1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

No Woodies

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Andrew, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Andrew

Andrew Engaging Member

The forecast seemed ideal for a spot of wood pigeon shooting today. I dropped the kids into school and headed off to one of my permissions. I chucked a few decoys down and waited.. and waited ...and waited. Literally nothing, not even a corvid in the sky. After an hour of nothing I pack up my decoys and head back through another small wood on the permission. A squirrel bolts up the side of a tree and into a small hole 15ft up the tree but for what ever reason can't get in properly so his tails hanging out. I keep aim and the squirrel doubles back and pokes his head out. I take the shot and there's a loud thud but the squirrel doesn't even move at all, I re load and shoot again. Again a loud thud but no movement. Slowly the dead squirrel starts to slide out of the hole but it's back legs stop it from exiting the hole. It's just hanging limp from the tree 15ft up. I get out my catty and fire a few hex nuts at it to try and dislodge it. I then resort to lobbing a stick like a javelin which does the trick. Bit gutted I didn't get any woodies but a squizzer in the bag is always a good thing.

Attached Files:

Dr B, David M, themadspread and 5 others like this.
  2. Kizzy

Kizzy Well-Known Member

Nothing worse than putting in all that effort and things don't go to plan. Always Next time....:thumb:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    steevie dan and Andrew like this.
  3. Andrew

Andrew Engaging Member

One thing that did rub salt in the wounds was when I picked the kids up from school I could see from the school yard around 100 birds swirling around another one of my permissions on the mountain opposite! If I had only gone there instead, like you said though there's always next time.

steevie dan likes this.
  4. Marky-Boy

Marky-Boy Just The Two

Mate excellent shot one more than me today

Andrew and steevie dan like this.
  5. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 Forum Nice Guy

Good bit of shooting there buddy

Andrew and steevie dan like this.
  6. steevie dan

steevie dan Keyboard Hero

Never mind mate you got a squirrel, so not a waste is it, well done on the retrieve.

Andrew likes this.
  7. TheNewbieShooter

TheNewbieShooter Post Whore

What gun is that ?

8. Andrew

Andrew Engaging Member

It's my trusty old mk1 rapid 7

9. Eurodemon

Eurodemon Engaging Member

Nice shooting buddy

Andrew likes this.
  10. David M

David M Donator

It's never a wasted day getting away from it all. Good action is treated like a bonus in my book.

Well done though mate, the pigeons will keep for next time....:thumb:

Marky-Boy and Andrew like this.
  11. Andrew

Andrew Engaging Member

You are right, it's just nice being out in the countryside. I can see one permission from where I work, it's heaving with woodies today! They feeding on the acorns. Just need a day off now, roll on Friday!

12. David M

David M Donator

I spend half my sessions gorping about to see where better ambush sights might be. If I'm walking along a hedgerow to a hide and a rabbit bolts through a fence, you can bet he'll be there again tomorrow. Or sitty trees where pigeons/corvids hang out certain times of the day, I'll pace out about 25-35 yards to see if there's a suitable place to batch up next time I'm there. My tundra tex guille suit helps out then...!

Good luck Friday....:thumb: