1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Nomad2 Mini Compressor Review

Discussion in 'Airgun Reviews' started by pjgtech, Dec 6, 2019.

1. pjgtech

pjgtech I shoot, therefore I aim......

Wow, can I just say that again, Wow!
    What a great little compressor.
    I have been debating whether to get a compressor for some time, finally bit the bullet this week.
    Did not fancy the cheapo Chinese Bay of E jobbies, which require a bit of fettling and additional water cooling. Did not fancy a £2k job either, mainly cos I can't afford it. Theres also a similar unit to the Nomad2, but it has an external power adaptor, so another bit of kit to trudge around. No, I wanted a lightweight complete package.

So, after much reading, watching you tube clips, asking people and general faffing, I eventually decided on the Nomad2. An all in one compact unit, that fills guns, via their onboard bottles or cylinders, it is not designed to fall large tanks or cylinders.

Down the shop I goes (Crawley Surplus if you must ask) and they did not have one in stock, but said they could get one next day and for a good price, cheapest I could find online was £620 (Uttings), Countryways did say to me about tow weeks ago that they could possibly get one for around £600 and I was considering this, but I just so happened to be in Crawley Surplus this week, so, sorry Countryways!

Next day as promised Crawley Surplus rang, it had arrived, I went and had a look and I immediately liked its size, weight, the way it was packaged, etc. so I bought it on the spot.
    Unfortunately I had no time to check it out yesterday, but today, I was home from work early and had a little play......

So what do you get?
    IMG_20191205_162843515.jpg
    Well a well packed box for a start, very well packed, solid, lots of fitted foam. The nomad is a very snug and protected fit.... Open the lid and you get this...
    Nomad2 Compressor1.jpg
    Theres a plastic tray with spare o rings, spare burst discs, spare fuse, (30A) spare rubber feet, the mains lead, spare air filters, the air line with a best fittings type connector and a blanking plug, so the unit can be tested, a nice easy to read user manual, an (empty) dropper bottle, for the silicone oil you need to lubricate the system, (luckily I had already bought some). Theres also the car battery leads to run the compressor off your car.
    Nomad2 Compressor2.jpg
    The compressor itself is easily carried, have not weighed it but I reckon its about 10kg or 11kg. It comes with a really nice canvas case, that snugly fits the unit and is slightly padded and has both a carry handle and also a removable shoulder strap. On the side of the case is a large zipped pocket, bit enough to put the mains lead, car leads and air line. There is also a smaller zipped pocket which is big enough to hole all the other bits, spares, dropper bottle, etc. This really is a well thought out package.
    Nomad2 Compressor3.jpg
    The unit is easy to operate:
    Connect mains lead, fan comes on.
    Ensure pressure release plug is tight.
    Set desired pressure.
    Connect air line.
    Connect to gun.
    Turn on unit, motor starts.
    Turn on compressor, pressure increases.
    Once pressure reached unit auto shuts off (or can shut off manually)
    Release pressure, turn off unit, disconnect air line.
    Easy Peasy....Lemon Squeasy...
    Nomad2 Compressor4.jpg
    So, to start I tested it with no gun, blank plug fitted, set pressure at 100, unit worked fin, shut off at 100bar, then tried it at 200bar, all worked fine.
    So now to refill my guns, (usually topped up by Hills hand pump):
    1st up is my Air Arms s410 TDR - it was at 90bar and I usually fill it to 190bar
    Connected it up and amazingly this took about 45 seconds to fill.
    Next up is my BSA R10SE, this was around 110bar and I usually fill to around 200bar, this took a bit longer, just under two minutes to auto shut off.

Noise levels, not really that loud, I reckon no more than the average hairdryer?
    Heat, did not seem to get too hot. I let it cool with the fan on after I tested with the blank, then I let it rest again after filling the TDR. Only a couple of minutes each time.

There is a "load" meter, which they recommend should not go over 30, my unit did not seem to go over 23 the whole time, so well within its limits.
    Nomad2 Compressor5.jpg The unit apparently requires two or three drops of silicone oil every 5 fills or so. So even a small bottle of oil will last a very long time. Air filters need changing every 2 to 3 hrs of use.

When filling the unit vibrates a little bit, but nothing major, but it might be worth keeping an eye on bolts, screws, etc to make sure they do not get shaken loose.

I was expecting this to work ok, but to be a bit slow, but I honestly could not believe how quick and easy it was to fill my two pcps. I may now need to get a 3rd pcp to justify the need for a compressor!

Overall, very impressed with the whole package, seems to be well built, works great, easy to user, minimal maintenance, small, compact unit, portable, with the ability to use the unit out an about at the range, etc. I am very impressed so far and would not hesitate to recommend this little unit.

Lev Levvin, Artie, talent and 8 others like this.
  2. Deleted Member 42982

Deleted Member 42982 Banned

Likey! So what did you pay?
    Looks very smart and no water to Fanny about with Happy Christmas to You!

Redcap 114 likes this.
  3. pjgtech

£615 plus they threw in a free bottle of silicone oil, worth about a fiver so £610 effectively. :D

4. sagalout

sagalout What a plinker!

That looks really good.

Deleted Member 42982 likes this.
  5. Jimmypie

Jimmypie Pffft , Pop , Twang , Bang

Looks great ! , another thing on my list :D

6. Deleted Member 3503

Deleted Member 3503 Top Poster

Glad you're pleased with it.
    A compressor is my single best buy in the last 12 months.

7. Figgy

Figgy Very Active

Must get through some air or have a long drive to fill a cylinder to make buying a compressor worth it on a purely financial scale.
    Ease of filling when you want to yes there great.

Being able to fill from 12v is a plus

8. Blister

Blister Busy Member

i got a cheap compressor no water or silicone needed fills from 200bar to 300 in 3 to 4 mins and cost under £200. i was looking at the nomad but never liked the price

15748887142575316509876343441913.jpg

gixxer, talent, Redcap 114 and 4 others like this.
  9. PBaz Barrett

PBaz Barrett 'I love slinging lead me'..

Yes nice one, you just cant beat being self sufficient.. :thumb:

10. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

I'm very happy with the nomad 2 and it does exactly what it says on the tin....however if you don't have it permanently set up, then walking past my 12L bottle is very hard and I end up filling from that......so the plan is to get it set up permanently in the shed :D

As for shaking thinking loose - yes it does....on the underside there is a bleed valve....that opens :D I know this :D The other thing with that bleed valve on the underside is that its almost the same depth as the feet....so when you stand it on the table its almost/is touching.....something to watch out for.

Cracking buy - especially if you have buddy bottle air rifles and filling to 250 bar.

NathanM1 likes this.
  11. PBaz Barrett

PBaz Barrett 'I love slinging lead me'..

I think Giles said it came with extendable feet? or at least ive heard you can get them.. Sounds a good bit of kit.. Will it fill a 3lt bottle or just for airguns?

12. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark I see light at the end of the tunnel!

Blimey, does that have overpressure safety, any cut off etc. etc.? how noisy is it?

PBaz Barrett likes this.
  13. pjgtech

There are feet extenders to lift the compressor a tad higher included. No you can, t fill bottles only guns.

Tim_B and Deleted Member 42982 like this.
  14. pjgtech

I've seen those but did not like the external mains adaptor, I like the built in one on the nomad2

15. Blister

Blister Busy Member

i know thats what i thought about the external adapter but its ok nothing wrong with it. you can hook the compressor straight up to a car batterie

16. no country members

no country members tooled up tool

Nice looking bit of kit for sure but I still don't get the numbers tbh...

I need 2 to 3 fills per year for my 7 litre cylinder at £6 a go. £!8 a year.
    I need a hydrostatic test every 5 years at £35.
    A 7l bottle or 12l bottle is around £180 new.

So cost in first year say £200.
    Cost in years 2, 3 and 4 £18.
    Cost in year 5 £47 (test includes a fill).

5 year cost of ownership £301.

So break even point on a £600 compressor is 10 years! :eek:

I didn't factor in fuel for visiting the RFD to get fills as I go there anyway for buying too much other sh1te like rests and cleaners and lubes and pellets and scopes and studs and slings and bipods and silencers! :D So no money left for bloody compressors! :D:D:D:facepalm:

kenny boy, Geordiedan and Regis like this.
  17. Blister

Blister Busy Member

no cut off just keep an eye on it whilst its filling

18. sagalout

sagalout What a plinker!

No country members (I do :thumb:) for you the numbers don't work, for me they do. I use 20-40 bar a day from a 7L bottle, 45 minutes each way to the fill station, £5 a fill, with fuel call it £15 a fill, don't take long for the compressor to pay for itself financially let alone in lost life hours :)

Vince68 likes this.
  19. no country members

no country members tooled up tool

Well hats mate if you are dropping a 7l bottle by 20-40 Bar in a single day you are shifting some serious amount of lead there!! :thumb:

I reckon my bottle gives up to 20 full fills (on the gun this is from 85 to 200bar or just over) from it's full position at 300 bar down to 200 where I take it for a top up. This equates to 20x200 shots = 4,000 pellets or 8 tins.

A 40 bar drop on my bottle would mean 40% of its 'usable' capacity has been used which should mean 3,200 shots enjoyed! If you are doing this in one day good on yer! :thumb:

20. sagalout

sagalout What a plinker!

I drop 20 bar for roughly 500 pellets through the Ultra, I do that at least most days. If I have a couple of weeks like the last, as well as shooting I'm taking the blooming things apart chasing leaks, fitting regs that don't do what I expect, it very soon reaches 40 a day. A 220 fill of of the Ultra does 40-50 shots down to 100 bar, the unregulated is more like 35-40. So 500 pellets is 10 fills, 5 days and I'm down, down deeper 'n' down. :)

Your's must be using a lot less air per shot than mine.

fills.jpg