1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Scopes Nikon Prostaff BDC reticle calibration.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Hunter 001, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

Just spent the day playing with my newly acquired Nikon Prostaff BDC reticle 3-9x40 scope.
    I have tried to find different aim points at different ranges.
    This is non AO scope and it was reparallaxed at 35 yard.

Setup.
    Rifle: HW100ks .177
    Power average 777 fps
    Pellets AA Diabolo Field 4.52
    Zero: 30 yard ( near zero 15 yard )
    Scope hight: 1.6 inch
    Magnification: x7
    Red dot represent holdover.
    All shooting took place outdoor with wind speed average 8 MPH and slight rain.
    Results
    1- at 35 and 12.6 yards just above first circle
    2- at 40 and 11 yards middle of first circle
    3- at 45 and 9.5 yards top of second circle
    4- at 50 and 8.5 yard upper third of second circle.

See pictures below.

I would be interested to hear from people who have used BDC reticle.
    How you find BDC reticle, what magnification you use?

Attached Files:

2. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

Seems nobody using Nikon scopes. 41 view and no single comment.

3. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Plenty guys here - myself included - use the ProStaff with the BDC ret. Top glass :up:

4. 177

177 Donator

Patience...

I'm not sure what you're asking for other than general feedback.

I have a couple of the 3-9x40 BDC Prostaff scopes.

One of them is on an HW80 in a BLK mount. It's in .22 though, so there are no direct comparisons to your trajectory. I find that with a 14.5 grain pellet each of the circles is more or less bang on at 5 yard intervals with a 30 yard cross hair zero.

So basically I go from a 30 yard zero and each of the circles is just about bang on at 35, 40, 45 and 50.

I have a plan to put one on a .177 spring air rifle soon and see what I can get out of it.

IMHO they're the best scope in their price bracket by a country mile, and they're the best glass even at a much, much higher price bracket.

The trick to using the BDC is not only to find a distance that works for you, but to select a pellet of the right weight and ballistic coefficient to tie in the with BDC aim points.

You can nip and tuck your rig like this by matching the right pellet to your gun's power, to coincide with the aim points, or you can learn how to use them with any pellet you like.

I usually leave mine on 5x and never touch the zoom thereafter.

Great scopes.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  5. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

Thanks. I wanted to know how other users find BDC reticle. I have tried to use it with lower magnifications but with .177 aim points where getting very close especially between 40-45 yards. But it is great compact light scope and very simple which is ideal for hunting. I don't think there is another scope which can give several aim points at x7 magnification.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  6. alb38

alb38 Engaging Member

just seen the thread Hunter, our lass bought us both one for xmas and as yet not used. both will be on springers
    and will need to be re-parallaxed. Did you alter yours yourself? I think I know the procedure for re-parallaxing
    a prostaff, thanks to this great forum. we just need to get down to the range to sort them. Thanks for your info though, appreciated:up:

7. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

I hope you find my post helpful. When I got mine it was already re- parallaxed at 35 yards.

8. alb38

alb38 Engaging Member

when I asked about re- parallaxing a Prostaff, I got this great reply from "Cloverleaf" :-

Yes, you need to reparallax them. Yes they will parallax down to about 35 yards - about optimum to be honest.

SIMPLE. On the front you will see there is a protection ring, with PROSTAFF on it in gold. The engraved line just behind the wording is NOT where the ring comes off, that is merely a decorative groove! So when you are gripping the ring you don't have to just hold the very front portion, there is a bit more to get hold of.

Best done OUT of the gun, BUT if you are lucky the front protective ring won't be too tight or glued too strongly - try it first to see, some people have reported the ability to remove the ring with just finger tightness. If it is too tight to just unscrew, then try heating JUST THE FRONT PORTION of the main tube (NOT THE FRONT RING) boil the kettle and run adribble of hot water over the tube close to the front but not over where the ring is going to come off - the main tube will expand a little and the idea is that the front ring doesn't - if you pour hot water on it it will all expand the same together. With the main tube a tiny fraction bigger than the front ring, through the expansion, and the glue softened by the warmth - unscrew the front ring! A rubber grip used to undo tight jam jar lids is sometimes a help.

With the front cover off, you can now get at the front group of elements. They move as a set. You will see in the threaded carrier two litle slots opposite each other on the rim - where you can put a tool to help turn the lens carrier OUTWARDS (anticlockwise). This is when you have to be careful - firstly not to scratch the glass with the tool, secondly to not turn it out too far and lose the nitrogen purging. You are fine to turn it out one full turn, then go easy - for 35 yards you might need 1.5 turns (I can't remember!!), so do 1 turn and at full magnification look through and see roughly where it is focussed. If it not quite there, then do 1/4 turn and look again....then the next 1/4 turn if it needs it.

At full magnification the target focus is more critical, and so you can see the effect better. When shooting, at 6x (my preference) you will find the focus is less fussy and you will be able to see happily to place a shot from about 15 feet - 50 yards. The near and far distances won't be pin sharp, but good enough to get a shot away. The lower the magnification, the greater the range of focussed objects (ability to shoot closer) so when ratting at close range, turn the magnification DOWN to 3x or 4x - you will find the target faster too!

9. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

Thanks alb38 for this detailed guide.

10. metalman

metalman Big Poster

Without being too techy, my HW 100 K/S .177 on 6x using JSB Express, zeroed at 30 yds,
    Top of first circle-40 yds
    middle- 45yds
    bottom-50yds
    halfway between 1st and second-55/10yds
    middle of second-60yds

11. martin22

martin22 Donator

my .22 shooting at 11.3 with jsb jumbo express 5.52/14.88gr ,scope set on x9 and zeroed at 30y with bkl medium height mounts each aim point is 5y holdover,the gap between the 3rd dot and 4th is 50y (if you imagine theres another dot there)but i havnt shot any further than that yet
    the exact same aim points work on my lads lightning too with the same pellets

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  12. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

Thanks for this. JSB exact express is 7.9 grain vs AA which is 8.4 grain
    I am surprised that little wait and magnification difference can cause much change.

13. metalman

metalman Big Poster

Run it over the chrono today, average 799

14. lurchermann

lurchermann Busy Member

I had one in 3-9x50 great optics I just couldn't get on with the bdc rect got a bushnell legend now n hiting little spiners at 60 yards easy at 1 mildot lol thay are nice scopes tho

15. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

At first I couldn't get one with BCD reticle and was thinking about selling the scope but with some practice it is proved to offer more aim point than a half Mil Dot scope.

16. HWnut

HWnut Busy Member

I have a Nikon but not with BDC reticle. Mine is the AO Prostaff with Precision reticle. It doesn't have all the fancy mil dots and rings but it's still a good scope for airguns.

17. JD

JD Donator

As it's a glass ecthed reticle,

Why didn't Nikon put a dot inside each circle,

18. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

The idea is to be able to see the target through the circle.

19. JD

JD Donator

A small dot wouldn't obscure your target and would give more aim points.

When Nikon come round to fitting a fairly fine mil dot ret, or mutli aim point to their scopes, I'm buying a 4x32 or 2-7x32 for sure.

Sorry but this one looks odd.

20. 177

177 Donator

It might be a culture shock but they're amazingly flexible.

You can centre your target into the centre of the BDC circle. You can also use the top or bottom of each circle where it bisects the vertical as a miniature cross hair so, in effect, each of the circle markers has several aim points associated with it. You can't do that with a mil dot or solid dot BDC

It's not for everyone but if you get your head around it you wouldn't wish for anything else.

I agree that if Nikon ever produce a little mil dot Prostaff they'll have a winner for air rifle shooters across the board but, for me, the circles offer far more than any standard mil dot or BDC dot I've ever used.