1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Not much to contribute so here is some fishing flies

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by ben_tucka, Aug 6, 2014.

1. ben_tucka

ben_tucka Donator

Well as the thread title describes I've not much experience on the air gun side (yet). so It seems a few people fish on here so I thought maybe I will contribute with some fishing, As I have done some form of fishing all my life but in the last 2 or three years it has been fly fishing that has me hooked :)

so I do tie my own flies and as a lot of you on here have your own skills I thought id share some of my creations with you.

So here goes this collection is mainly from my river box and dependant on the response on this I may take some shots of the stillwater box as well :)

so we will start off with a olive paradun. parachute flies are becoming more common place especially on the rivers with the stability that parachute wing gives

http://[​IMG]

next up is my take on a black and peacock spider a lovely north country spider for across and down fishing :)

now time for one of my favourite nymphs this little flash back nymph accounts for 90% of all of my fish on the rivers (infact why am I sharing it lol)

now the pink grub, this little grub fly is so bright and grayling in winter coloured water works brilliant accompanied by a similar grey grub it will also act as an attractor and increase takes on the grey grub.

now for a great trout pattern its a CDC emerging caenis (i believe) and has given my plenty of evenings fun, in normally use a 9ft tapered leader with 4ft of copolymer tippet and this fly on the point makes for some great dry fly fun

now for the summer / autumn sedges this fly pattern used to live in my stillwater box but has now earnt a place in both of my boxes this particular version is described as a non descript sedge (meaning it represents many variants of sedge)

now probably all know the fly this is supposed to represent its an aphid aka greenfly although now a water based fly streams with heavy tree cover this fly can be deadly.

now the balloon caddis

Hope your all still with me

then the klinkhammer which is great for the duo setup as you can see it has a bright pink top for strike indication from the bottom nymph this has now changed to ornage though for better visibility

Grey Paradun as the first fly but in grey

If you have any questions about the techniques, or suggestions for improvements etc, get in touch will be happy to talk with you :) :D

also anyone that wants company while fishing gimmi a shout I like fishing new places and with new people :)

Thanks
    Ben.

2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Beutifuly made flies mate, I use to sit and watch my grandad tying flies,

i could never ever get the hang of it:)

3. ben_tucka

ben_tucka Donator

Thankyou :) I tie all sorts of flies including pike flies but the only thing i cant get the hang of is those traditional winged patterns :(

Ben.

4. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Very nice ben mate u certainly have a bit of skill there pal

5. eagle1980

eagle1980 Engaging Member

Great work, Might have to give this a go myself at some stage :up:

6. ben_tucka

ben_tucka Donator

Thanks Dave.

and yeah go for it just a warning though you will end up with more and more bits of materials Ive managed by just building step by step and selling a few flies to buy my next cape and such, but you will need a desk and storage space.

Ben.

7. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Will have to have aday out some time ben i used to love fly fishing when younger where do u got the calder ect some times regret selling my fishing gear real relaxing sport atb dave theres some nice troutin the stream below the range matey

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  8. ben_tucka

ben_tucka Donator

yeah gimmi a shout mate I got plenty of kit for you to borrow and yeah im on the halifax and ryburn book on the calder and also bradford no1 as well but I also do a few stillwaters, like fewston, ladybower, scout dyke and theres a few more about as well :) but definitely up for a trip out bud.

9. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Cool loves a bit of fishing i does ;) hope to see u soon mate at club atvb dave G

10. ben_tucka

ben_tucka Donator

yeah let me know when your off down as I do need to put it on the chrono it before I attempt to strip it down and put the tuning kit in (bit worried about doing it) was ideally thinking today or tomorrow for that so I can fit the kit over the weekend. IF you need a lift let me know bud.

Ben.

11. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Yeah i have a combrochrono u could borrow while your doing the tunning to be on the safe side atvb dave

12. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, they look great, been a trouter over 40 years lakes/rivers but now most a club lake and a friends guest lake, i just knock up some montana sort of things for the lake i fish, eye sight to bad for anything else. if i need any its www.uktroutflys.co.uk which are good vfm. got some 2 boxes of tying stuff !!! my old fishy friend gave me, even gold plated hooks!!! anyway fishing tomorrow :up: cheers

13. ben_tucka

ben_tucka Donator

thanks :) I dont really fish with anything that's not tied by me any more, like sunday I had 18 fish all to the same fly in 4 hrs without needing to swap flies you just cant buy flies that last that long. like I say I have a stillwater box which has montana's in which I can show if this post proves popular and people want to see more (I may have bored too many people with it been a air rifle forum)

forgot to mention best of luck tomorrow hope that line is constantly been tightened :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  14. ben_tucka

ben_tucka Donator

so what we thinking guys should i start taking some pics of my stillwater box?

Ben.

15. Jim of Cov

Jim of Cov Donator

Last time I went Fly fishing I caught a Bluebottle!!!
    (Comedy Gold).
    Going for the first time on Sept. 20.

16. ben_tucka

ben_tucka Donator

O you mean the Calliphora vomitoria as its known. (Okay i google searched it) and thats some good skill though i jist dont get how we are supposed to use that line to flick flies out of the air lol :)