1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Newbie: what rifle to buy!?!?!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Mattie76, May 9, 2012.

1. Mattie76

Mattie76 Newbie

Hi,

Im looking to buy my first rifle.. I had one on a long term loan quite a few years ago but i am due to move to a small holding and will be using it for pest control and general target shooting (cans/bottles). As I am not confident to even try bunnies etc.. I have two rifles in mind and would like to know peoples opinions on each of them.

BSA Meteor Mk7 or a Crosman Phantom both .22
    i would also like some advice on a beginners scope for either gun and the best pellets...

Thanks

Matt

2. butch

butch Busy Member

Get the HW95k better than them 2 put together

3. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

As above. Try for a quality rifle like the Hw95k. It blows the two you've listed out of the water in terms of power and quality.

4. Bolor

Bolor Banned

The meteor and crosman arent too good im afraid, gamo are wortha look if your on a budget, bsa supersport or a weihrauch 99 are fairly cheap as well.

5. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

The two schools of thought that prevail in these parts is either Weihrauch or Air Arms.

Do you prefer the underlever or break barrel cocking method?

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  6. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

My vote for a Weihrauch.....try the HW57

7. The Dark Defender

The Dark Defender Well-Known Member

Go for the Weihrauch hw95k thats what i have you cant go wrong with that.

8. theobencarbine88

theobencarbine88 Post Whore

Dont know if your plannng on buying the 2 stated rifles from new but i would seriously consider doing a little searching through 2nd hand rifles sites such as: www.gunstar.co.uk or on here. I can only say great things of Weihrauchs but other bargain quality rifles can be found. A good cheap begginer scope i would say possibly - Nikko Sterling mountmaster ... Search on ebay prices start under £20 from new. Regarding pellets - RWS Superdomes ... A great quality all round target/hunting pellet at reasonable price.

9. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

The BSA is a better quality gun than the crosman, so if its only between them two then go for the BSA, but as basically everyone above has said, go for a good quality rifle and it will last you for life, and will be reliable enough to use on bunnies when you have had some practice and get more confident.
    Air arm or Weihrauch are your 2 best bets if you are after a springer.
    You should really hold and shoulder the ones your interested, its not until you hold a crosman and then hold a weihrauch when you feel the difference in quality.

As to a good quality starter scope, get a hawke sport HD mil dot. Cheep scope, but excellent value, especially for under £100 new.
    As to pellets it all depends on the gun you choose, but try a tin of rws super dome, there a good all round pellet.

10. hypoboy

hypoboy Well-Known Member

Got to love the way that on every forum, someone asks should I buy £X gun and the answer's always no, buy something for £X*2 :D

The Meteor's not a bad little rifle, can be picked up cheaply and, in good order, perfectly capable of being used on rabbits. I probably wouldn't rush out to buy a new one, but you can pick them up in good order around the £100 mark, which I think is good value for money.

11. DaveC_24

DaveC_24 Busy Member

I agree with the above. I have a Meteor Mk.6 and it's a lovely little rifle, a good plinking rifle and powerful enough for pest-control too. It's not as powerful as the Meteor Mk.7, but is also a little cheaper. That said, were I to be making the decision of which rifle to buy in that sort of price range - especially if buying new - I would seriously consider shelling out the extra for something properly decent.

I bought a BSA Lightning new at the start of the year, and wish I'd had that thought sooner; it isn't built badly and isn't falling to bits, but it recoils so severely as to render it inaccurate at anything above about 20 yards. With hindsight, I wish I'd spent another £50-100 and got a Weihrauch, or got one second-hand for a similar price to a new Lightning. Of course, a second-hand Meteor would cost a lot less and would still be a nice rifle for the money if you don't want to shell out for a more expensive rifle.

12. joe_zef87

joe_zef87 Engaging Member

Think of it this way. If you decide 6 months down the line that the rifle isnt getting used as much as you'd hoped and the hobby isnt for you, a weihrauch or air arms will hold their value far better than a less popular brand. If you can afford to fork out the extra for a reliable gun then go for it. I wouldnt advise spending over the odds on a gun if you arent even familiar with the sport yet. thats just me though! ;)

13. guyver

guyver Busy Member

smk b2

14. Mattie76

Mattie76 Newbie

Thanks for all the advice, I have done some searching and have had a good look at the HW95, what's the differences between the HW95 and the HW95K? Also what sort of price should I be expected to pay for a decent 2nd hand HW95?

15. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

KW95K is exactly the same as the HW95, except K means its a carbine, so its slightly shorter and lighter (not sure on the exact numbers but you could check out the weihrauch website, that will probably have them on).
    And the price varies depending on age and condition and if it is standard or not, you would be best looking for a v-mached one, but you would be looking around the £200 region for a decent one, a bit more if it is v-mached and well looked after.

16. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

Just had a quick look about and found the info:
    The HW95K has a 12.5" barrel (310mm) with either a fixed barrel weight on a screw on 1/2 unf silencer.
    The HW95 has a longer 16" barrel and comes with either a barrel weight or open sights but no silencer.

17. WebleyExcel

WebleyExcel Junior Member

I aggree weihrauch are better rifles but you cant go wrong with BSA and Webleys, for general pest control, i picked up my Webley excel ( First Rifle ) killed loads of bunnies ect with it and my Webley Longbow is my newest rifle, I've only spent 250 pound on both rifles.

18. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

Webley and BSA are both great makes, but there newest rifles just aren't as good a quality or build as there originals.
    The UK Made ones tend to be excellent quality and build, but now there built for cheaper in Egypt or somewhere.

19. WebleyExcel

WebleyExcel Junior Member

Yeah forgot to say make sure you get one thats made in the UK, both my webleys were made in Birmingham :D

20. keeprightontilltheendoftheroad

keeprightontilltheendoftheroad Big Poster

Current production for Spring guns for BSA made by Gamo in Spain, Webley spring guns made by Hatsan in Turkey.