1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Not competitive at all...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by MrsGarf, Aug 3, 2014.

1. MrsGarf

MrsGarf Member

So tonight Garf and MrsGarf decided to have another play with our new toys. We're lucky to live near a field my mum owns, which is great for target practice.
    First up was some posing for the camera - here's Garf with his Weihrauch 100T.
    View attachment 100725

Next up it MrsGarf with the S400 MPR :)
    View attachment 100726 View attachment 100727

I've been shooting in this position, but think I need to try and get used to having my butt off the floor and sit on my right foot/kneel instead, is that correct? Anyway for tonight's first challenge I fired from this position and Garf was shooting from a prone position, using a makeshift bipod from two short pieces of bamboo.

The challenge was to fire as many times as needed to zero the rifle and then take 10 shots each and highest score wins.
    Now bearing in mind Garf has used firearms quite a bit in the past and was renowned for being a pretty good shot; whereas I, on the other hand, had fired a rifle for the first time yesterday; the odds were somewhat stacked against me. But I like a challenge so I went with it.

For a chuckle here's what I was up against - Garf's targets:
    View attachment 100728

Now I'm not sure how many of the pellets were in the "6" score, but to be fair I wasn't going to compete on points...even so I was quite pleased with my efforts:
    View attachment 100729

These were from around 10m - keeping it easy for now.

I tried to shoot standing - lol :eek: at least I still hit the target, somewhere. But I did also get a chance to fire Garf's rifle and manage to hit the flower head I aimed at for a change from around 10m.
    View attachment 100730
    Happy for a newbie :D

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Look at the HFT kneeling position,I think that's what you're describing,I prefer the FT sitting and find kneeling pretty uncomfortable.

3. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    good shooting there Mrs Graf, doing the mpr proud. you could do with one of picklehoffer's beanbag to sit on.
    BTW, what pellets you using ? mattys mpr loves jsb exact express

4. MrsGarf

MrsGarf Member

Thanks guys. Stevemandm we're using AirArms Diablo Field pellets. Probably a really ignorant question but how would I know which are better?

5. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    Not ignorant at all. Many barrels prefer certain pellets, and so perform better with certain pellets. The air arms barrels are quite unfussy where pellets are concerned, but we have had 4 s400's, and all preferred jsb exact express, then jsb exact 4.52, in that order. Mattys mpr will put 10 pellets (exact express) in a group that a 5p coin will cover at 50 yards or so. it's just a process of testing various pellets to find out which give you the most accurate, and consistant, groupings. We tried only a few before realising that the exact express were the ones.
    Hope this explains ok.
    Steve

6. MrsGarf

MrsGarf Member

I'm sure Mattys MPR might - but I'm thinking quite a bit of that is also due to Matty!! :D It was very helpful, thank you.

7. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

I think you have a cross between FT kneeling and sitting. Sitting will be more stable than kneeling. Have a search for FT sitting position.

8. Alf Tupper

Alf Tupper Member

Nice shoes and what's the full logo on the sweatshirt as I'm sure I've seen someone wearing one. Great shooting - my missus couldn't hit a house if she was standing inside it, but my (veggie) daughter has just enjoyed her first red deer stalking so I reckon we'll be ok if there's an apocalypse.

Just on position - not sure what it'd be called nowadays, but I can get my knees right up and put the rifle across the crook of my left arm then hold the back of my right bicep with my left hand. Rock solid specially if you find something solid to lean against.

9. richardscar

richardscar Donator

I used to use the FT sitting position described above and with a little practice it is virtually rock steady ..... it looks like neither of you have a "beer belly" so you should be fine ;) , unfortunately I have .lol
    before you know it you will be producing groups like that at much further distances .. enjoy and atb, rich.

10. MrsGarf

MrsGarf Member

Thanks all - I look up the FT positions - that day I just sat in what felt comfortable! No idea about position type. Garf and I were talking about prone positions and he tried to show me that day, but I couldn't even get a sight prone. We've made a few adjustments to the rifle set up and I know it's not bob on yet as I have to make a few attempts to get a clear sight, but once I got the rifle at the right height and me somewhat comfortable I managed to get this little lot out from around 15yds:
    View attachment 100883
    5 shots at each target, rezeroed the rifle after the first (top left) target (husband shot it from 35yds and that's the errant hole not in the black! :D) Then moved onto the top right, middle, bottom left and bottom right.
    Happy for my first prone attempt. :)

11. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

A nice starter card, you will be surprised how much better it becomes with practice.
    Some things that have helped me below.

Sitting posture is key, its all about stability then learn follow through.

Follow through is not pulling the rifle after the shot, if you can get to the point that the sight picture is unchanged AFTER the shot is taken you will see the pellets going down the same hole at 15 yards :D

Breath in, the sight rises, let out half a breath the sight falls, hold the breath as the sight moved onto target, take the shot. Try to keep your position on the natural point of aim, don't fight for the target. If off target move your position not the hold.

Tony

12. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

Nice one! Keep at it!

13. clbarclay

clbarclay Engaging Member

For pellet testing you want to remove as much of the human inaccuracy as possible. Use watever you can to support the rifle as steadily as possible. Sitting comfotably at a sturdy table with a gun rest or bean bags etc. supporting the rifle stock helps a lot.