1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Night vision.

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by kermitboy1, Sep 6, 2014.

1. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

Well I tried a laser pointer as some of you know, and the results were just not what I wanted for night shooting. So today I have taken the plunge in to 'NV'. I have purchased a 'Yukon Elexon' monocular. And I have to say its bloody fantastic. This thing turns night in to day, and is going to be ideal for out to 100 yds.

I have just been with the dogs for their last walk of the day, and I took the Yukon along. Baring in mind that there is a shallow mist forming and the moon is out, this thing is stunning. Its so simple to use, and really feels good to the touch. Very solid sturdy bit of kit, and best of all, fits in the pocket when not in use.

All being well, my intensions are to use it as a spotting device, and then use the lamp set up, which I can alternate between my various rifles.

The image is so clear out to 100yds, and apparently on pitch black nights the image will become stronger. I have to say upon first impressions, I am really pleased with my purchase. The proof will come Monday night, all being well. Just got to get my head around calculating the distances once viewed through the night vis. Will be sure to report back with how I get on. KB1:matt:

2. just off centre

just off centre Busy Member

Looking forward to the results mate.

ATB

3. rabbitraider1

rabbitraider1 Engaging Member

How do you find the focus on it? I don't have the same model I have a yukon 5x60 and before I realised how fussy it was on the ocular focusing I was considering lighting it on fire and using the flames to try and pick out rabbits because it beat the green haze that couldn't spot a bush 10m away :p
    Now I love it and feel quite to fool

4. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Where did you buy it from Si and how much?

I'm looking for a NV monocular.

5. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

I take your point, but I read the instructions to the letter. First I focused the eye optical out to 100yds, then that's sorted. That can be left alone then. And then like you say, its just a case of focusing on the target in question. I have to say, once focused the image is outstanding. I am really pleased. KB1

6. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

I got it from 'The Amozon', I went for the 3x50 but they also do the 4x50. The best price I could find was £228 but I ended up paying £248 because the cheaper site did not fill me with confidence. And the price included delivery within 24hrs. Mate the build quality is really good. As soon as you pick it up, you can tell that its going to be nice to use. Plus it comes with a three year cover for defects.

One thing I will point out, is that you must read the instructions front to back before using, otherwise it would be very easy to damage the thing through using it incorrectly . But, the instructions are really easy to follow once read. I am really excited with it. Just hope that I can work out the distances of things that I am looking at. Probably best to have a good walk around the intended area in day light and put out some markers when first using, I would imagine. But its a real neat bit of kit. KB1 View attachment 103279 View attachment 103280 View attachment 103281

7. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned BANNED

I think thats the same as mine but iv only used it a couple of times ..it is good but I just find its another thing to carry atb

8. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

I take your point, but my drag bag is so bloody massive, I wont notice that bit of extra weight. I really like the idea of being able to see the rabbits around me on those dark winter afternoons, and not just hearing them mowing the grass instead, and consequently having to guess where and when to light them up with some lamp.

As yet I have only used it on some narrow foot paths, so it will be good trying it out in some open pastures. I don't shoot on Sunday's, but I think I might just wander up to one of my permissions tonight, and wave it about to see what an open field image will appear like. KB1

9. themadspread

themadspread Donator

make sure you keep us posted ive been thinking about one myself

10. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

Right, second night out with my 'Yukon Night Vis Monocular' and I have to say, I really like this.

Once you get use to the initial set up of the eye piece, and leave it well alone. Its then just a case of focusing on the area that you are interested in viewing. There are no annoying clicks from any of the buttons or controls and the main focus turns very smoothly.

The unit comes with its own fitted image intensifier, which I have to say has worked very well indeed. However, should the user require to, there are two options for adding a bigger more powerful I/I that can be purchased separately. With the moon out and being as clear as it is tonight, it is indeed not absolutely the requirement to even have the I/I switched on. The image is indeed still very good in that mode.

I have to say that I purchased this item with a view to only using it with my air rifles, but having given it some use in the last two evenings, I feel very confident that it could equally prove very useful out to the ranges of my 17HMR. My labs at 180 yds show up very well, with the eyes really looking bright, and you get a perfect view of the dogs in the way of a black dog outline. The biggest test is going to come from me working out the distances from viewing through the night vis and then moving over to the rifle for the shot. But like I said last night, once you have an idea of various areas of your permission and distances involved that should not be a problem. The very fact that the monocular is only working at 3x mag is probably a good thing. It just takes some getting use to looking through a lens in the dark, and then seeing an image which shows everything going on around you. Its a strange thing, when you first try it.

Along with the instructions, which are very easy to follow, you also get a slip of paper explaining about image quality and what to expect in various situations. So in conclusion, I have to say that I am very happy with my purchase, and I think that it will really improve the shooting opportunities that come with those cold dark winter afternoons.

Hope this has gone someway to giving some helpful tips to anyone thinking of making a similar purchase. Just give it time to learn the initial set up and focus procedures, and this things will really impress you. Cheers KB1

11. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

Got to grips with my hand held night vis last night whilst on the airfield. Total darkness and it worked great. With the I/I switched on, I got a tell tale red glint from the rabbits eye giving away their location without them having a clue of my intentions. Was then able to aim at that very point and with a quick flash of light from my gun mounted lamp, the shots all resulted in good clean kills. Love it. Works really well and seems to have good battery life to. Just need to be steady with those focus buttons. KB1