1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Nissan Patrol 4x4 4.2l Diesel

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by tinmanofkent, Sep 19, 2014.

1. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

My sister has text me today to ask if I want to buy her Nissan Patrol.

She bought it to tow her horse boxes and carriages around but has decided to sell it and her Audi estate car and get an Audi 4x4.

The patrol is old, about 98 or 99 but she is only asking £1,500, which seems cheap and I don't have any 4x4 at the moment. She said it's an import as many Japanese 4x4s are.

It has a big 4.2 diesel straight six.

Does anybody know anything about these old motors? I like an old 4x4, I find them very handy, any advice or info will be gratefully received.

James

2. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

don't know too much but what I do know is there one of the best of the big 4x4's, buy it mate, now :up:

3. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

Buy it, the fuel economy can't be any worse than that . forsaken red land rover you drive and it will be quicker. Lol

Andrew

4. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

I've just found out its a 7 seater having spoken to my nephew, who is a mechanic and says it is mechanically sound. Apparently it has neither cam belt or chain but it's timing is mechanically gear driven.

The transmission is manual.

It seems cheap, comparable models on eBay are about double or more.

5. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

well you always see the UN using them, so they must be reliable

6. Alex.B

Alex.B Big Poster

Buy it ! Its a bomb proof tank !

As long as it don't smell of horse pooh !

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  7. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

I always head to http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/ for advice on possible issues with any given model of car.

8. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

They go for ever. Look at the UN. They use them all the time. :thumb:

9. martin22

martin22 Donator

in a nuttshell bombproof,back in my offroading days a lot of lads who were competing were modifying patrol axles to fit there landrover challenge trucks,they were stronger in standard form running gear than landrover axles even with uprated ashcroft ect half shafts/cv's crown wheels & pinions ect
    i know 2 lads who were running patrol 3.3 engines and again bullet proof with unbelievable torque so can only imagine what the 4.2 produces
    the only thing that may let it down is fuel economy/tax bracket and as with any ladder rail chassis on british roads is the old tin worm so worth giving a good looking over underneath but it does sound a bargain at the price youve said,even if you have to factor in a bit of welding somewhere down the line

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  10. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer LOW BELLEND THRESHOLD

can`t say much about the patrol model but I`m on my third pathfinder and find them excellent:up::up::up::up:

11. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

I think as it is a late 90s model the road fund licence won't be bumped up by emissions.
    There is an advisory for rust on chassis but I have a good one-man-band welder who seems to do everything for a £30 flat fee!

Thank you everybody for your contributions, they have been very useful and it looks like a handy old truck to have knocking around. Think I will make a purchase!

12. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I have a Nissan Terrano 4x4 ,7 seater 2.7 Turbo intercooler Diesel. It's the top of the range model with the leather etc. On a good run she will only return a max of about 33-35mpg @60-70mph and running around local shopping/going to mates farm shooting she uses a lot more. If you get a good one, they're pretty good, but we got a "bad un" unfortunately and she got a nasty tinworm infection the MOT previous to the current one. She needed a LOT of welding as the floor from the rear seats almost to the rear door was rotten and had to be rebuilt and welded in place :mad:. However, the MOT we had this year in July cost just £40 for the ticket, and they have said they don't see any problem with trying it again next year :). It's a nice big, high 4x4 and I like driving it and it's quite nice to drive. Nissan went cheap with the terrano though, having it built in spain in the same factory as Fords Maverick and the build quality is not the best :rolleyes:. Still, it does what it's asked, has a very reliable engine that has never failed to start once even in harsh winters (London black cab diesel and they go for ever), will pull anything and will get out of deep muck in low range 4 wheel drive almost as good as a 'Landy' with the correct tyres :p

The Patrol though is well known to have a much better build quality and I almost bought one myself, but the Terrano was cheaper for a much newer 'reg'. I still see lots of Patrols around my area, some getting old now but still going strong! That 4.2L will probably DRINK diesel though, so unless you're only driving it local for shooting or shopping....Hmmm lol. She may well only return 20-25mpg tops and I would be surprised if you get much more out of her :eek:. Still, sounds like a good buy to me and far more reliable than a Land Rover Discovery/Defender/Freelander any day of the week.

My ex-wife had a Nissan X-Trail for years and other than a little bit of engine trouble (not serious) at one time, it was a really wonderful 4x4 towing a large Caravan all over the UK year after year trouble free. Of course the X-Trail was also very comfortable to drive, great spec inside etc. Just that clock in the middle of the dash like an old mini was like, ewwwwww lol :rolleyes:.

If you want a good, solid reliable 4x4 that has the bonnet up maybe once every 2-3 years, buy a Toyota (My personal fav's), or a Nissan (maybe not terrano though lol).

But if you prefer to have the bonnet up cursing and swearing every other weekend constantly 'fettling' and having to buy pretty expensive parts, putting up with water leaks from the doors etc, buy a Landrover :D. (My mate has a year 14 Defender and it's already "been in" a few times) :D. Just my opinion of course :p. (Blocks ears with earplugs in readiness from the :eek: from 'Landrover Folks' :rolleyes:

Andy :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  13. coney

coney Engaging Member

I have the top of the range Terrano that you describe, have had at least 6 4x4s in the past and find the Terrano perfect for my requirements, certainly wouldn't swop it for a Navara, did about 200,000 miles in a Patrol, tough all rounder but thirsty.

14. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

I use a defender now and then at the moment. It's an old 200tdi and to be fair is very reliable mechanically but riddled with minor faults that are major annoying!

I have heard many good things about your Terrano on the forum. They seem to be pretty good performers all round.

Agree completely with Toyota 4x4s being king. My dad had a Hilux twin cab from new for 10 years and covered 147k in it. When I sold it for him I had offers within 30 minutes over the phone and it sold blind to a man who made a bank transfer overnight. He now has a fully loaded LandCruiser, which is better now he has retired.

I had a Mitsubishi L200 Animal twin cab a few years back when my dad had his HiLux. I used it for towing my boat and mini diggers. It was good but thirsty, the engine ran faster than the Toyota in all gears although the Mitsubishi had more power.

I reckon you're right about the fuel economy, all 4x4s are thirsty and I will just live with it. I had an old 3.0 V6 petrol Shogun recently and I didn't find it too bad on fuel. She returned around 22mpg and I thought that was awesome considering her power. Diesel Shoguns commanded about another £1000 at the time but only gave 2-4mpg more so not really worth it. Especially as I only had her 12 months then swapped her for a baler.

15. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

Those Navaras have a very bad reputation. They look great and the finish/gadgets inside the cab are second to none. My sister had one for her horse box trailer but had nothing but hassle with it and I know of two other owners who had serious and minor grief from them.

The Terrano is going up and up in my estimation. Every owner seems to have no regrets about having one.

Where did you do 200k in your Patrol.?

16. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I do love our Terrano despite the problems with that one MOT, but she cost a small fortune to get it through because of the bloody tinworm and unfortunately we had to get it "sorted" as we hadn't long bought it and would have had to write off too much money to scrap her. Would I buy another one? Well, um, probably but I would do a far more careful check this time and it would have to be one of the last year/models Nissan made. People who have them love them and people who don't are wary of buying them. Some say they're plain or ugly looking and have no "style", but I think they actually look great. A bit more narrow than your average 4x4 probably, but still plenty of room and no real "wallow" on the tight bends/roundabouts, unlike some Landy's where your arse is scraping the floor on the twisty's lol :D.

I'm only half joking. I do really like the looks of the Discovery and even the Freelander myself, but high prices for an "old un", poor reliability etc would put me off......Or maybe not if it was the BMW/Alpha Romeo diesel (TD Series).

Only other thing with "our" Terrano is that because of the dreaded tinworm, things keep falling off her :susp:. First year the passenger step decided to part company and this weekend the drivers side step decided to fall off in sympathy with the other side :shrug:after my G/F's, ahem "fat" friend used it, so now I have no step to ease my 15 stone into it either lol :lol:

Me and the G/F have competitions to guess which bit will fall off next :confuzed:

17. coney

coney Engaging Member

Tinman...I had a chemical business in the nineties,delivered stuff from Scotland to Southampton, eventually was doing 150,000miles a yr, so the Patrol became impracticable juice wise.

18. the ratcher

the ratcher Engaging Member

Hi James I owned a SWB GR 4.2 for 5 years and did all the maintenance myself they are easy to work on very reliable. Other than regular oil changes every 6000 miles and a set of new tyres the only thing it had to have was new brake pipes disks and pads.
    In the real world don't expect more than 23 mpg.
    Also check the sills and the chassis over and behind the rear axel for the dreaded tin worm the reason mine had to be broken for spares. atb Randal

19. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Hmm, I wouldn't be to sure James lol. I just took ours in yesterday for a water leak that should have been dealt with 2 months ago. Instead I've just been regularly topping the rad itself up, that's how fast she was losing water. Water pump needs replacing £70 new and £80 labour, so a nice little £150 coming up. That wouldn't have been quite so bad if he hadn't told me that while up on the ramp/lift checking for leaks, he noticed that both steering arms are knackered, dangerous and one has more or less broken away from it's holding position on the chassis :mad:. It was only MOT'd 2 months ago ffs! How did it get passed that? I knew the steering had play in it and I admit that at MOT time it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it is right now, but still. It has to be done and no choice. Too risky to drive it like that so we're probably looking at £350 - £450 for that and the water pump all in :eek:.

Myself I think that starting shooting again 6 weeks ago and driving up my mates rough farm road with quite a few bad potholes has buggered it up :rolleyes:. He also said that despite that extensive welding needed the previous year to get it through the MOT (£600!!!!), she's still pretty rusty underneath here and there. Only good thing under there is the exhaust and the chassis. Bummer, we bought a dud. I insure and tax it and the girlfriend takes care of MOT's, maintenence and repairs. She with the money is not amused and I'm in the doghouse as I chose it and wanted it LOL :D.

Combine all this with the two steps simply deciding to fall off within 1 year, bubbling rusty front wing arches, (a Terrano trademark) and a few other things I have forgotten about, (or would prefer to) and we have a disaster in the making :rolleyes:.

It would have been far cheaper to buy a mountain bike lol, then again, I wouldn't have looked like a true country type shooter with my rifle on a bike and without a 4x4 would I :D.

My advice. If you ever even consider buying a Terrano, think VERY VERY carefully about it and go over it with a fine toothcomb ALL over before handing over any cash. I have changed my mind since the post I made back up there ^^^^^^, I would never buy another ******* Nissan Terrano no matter what lol. :down:

Aww, I do love her though and she'll be feeling much better soon :p;):D.

If you can't afford to put 40,000 miles on a brand new Landrover Defender as my farming mate does every 2 years and then ditch it for another brand new one, (I certainly can't) the only way for good second hand reliability is TOYOTA TOYOTA TOYOTA in my opinion :p. I had a Toyota Celica 2ltr GT Gen 6 and we abused it by not servicing the poor thing in 3 years. It never used any oil worth a mention in all that time, never broke down or failed to start, passed all 3 MOT's we put it through for less than £150 quid and we still got £550 for it when we sold it 3 years later as a PERFECT runner with loads of MOT left! I would have another Toyota anytime, but this time, one of their 4x4's :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  20. Baldrick

Baldrick Newbie

Have you broken the land rover again ?