1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

nv 200

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by cornish, Mar 3, 2014.

1. cornish

cornish Donator

well went out with nv 200 last nite on my rimfire .22 shot rabbit with it missed loads. Don't normally miss I think I was trying to shoot to far nv worked great but hard to workout how far away the bunnys are any idea's that would help never used nite vision before cheers

2. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

There is no easy way to do this. It is difficult to estimate range when using night vision and it's worse if you use high magnification as then you can only see a small area and have little idea of what's going on around the target. The best way is to get to know your ground during daylight and use things such as trees, bushes or the spacing of fence posts to help guide you. You might be able to get a laser rangefinder with an illuminated/backlit display so you could see the laser marking the target through your nv and then read the range but your best bet is to practice range estimation when using the nv (but not shooting live quarry).

3. cornish

cornish Donator

That what I thought practice with nite sites it is new ground I'm shooting on mate just bought it did think about range finder didn't know if you can get nite vision one thanks for your help all best ray

4. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I have ns50 and haven't used it much to be honest due to the problems with judging range at night

5. andym1

andym1 Member

i had the same problem with the ns200 it got me down so much i ended up selling it after the 50th rabbit missed i went out for a week straight i got 6 rabbits out of a possible 60 due to rangefinding absolutly hated it whent back to the lamp

6. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

Is the problem of range finding with night vision a problem that applies to all night vision units? Just bought a PB Hunter but not got out with it yet and it will be my first time ever using NV so range finding worries me.

7. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Yes it is. People will reply saying you need to know your perm. But trust me once the transition changes from day to night all perception of range goes out the window. One perm I have is a horse field 60yards wide by 150 yards long I have shot on there for two years, I know every inch of it but once night falls you may as well have dropped me in the Sahara desert. I've even tried making markers and plotting up this helps somewhat but if a rabbit pops up elsewhere you're stumped. Last time I went out with it I figured the rabbit was about 25 yards away, aimed bang on his head, heard the hollow sound of a body shot, rabbit writhing about on the floor, when I ran over to dispatch the poor thing he wasn't even ten yards away, pellet hadn't had chance to get scope height at that range. Not been out since.

8. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

I find the way to go is use very little mag I mostly use 3x or 4x as you are able to see what is between you and your target better than on high mag.

The best way with nv and airgun I find is to ambush. Find some places to hide up near the warrens. Then put out range markers anything reflective.

A tiny bit of the reflective strip from a high vis vest, or lately I am using some reflective tubes you put on bike spokes from poundland. You also get reflective paints you could use.

I find using the ambush method with nv gives by far better bags than walking around does.

For this method to work well you need to be there before the rabbits start to leave the warren. Let them get a reasonable distance from the warren before shooting and once you have shot one leave it laying there don't go and pick it up.
    Cheers Andy

9. snapperspike

snapperspike Engaging Member

Yes it is, is the short answer !
    There are some things you can do, some of which has been suggested already.
    The one piece of help I can offer, is to use the side parallax readings on your scope.
    They will be vastly different to daytime readings, due to IR light having a different wavelength, but it will give you a guide.
    Go out at night to a place where you know the distance to objects, and make a note of the new readings.
    Air rifle distances, are far more tricky than rimfire or centrefire as the distances involved, relative to ballistic efficiency are very small.
    As in a 17hmr is "relatively flat shooting from 50ish yards to roughly 120yds
    A .223 or .243 has a far more "flat" shooting distance again.
    That gives you far more "leeway" to still make a humane kill, without worrying to much about "aiming off".
    Most air rifles, well, think how much compensation you have to give, between a 30yds zero, and a target at 50yds !
    One other tip, is to shoot from a constant magnification on the scope.
    Practise at that setting, until it's second nature.
    I usually seldom use anything much different from 6 - 8 times mag, on all my rimfire and centrefire rifles, including fox out at 150 - 200yds, and rabbits at 100yds.
    I suppose you could buy a back lit laser rangefinder, I believe MTC now do one, but of course the quarry will see it !
    I'm afraid the real answer is PRACTISE, PRACTISE, PRACTISE, until you know your rifle combo inside out, and it becomes easier.
    SORRY !

10. snapperspike

Sorry R10, your quicker on the keyboard than me !!

11. r10hunter

I have never tried to read off the parallax. How are you doing it? have you put marks on your scope with luminous tape? How much mag do you need to use before this method becomes reliable.?
    Thanks.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  12. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

I use nv alot and found if you keep it to low mag its much easier to judge range and I use .177 so dont have to worry about range as much atb

13. snapperspike

Well it depends on the scope your using !
    All my scopes are side parallax, and have distances marked.
    They are only a GUIDE of course, and not set in stone.
    However, if you use the scope often enough (practice again!) you soon get used to them, and if you laser range find for a while (or measure) you know where you stand.
    Again, it depends on your scope, as to how close you can focus with parallax.
    This is why a lot of people using NV like the MTC Mamba range of scopes, because they will adjust to close range, and so when using IR, you can still adjust the focus fairly close in (remember, if your focused in Daylight, at say 50yds, then using IR, you'll probably be having to adjust the parallax to more like 15yds !)
    Once you get used to it, it's EASIER, but note that's not EASY !!!
    If you can fit a bigger side parallax wheel, and so have more room, you can mark it I suppose, but again, this will only work with a fixed mag, the same as your mill dots or similar, UNLESS your using a first focal plane scope.
    I see Rowan engineering has released a lovely looking digital read out to attach to certain side parallax scopes, but You probably won't want to know the price !!
    To be honest, I prefer the "KISS" system, and the less to go wrong and carry in the field at night, the better.
    As such, I just use experience and, to be honest, my larger rifles generally at night, including the .22 rimfire for close rabbits, and the 17hmr for further ones and hares, and .223 and .243 for foxes, so it's easier for me.
    As I said, air rifles are trickier, at the distances involved with them using NV, but as several have said, a low mag helps.

14. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

There's been some really good tips posted here. Night vision is in black and white and low intensity so will always be more difficult than in daylight when you can use the binocular effect of your eyesight to judge ranges before looking through the scope, at night all you can see is a narrow cone through the scope. It does help to use a low magnification as you can see more and it will probably help you to avoid over optimistic shots. Always use the same magnification, it will help you to become familiar with the appearance of targets at certain distances.
    Also a good tip is to use the ambush method, it's not easy to walk around in total darkness without making as much noise as a herd of elephants. You can put out range markers if possible, that will definitely be a help but make sure that you can tell one from another as through the nv scope it won't be easy - maybe use 2 reflective dots for 20 yards etc.
    In the end the best way is to practice until it becomes second nature but start slowly and work up from there, if you try and jump in at the deep end you will almost certainly sink!
    Don't forget that your quarry may not be able to see you or your illumination but they still have excellent hearing and smell.

15. r10hunter

What I was after knowing is how you have marked up your scope and with what.?
    (obviously you can't see the normal markings in the dark, or do you use a light) Also what mag do you use to range find using parallax.
    Don't you need 25 plus mag for this to work ? Will your add on nv unit handle that much mag?
    I am fairly well used to judging distances with nv, I am just interested how you range find using the parallax method.
    Thanks Andy

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  16. FGYT

FGYT Engaging Member

on the LRF ive just got the Hawke 400 which is a great bit of kit and was please when the EJ230 Bullet cam push fits into the eye piece and can be focused to see the LED display
    BUT at night unless its shown against a normal light background you cannot see the Display with IR nor a very good view I assume the Lenses are heavily IR filtered tho you do get a white out Flash when you fire the laser to range

SO i could range if i can aim it without using the Eye piece view (maybe mount it with a second camera and line it up with a Generated cross hair) then you need to back light the view with normal white light to read the range off with the second camera

best is to learn your ground maybe place a few markers if ness and plan your night to give you killing zones with in known ranges
    this is good practice even with day shooting make a sketch map etc or even print of google maps Laminate and mark up

17. snapperspike

Andy, read my last post !
    My side parallax knob has markings, that's what you could use.
    I don't use a light, as I said, I'm used to my set ups, so given that I usually use 8x mag, I know what size various quarry looks like at various distances, in relation to the ret of the scope !
    At night with NV, the markings on the parallax adjust are irrelevant anyway when you think about it, it's just a focus knob.
    if you know your ret, at whatever mag you use, then quarry distance is easily worked out, by the relative size on the ret, (this is with a second focal plane ret of course).
    So if a fox is say 6 mill dots wide, at 10x mag at 100yds, then at night, although you have to "mal adjust" your side focus because of the wavelength of IR light, the fox will STILL be 6 mill dot wide at 100yds.
    Hence, if you know how many mill dot wide a fox is AT ANY GIVEN MAG on your scope in daytime, then the same applies at night, but what your side parallax numbers say is of no consequence.
    SO, if you WANT to use the numbers on the side parallax, use the above method, and as I said earlier, note what the numbers are at NIGHT, as opposed to day.
    It's all quite difficult and long to write, but a lot easier to do !!!! :D
    Hope this makes sense, but as I said, I simply know quarry size vs mill dot, and only use a couple of mag settings, so it's fairly straight forward.
    Add in the flat shooting character of most of the calibres I use, and BINGO.
    Once you start wanging the mag up and down on your scope, from 6 -26, it all gets a bit memory intensive !!:D
    That's why (if they use mill dot, a lot DON'T) a lot of centrefire boys, use a fixed mag (say 8x56) scope, because that's all you really need, not forgetting the quarry and so the kill zone, is usually bigger than in the case of a rabbit !

18. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I've never been a fan of using mil dots (or any other reticle based ranging system) to measure the range to a target. It will only workif you KNOW the size of your target. Can you tell, using a nv unit, if you are looking at a large buck rabbit or a half grown doe. A 10% error in target size will mean a 10% error in range estimation which, at 40 yards, will be enough for a miss or a hit in a non-lethal area. If the target size estimation is out by 25%, which is quite possible, then your measure 40 yards might be just 30 or as much as 50 yards. You can use it as a guide but don't rely on it to ensure clean hits and kills.
    Unfortunately there is no easy way of estimating ranges, you have to work at it.

19. r10hunter

Oh right.
    I thought from your first post you meant you had a system to range find by parallax while using nv.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  20. snapperspike

That's what I meant about air rifle being far, far harder than rim or centre Terry !