1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Not strictly airgun... but shooting all the same.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Chael, May 12, 2006.

1. Chael

Chael Engaging Member

Hi, just decided to announce that I will be getting some sort of rimfire rifle (not decided on make/model yet) on my FAC.

I don't know how much anyone here knows about them but from the help I have got and the research I have done, I will be going for the .17Hmr calibre, pretty much because of it's range and accuracy.

If anyone here can help me decide on the actual rifle then that would be great :) some of the ones I have been looking at are:

Sako Quad: Can change calibre by buying a new barrel, slighlty worried as to how this will affect accuracy though...

CZ *: People tell me that CZ make good guns, I haven't got a clue

Savage: hmmm... looked good at first but I was then told that the trigger is sh##e on them and that the replacement is a big job.

So basically I am still browsing and need some help so, thanks to anyone that can lend me a hand :D

2. Austin

Austin Well-Known Member

Go for a Remington. Great quality, just like Winchester. I just don't like Winchester rimfires because they are an 'Old West' style. I would go for the .22 caliber if I were you, because it is that much more stopping power.

P.S. I have used a Savage quite a bit, and the trigger is not sh##e

3. Chael

Chael Engaging Member

Thanks for the info, and I will definitly be trying a remmy now, but I think I will stick to the .17...

It's more sccurate
    Longer ranges
    Legally able to kill foxes, my biggest vermin

Cheers,
    Chael

4. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

5. Chael

Chael Engaging Member

hmmm... well obviously I will need to stop using just the open sites and get my scope on, but after that I should be able to :p

6. Eagleman

Eagleman Member

I am not going to set myself up as an FAC expert Chael (not by a long shot - forgive pun) but I have just applied for FAC myself. I am in the Met district and seems that Met do not like first time applications for rimfire. I applied for .17HMR as well as LR and FAC air. I'll probably get the FAC air but less sure of the other two.

From all that I've read (and I've read a fair bit) the CZ are first rate guns and this is what I'd go for. Less sure about foxes as a first choice weapon though. As I understand it most police firearms units reackon that it should be .223 as a weapon of choice and .17 as an "opportunistic weapon" up to about 50 yards max. I have also read that you must state "fox" on your application and have this granted on the FAC.

Now please don't take anything I've said above as "the truth" because it may not be. But perhaps worth checking over.

7. Austin

Austin Well-Known Member

Just to be clear here, In Canada, FAC is:

Firearm
    Acquisition (sp)
    Certificate

We now call it a PAL

Posession
    Acquisition (sp)
    Licence

So, what does it mean accross the pond?

And about CZ, they are not very highly regarded thoughout of in North America, like Remington, Winchester, Colt/Diemco, Enfield and Savage. But hey, whatever floats your boat. AS for buying a Model 700, Wiat a while if you are thinking of it. THe have some issues with the safety at the moment.

Happy Shooting!

8. Eagleman

Eagleman Member

Wingman - FAC in the UK means "Firearms Certificate" - simple as that. Interesting that the CZ not regarded well over the pond. It would not be an exaggeration to say that they are HIGHLY regarded over here. I don't think people would say that they are as good as rifles like Savage but in terms of cost and what you get for your money they are very good value indeed.

9. Austin

Austin Well-Known Member

I huess things are just different in the West. There are 3 levels of PAL:

Normal
    Lets you own rifles and shotguns

Restricted
    Lets you own long guns and pistols

Prohibited
    Lets you own Sidearms, Long Arms, and thinks like a 40mm launcher, sawed off shotgun, and automatics firearms.

I guess across the pond we like our 'home grown' rifles as well as the older companies around, and also, the HK types (gotta love German engineering ;-)