch your phone?

3. mike-carter

mike-carter Pro Poster

4. Scott

Scott Moderated user

I think it will come to nothing as the government with the backing of all the motoring organisations encouraged us to go handsfree,,,
    but then again they also encouraged us to buy diesel cars then shafted us...

It's probably some back bench nobody trying to be noticed as a policy maker.
    So whats the difference between yapping on handsfree and singing along with the music thats playing in your car?

5. mike-carter

mike-carter Pro Poster

Not sure Scott, an easy way to make money? They're using the "save lives" angle. Seatbelts wearing became compulsory in 1983
    they claimed to save life but in reality it was to reduce the cost on the NHS to patch people up after an accident. I fully agree with the diesel issue. Someone somewhere is getting a very healthy wage to find ways of making Joe Public pay a fine.
    Remember, there was a beard tax and window tax. What next?

Scott likes this.
  6. Gunfun

Gunfun Engaging Member

I think if you held a survey of the most distracting things when driving, then staring at the road surface looking out for pot holes to swerve around would be the top distraction! But as several decades have shown us, our politicians are indeed incapable of organising the fixing this simple yet widespread deadly problem.

However where our politicians are very capable is of finding petty reasons to blame and fine the general public when it comes to collected statistics, it's like their specialty.

Also as most politicians seem obsessed (money invested?) with bringing in Autonomous Cars as soon as possible, then banning personal communications in manually driven cars makes perfect sense !
    By legislating the people into autonomous cars.

7. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

my mrs used to automatically grab her phone if it made a noise while she was driving....she did it once while we had our daughter in the car when she was 2 but not done it since then... because i threatened to throw the bloody thing out of the car window..and i would have done so too... ok keep them switched on but put it on silent, that way the temptation wont be there to answer a text or call but still have the phone for an emergency....no call or text is so important you put lives at risk

8. squib

squib Posting Addict

All I’ll say, is almost every time I have missed a mobile speed trap, I’ve been gabbing on the phone. I’m not in any doubt that certain conversations take your mind off the road. Eg, maybe technical or contractual type discussions about work which require you to use the grey matter, or having a laugh with a mate. ‘ What do you want for tea’ discussions with the missus, less so.
    Saying that, when driving on hands free or not, I’ll be watching the road and other cars/road users. Not particularly paying attention to
    Parked vans in lay-bys.

A few years ago on a speed awareness course, they told us of a case where a cyclist had ridden through a red light, and was hit and killed by a car that was obeying his side of the signals. The driver got 3 years in prison, as at the time of the accident he’d been talking hands free. The suggestion being had he not, he may have reacted to cyclist in time to avoid him.

For my money, it’s all a bit ‘if my auntie had b******s she’d be my uncle’ , they had no way of proving that one way or the other.

9. Sarge

Sarge Busy Member

The lady on bbc5live just now want a ban on touching the screen that comes with the new cars. So no changing radio etc. unless you use any buttons on the steering wheel, then they'll ban the steering wheel...o_O
    But technically it is still OK to put on your make-up as the do-gooders haven't specifically banned that.

When will they realise there is a perfectly good law already out there - Driving without due care and attention.
    This covers it all, existing and future items or behaviour that takes your attention or makes you swerve, crash etc and you have committed an offence.

More justification for the law makers to make more laws, earning themselves more money and making it more complicated for everyone else, but no safer.

themadspread, mike-carter and Pete236 like this.
  10. mike-carter

mike-carter Pro Poster

Wow, bit harsh to throw the missus out.:D
    I maintain that if you have a phone in the car with no bluetooth turn the bloody phone off whilst driving. I've seen women doing War Paint (make up) window shopping (and talking/nagging) whilst driving, men shaving, looking at maps (in this day and age) and Christ knows what else. Cane 'em.

greyskull, 2506sendero and monsta41 like this.
  11. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

There's plenty of much worse distractions such as children but there will always be people who like to thrust themselves into the limelight and calling for a ban usually works for that. There's also a movement to ban grouse shooting - too many loud mouthed killjoys about :mad::mad:

themadspread likes this.
  12. DUNKS

DUNKS Keyboard Hero

I seriously think we have a society at present who are eager to go along with any ban without any thought to the outcome. To ban has got to be good "whatever"
    We will sit silent in our future cars while technology takes over it's course and speed. Lovely.

mike-carter likes this.
  13. number10

number10 Posting Addict

next on the list is the banning of mini skirts and ladies jogging pants - these are a serious distraction to male road users ;)

Keith 66, themadspread, Scott and 2 others like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Busy Member

You may laugh but when I was working out in Kalifornia many years ago they banned the wearing of bikinis on the street for that very reason.

15. mike-carter

mike-carter Pro Poster

Hence all the palaver on the GL's, looking to ban grouse shooting, what next, pheasants,rats, ducks & geese, grey squirrels and Christ knows what else. When you think of the money & jobs created from shooting it's a f???ing joke.

16. squib

squib Posting Addict

One nearly got me the other day. If I close my eyes I can still see that arse, I think it’s been burned into my retinas :eek:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    number10, mike-carter and Sky like this.
  17. ninjarich1971

ninjarich1971 Snoozing gracefully

The technology is already available for the phone to know when your driving. The problem is that the tech companies are afraid of being the first to launch something which will be decidedly unpopular with so many people. I spend all day in a raised cab holding traffic up on the road. The amount of drivers I see daily looking at the phone is astounding. Unfortunately the worst culprits seem to be young women. Drinking and driving has become socially unacceptable so why is it acceptable to do something equally dangerous. As far as I’m aware there is only one pm in this country and he really is the only one who has a decent excuse that he needs to be contacted 24/7. Do you remember having to find a pay phone and having to reverse the charges. Then shouting at your mum to stop being a tight arse and accept the call. Ahh golden times.

pjgtech likes this.
  18. mike-carter

mike-carter Pro Poster

If they do that I'll give up driving.:D

number10 and squib like this.
  19. mike-carter

mike-carter Pro Poster

Buck it then, I'll drive on the bloody beach.

20. mike-carter

mike-carter Pro Poster

You're ill, very ill.:D

Scott and squib like this.