1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Novice wanting to hunt in Norfolk.

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by savagehenry, May 11, 2012.

1. savagehenry

savagehenry Member

About 6 months ago my neighbours moved (the mother stole £70,000 from the parish council so had to leave the village) which is good because I hated them and I know my new neighbours and get on fine. They have brought chickens into their garden which has brought rats. around xmas time they were running riot in my back garden and as I have french doors could watch them scurry around. I managed to borrow a gun BSA .22 with a good scope but a pretty basic gun. The sights were out so I missed a few attempts and it's a bit of serious waiting game for them to turn up only for 30 or so seconds..so I had the gun loaded (on safe) ready. I've only managed to hit one rat and although it rolled it over and screeched it got up and ran away!

The point to this long winded story is I'm addicted, I'm looking into buying a high powered co2 rifle, but I want to go onto farm land and shoot as a hobby. All the air gun shops have been really help full with gun advice but I am struggling to find out how to go on shoots,contact other enthusiasts and find out how to approach farmers. I live in north west Norfolk and am surrounded by farm land. I can't commit to spending a fair bit on a new rifle with out any shoots to attend. I'd love to do night shoots on rats but am open to any hunting options.

Anyone in the Norfolk area?? or just any advice or info would be great,

Thanks.

2. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

Welcome aboard! I'm sure there will be others to respond to your points that have more expertise in hunting than I.

:D

3. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

why cant you comit without the land?
    a high powered rifle as you put it, will still only be a max 12ft lb, and you have said yourself you need practise on the one shot,one kill,
    get a rifle
    practise on targets in the garden,providing a safe backstop,
    once you can hit a target one after the other, then get out looking for permissions,
    dont just look at farms, you have garden centres,large homes,churches,etc etc
    far better to have the tools and be trained in using them first, so if something comes up, you can say, I'll be there tomorrow
    rather than, being offered and saying
    ok, I'll go buy a gun, then practise till I can humainly dispatch on first shot, I'll be around in a few weeks

4. hypoboy

hypoboy Well-Known Member

As pestie says, learn first then go hunting. There's a decent club up your way somewhere. No doubt secretagentmole will know more details. Go along, have a chat, see if they've got loan guns you can use before buying anything and just soak up some knowledge. You may well find if you go along to a club and are seen to be responsible, you may well get invited to tag along with other members on existing permissions.

5. savagehenry

savagehenry Member

I do have a gun. But as you say a buddy or club must be the way forward. I got my first clean kill the other night. It's taken 3 weeks or so but it was almost dark and the rat was facing me eating the dropped seeds from the tree feeder. The only people I'm getting told I can tag along with are 12 bore locals that do clays which I am not interested in. Anyway I was really happy with my kill but just want more opportunities really. although the chickens next door are bound to bring more rats (I hope).
    DSC01498.jpg DSC01499.jpg DSC01497.jpg

6. olgregory

olgregory Well-Known Member

Hi mate, I live in Dersingham just down the road from you if you are in Kings Lynn, me and a couple of mate are into airgun shooting (obviously) not got any permissions at present but there is a monthly HFT shoot that is held at Swanton Morley (On the B1147, Nearest post code is NR20 4RH), 5 minutes drive from Dereham on the first sunday of every month, Its always a good crack and a nice easy going atmosphere. The shoot is ran by Churchills of dereham check out there website. http://www.churchillsofdereham.co.uk/index.php/air-rifle-club/ I know its not hunting but its still good fun.

7. savagehenry

savagehenry Member

Hello mate, That's strange because although my Profile says kings lynn I don't actually live there (thank god..no offence to people that do) I live in Snettisham. I take it HFT is target shooting?? I'd love to come along just to soak up the knowledge and meet some people into the same hobby. So are you looking to hunt? just haven't got any places or permissions?? As you are a stones throw from me you should know the area I'm talking about. My dad walks my sisters black lab around the lanes and fields in Bircham village. and he bumped into an air-gunner that had been putting food and a decoy in a field and plotting up in a hedge and picking off tons of pigeons. although they had a good chat as my dad was impressed by the gun he had (my dad was a 12 bore user for years) he didn't know I was planning on taking a hunt hobby seriously so didn't ask him about the permission situation.
    I do need to learn abit more about targeting and adjusting my scope, hence the lengthy rat hunt.
    Let me know when the shoots are and I'll come along. I've just got a borrowed BSA but it's not a battered old thing....it not too bad lol.

8. olgregory

olgregory Well-Known Member

Yeah HFT is target shooting, and yeah we are looking for permissions, just so hard to come by. You can check the website for when the shoots are but as I said its normally the first Sunday of every month and there are lots of experienced people there who will more than willing to give there help and advise, as well as us Dersingham lads. Ive sent you a friend request so we can keep in touch.

9. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

for future reference that is TOTALLY ILLEGAL,
    make sure before you commit to hunting/pest control, you read up and fully understand the general license
    and if you ever meet that lad again, you could tell him, surprised your dad did'nt say anything to him being a shotty holder

10. savagehenry

savagehenry Member

I'm guessing dad thought he had permission, My dad told me (whether true or not) that the reason there are so many pigeons around my area is that they used to be sold to places like france where they would eat any type of pigeons. I must admit when I was young I don't remember my back garden being full of them like it is now. Or the fields for that matter....I might be wrong....I'm no expert on the matter.
    I've got another Rat around so that will keep me busy (frustrated) for a while. As they have so many escape routes, unless they are sitting eating (how I got my first one) my only real shot is while it's sitting at a hole entrance just before it bolts takes the food and scrappers back again. And also if I miss I normally don't see it for the rest of the day.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  11. savagehenry

savagehenry Member

I realise just plotting up in any field is illegal, but if he does have permission is the baiting part illegal too? I'll have a read up.

Thanks for the advise.

12. .22 Benny

.22 Benny Engaging Member

Baiting the birds with food is the illegal part. On the top of rats I hear the thing to do is smear peanut butter on a brick then put it near his hole.

13. savagehenry

savagehenry Member

A brick....nice idea. I was putting big lumps of bread with peanut butter or chocolate spread, but they would still drag the whole thing away. so they are dropping and going back constantly which makes for a tough shot.

Cheers buddy.