1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Nubble's Pp800 Home Made Stock.

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by Nubble, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Nubble's 3-PLY-DIY PP800 'Lite-sport' Custom Pistol stock.
    ;)

[​IMG]
    When I first got hold of the PP800 the first thing that struck me was that the stock is a lot chunkier than the CP1. Even with large hands, one handed I was struggling to get my fingers around the grip comfortably. The more I used it the more I got used to it and to be honest I quite got to like it. Having said that I thought it could be improved.

I am reluctant to start chopping the original stock to bits so decided I would make a stock for it. I already had a ‘practice’ at making a pistol stock with my CP Bitsa Target Pistol just to see how difficult it was so was fairly happy that I could do a little better with my second effort. Problem was that I only have softwood sized pieces of timber kicking around at home and I wanted something darker so I have just been waiting for the right piece of wood to come along…….o_O

Then one afternoon whilst walking round Asda I had a flash of inspiration… :eek:

Chopping boards £3 each.

I had a good root thru ‘em (around 30) and picked out the best 3.

£9 please, thank you, and off I went with chopping boards under-arm :D

Once home I hastily got the PP800 out and made a card template allowing a little extra all round. I sussed which parts of each board I wanted to use paying attention to the grain and marked them out. I then used a jigsaw to cut out each ‘piece’ again leaving a fairly generous margin.

Before…..
    [​IMG]

After an hour I had this……
    [​IMG]

That evening I prepared each surface to be glued by removing the finish plus any high spots leaving a key for the glue.

Next night the first two pieces to be glued were coated with glue and lightly clamped together until the excess glue oozed out. It was wiped clean and the clamps removed. I prepared the 3rd piece and clamped into position, clamping gently and evenly to begin with, making sure everything was roughly lined up and wiping the glue off as I went.

Once I thought everything was lined up I slowly tightened the clamps to VFT without bending or breaking anything. It was then left to cure for 6 days.

Clamped up…..
    [​IMG]

6 Days later….

After 6 days I couldn’t wait any longer so I removed the clamps to see what I had and promptly set to drilling the 22mm hole in the muzzle end of the stock to accept the air tube on the pistol. This time I decided to do it by eye with a hand drill as my pillar drill is not tall enough without a lot of messing about.

Out of the clamps….
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

After drilling the hole I needed to cut the top half of the fore-stock off so did this with a circular saw. Then with a flap disc in the angle grinder I gently remove material from the grip/palm area checking for look and feel every now and then.

Next I carefully marked out the area inside the stock that needs to be removed for the trigger/trigger housing etc. I used a 9mm flat bit and drilled a series of holes paying attention to the depth. I then removed the remainder by hand with a nice sharp chisel and widen it out to around 11mm testing the action for fit. I also did a little tidying around the trigger guard with the chisels.

Over the following days I shape it a little more with the grinder/flap disc, a bit each day if I get chance, paying close attention to how it feels in my hand. I want it to fit like a glove so shave bits off, test, shave, test etc etc

[​IMG]

I get as close as I can with the flap disc then switch to a Dremel style Rotary Tool [Sealey]. I use the flexible shaft mounted with 1/2” barrel sanding drum and put the curves and hollows and finer shaping into it taking off bits here and there. I concentrate on getting a nice snug fit as I work my hand around the grip, feeling for pressure points whilst keeping an eye on the grain to see how it is developing. Working around the main grip larger areas would be ‘shaved’ with the grinder and flap disc in the day and then tweaked with the Dremel in the garage in the evenings……Shaving off bits here and there, putting in the curves, thumb rest etc. Sanding...checking...sanding...checking...sanding...checking…... this goes on for ever……. it takes hours…. Days….. weeks, and is quite painstaking and time consuming but one which I endure. I plod along, a couple of hours each night, I know I will end up with something pleasing eventually, or at least functional. I try not to be too fussy and make it ‘perfect’ but if there is a floor somewhere or something I don’t like I have to sort it out!

Trigger Guard left to do...
    [​IMG]

Next I turned my attention to the back side of the stock and the base/palm rest. I mark out the back side of the stock with some pleasing lines below the thumb rest before removing around 1/2” of wood with the flap disc from this area to reduce some weight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then put a little profile to the main stock rails and drill a 3mm hole thru the rear of the stock before shaping this area with some nice gentle curves to soften the look of it.

I cut around 1/2” [15mm] off the bottom of the stock or palm rest as it felt and looked too ‘heavy’. It now weighs 300 grammes, 100 grammes lighter than the stock stock!
    I do the last bit of shaping and blending with the Dremel before the final shaping around the trigger guard last. The whole stock was then sanded, sanded and sanded some more…..plus a bit……. and then a bit more.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did a colour test on the piece that came off the bottom of the palm rest.
    From left to right:

Danish Oil—Teak Oil—Naths Fine Finish Gunstock Oil
    [​IMG]

Whether you can see it in the photo but there were slight differences between each one but went with Naths as it seemed to bring out the colours better.

After holding it for what seems like the millionth time I check the final test fit with the action and then make sure I am finally happy with it before treating it to 7 coats of Nath’s Gunstock oil leaving 24 hours between coats.

After the first coat of oil....​
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 7 coats of Nath's oil and four coats of Nath’s polish it looks like this……..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall I’m very pleased with it. It looks good. I couldn’t quite get 3 pieces that would line up nicely on the end grain but I really like the look of the stock from the rear and love the colours in there. I tried to guess what was going on inside the wood knowing I would be shaving large amounts off here and there so I knew the dark areas on the left side would add some interest but couldn’t quite get as much out as I would have liked. It looks different from either side, and from every angle, there is a slight flip-flop going on with the grain too.

From start to finish it took just short of a month, mostly a couple of hours each evening,

A few hours to mark and cut out, glue etc

6 days clamped up,

approximately 14 or so days of shaping and sanding

a week of oiling.

A few hours waxing

The final test fit of the action was perfect, the way it fitted into place and the bolt holes all lined up…. Ahhhhhh. That made me smile. :cool:
    Until that moment I didn’t know if everything would actually line up properly. To begin with I had to enlarge the hole [recess] where the valve retaining bolt sits as it was about 2mm to far back. The action was ever so slightly off vertical but this was solved by tweaking the trigger area with the 1/4” sanding drum and the chisels.

All of it is done by eye,
    some of it is done by careful measurement,
    and a lot of it is done by guesswork.
    I like the way the wood changes or talks to you as you work it, sometimes you like it, sometimes you don’t.

Am I happy with it? Yes and No.

It fits wonderfully and I am happy with my work I’m just not happy with the way it turned out looks-wise as far as the grain is concerned. It's ok. There is a lot more variation going on with the grain than I would have liked but have tried to make it work and look pleasing. The boards were made of varying sizes of ‘planks’ so this limited the ones I could choose in the first place and they varied wildly in colour.

Would I do another, Yeah. Deffo. ............ [Already started :facepalm: ]

It fits my hand perfectly and is not tiring or uncomfortable at all, besides I love having a little project to work on……... which reminds me, I must finish Mikeys fish.

Right I’m just off down Asda…….

Cheers All.

Nubble
    :thumb:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Rm29, YNWaN, Montala and 13 others like this.
  2. SimonCornwall

SimonCornwall Engaging Member

Outstanding skills on that, great work. On the finished pics from the rear the four corners at the top stood out for me because of the nicely smoothed contours on the rest of the stock. I can't see much difference in the oils test but my eyes aren't great, if I'm refreshing an old cue I'll use boiled linseed oil and cue wax, gives good finishes too. I would be so, so worried about knocking that trigger guard, all that work gone in :eek:

Nubble likes this.
  3. sagalout

sagalout Apparently I need more guns.

Wow, just W O W !!!

Nubble likes this.
  4. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Bloody 'outstanding' along with a great write up @Nubble .. :thumb:

Nubble likes this.
  5. billy.whizz

billy.whizz Posting Addict

well done Nubble , that's an outstanding piece of work .love the grain and different shades and colours, main thing is it fits you :).

Nubble likes this.
  6. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 Forum Nice Guy - Pepe Le Pew

What a fantastic reads Nubs, thanks matey.

And the grip? I think that’s EPIC!

Nubble likes this.
  7. Rincewind666

Rincewind666 Moderated user

Amazing work nubble mate, that wood is great, and its ply :eek:,
    I think it looks amazing, almost flame like in colour/pattern ,
    I may give this ago with some walnut/oak/ rosewood,
    In letting is a total pain in the (insert swear word here):facepalm:

Nubble likes this.
  8. QuoVadis69

QuoVadis69 Donator

WOW !!! That's stunning Nubs ! Fantastic job. :up::up::up:

Nubble and Rincewind666 like this.
  9. hairyarms

hairyarms .

Brilliant mate :up: That is a work of art I wouldn't know where to start.

10. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Top Poster

You cant beat working with wood, and you've shown us great workmanship with it Nubble:thumb:

11. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Well thank you all for your comments. Blown away with some of them to be honest! :oops: I didn't think it was that good so thank you. ;)

I guess it was kinda enjoyable to do really. I enjoy working with wood and quite often just work from an idea I have in my head. As for it being ply @Rincewind666 I was being kinda tongue in cheek.... :p It's 3 solid pieces glued together so technically 3 ply!

Been chopping oak boards all afternoon but managed another quick play before Tea time. Took a slightly better pic than the one above... does show up the trigger guard a little better

[​IMG]

@SimonCornwall I shall try to not knock it over..! :facepalm:

Thanks guys.

oedbachgen and Rincewind666 like this.
  12. dougan

dougan Donator

Excellent job Nubble!

Nubble likes this.
  13. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Thank you.

14. Dennyboy

Dennyboy Engaging Member

Brilliant work, well done mate. :up::)

Nubble likes this.
  15. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Nice 1. Cheers Dennyboy.

16. Mortimer

Mortimer Lord Haw Haw

Very inventive and an interesting post. I think it was worth all that work. :D
    Do you know what sort of wood it is? A lot of chopping boards are bamboo laminate, but some are mango wood. It would be nice to try it with an olive wood chopping board. Nicely figured, but expensive and easily split, I've heard.
    I'm sure you could manage, though. :up:

Nubble likes this.
  17. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Spooky......, s'funny I almost tried on a piece of olive-wood first. :cool: Really lovely figuring on it, incredible colours but about half an inch too small for what I really wanted and maybe just a tad pale. Didn't really leave me much room for working. It would have made an amazing stock tho and is still in mind.

Bamboo and Mango tend to be very open grained so never really considered them. A lot of boards also tend to use thin narrow planks, obviously off cuts around 2" wide just stuck together but the ones I used were wider at around 8" planks.
    The wood I used is Acacia. It has a lovely warm orange colour but also varies incredibly with colours from pale blonde to dark oranges and browns and really open grain to tight mahogany like grain with knots thrown in for good measure... :confused: Difficult to match up but great for variation if that's what you like.

I'm trying another with 2 pieces from same board and total contrasting centre section in the hope that the sides will look the same but the centre totally different.
    The next one will take a while tho. I wanna do a ply one too. I have some nice Beech ply.

Dennyboy, Mortimer and oedbachgen like this.