1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Odd Mk1 Hw85

Discussion in 'Technical' started by robs5230, Jun 28, 2020.

1. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

Been asked to look at an old mk1 85 yesterday.

The owner, took it in to my loca RFD, for it to be zeroed as she couldn't get it anywhere near.
    He's asked me to have a look at it. Though I'm not keen on working on anyone else's rifles, I said I would with this as I like he mk1 85.

A check at 10m sees the old fitted Nikko silver crown being heavily maxed out on both windage and elevation.

A quick inspection sees the barrel having a reasonably significant upsweep, so at some point in its life, someone's likely let go of the barrel during cocking.
    That can be sorted, and luckily there's no damage to the pistol grip or forend on the stock.

But more of a concern, is that the raised scope rail appears to be somewhat on the p*ss.
    This is strange, as the rear block houses the 2 set screw threads and the main action tube is cut out with the keyway for the block underneath the raised scope rail so it can only fit in one place.
    WHen looking down the cylinder, the raised rail is obviously skewed across the cylinder.

Has anyone come across this before, with the skewed rail ?

I'd say the rifle hasn't been opened for the last 20 years or more judging by the amount of crud everywhere. I wondered whether a past "gunsmith" has tried to remove the end block before removing the raised rail :rolleyes:. But thinking about that, if that had happened, I think it would have twisted the rail the other way.
    I've removed the scope and there does seem to be a twist in the rail when a straight edge is placed against it. But I've also removed the stock and the end block and cylinder cutouts are lined up perfectly. Puzzling me a little.

Has anyone heard of a rail being on the skew as supplied, as in a manufacturing fault ?

Cheers

2. Slipknot88

Slipknot88 Person of interest

Try putting the scope rail on other way round see if there's any difference,other than that I can't see why it could be squiffy, don't think it would have left the factory like that .

3. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Busy Member

If she has only just bought it I’d be inclined to get my money back with this much wrong with it are you going to find it scored to hell inside ?

4. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

The raised scope rail is keywayed and only fits one way.
    Coming to the conclusion its been damaged either when the barrels been let go or dropped.

5. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

Not aware of the circumstances or where it was bought. She just took it into the RFD for zeroing.
    I'd guess its been in their family and stored a long time looking at the grot all around it.

6. Slipknot88

Slipknot88 Person of interest

Sounds like someone must have really smashed a scope that was sitting on it.

7. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Busy Member

Sounds like an attic job then just found after years

robs5230 likes this.
  8. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

I've had a straight edge against the raised scope rail.
    Theres a marked kink / lateral twist.

9. Deejayuu

Deejayuu Donator

May be one lug is half in the key hole slot and half out, side to side, if you see what I mean.
    Possible lug sheared one side.
    Seen a couple with damaged lugs caused by trying to hammer rails back without compressing the gasket enough.

10. dessy b

dessy b Engaging Member

if she wants to part with it i have some parts to put it right.

11. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

I'm gathering it has some kind of sentimental value.
    Though if you have a raised scope rail spare and for sale, it would resolve that issue.

12. Alakar

Alakar Engaging Member

I may have a scope rail , I’ll just have a look

robs5230 likes this.
  13. Alakar

Alakar Engaging Member

Yep got one .
    needs painting or blueing but if it’s any good make me an offer by pm
    upload_2020-6-29_10-21-26.jpeg

robs5230 likes this.
  14. Alakar

Alakar Engaging Member