1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question Newbie wanting gun advise

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by 2scoops, Mar 11, 2012.

1. 2scoops

2scoops Newbie

Hi all, looking for a bit of advise here.
    I have joined a club and will be using the range a fair amount,however friends I will be shooting with are keen to go participate in pest control. They are experianced but have not been shooting for about 5 years. What im seeking info on is whether its better to go for a starter set up or go for a HW100 or Huntsman clasic type gun straight away. I dont really want to spend a few hundred only to wish that i should have gone for somthing real decent in the first place.

As I will be doing a bit of both and the club is really pushing that we participate in the comps what would be a ' best of both worlds' gun.

As a newbie i take it .177 would be the way to go

2. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

If you want to compete and hunt then .177 is certainly your best bet. Don't underestimate the difficulty in finding land to hunt on. It's usually cheaper to buy once than twice and the HW100 is a as good at targets as hunting with an excellent single shot adapter.

3. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Right get gun, either one you have suggested have single shot adaptors and are very good at target or hunting (having used both I can say that)! .177 better for target! Now remember not only gun (£800 odd to start with) you are going to need a charging system, £150 odd for either bottle or pump, a scope, allow £150 get a decent scope, a slip, £20, some pellets and some insurance. It is expensive starting out, many people start out with a much cheaper gun and trade their way up, so have a look for something like an S200 as well, have a play with one of those, half the cost (new much less secondhand) and exceptionally good for such a cheap gun!

I recommend the S200 in .177, cracking little rifle many people have one and take it out in preference to much more expensive and allegedly better guns in their collections. They did have a target shooting version called a T200 with fully adjustable stock, cheek piece etc, so could be worth looking out!

Then get down that club and practise like a demon, get used to shooting the rifle and when you can put all 10 shots in a group that is under 25mm across it is time to look at hunting. First get some insurance, if you (heaven forbid) shoot someone by accident, their dog, prize Hereford bull, champion Dobbin the Wonder Donkey etc, it can get darned expensive for you. So look at some insurance there are policies run by everybody from BASA (cheap, basic, no frills knickers only type) to BASC (expensive, fur lined knicker jobs with mores extras than a Harley catalogue)! Take out a policy and wait for the paperwork to come through.

In the meantime google everything. look for Growers, Farmers, Paddocks and Livery Yards, Golf Courses, Hotels, Stately Homes, anything which is going to have a lot of land and an opportunity for vermin shooting. You may get lucky like me and find permissions that allow the shooting of game birds in season, doubtful but it does happen. Get on the phone, email, letters, swamp everything but keep a damned list. I have a list, showing those I have applied to and 1) no replies 2) answers that said no 3) answers that said yes and 4) answers that said please call back.

Do not give up, learn the species, learn what they look like, assure them you will not be plugging the Gardener/Prize Winning Hereford Bull/Dobbin the £2,000,000 wonder donkey/the pheasant shoot they are rearing for the chinless oiks with the Purdys and Berettas/their pet chickens etc. Tell them about the hours you put in target shooting, how accurate you are, the fact you have insurance details you can leave with them, someone will say yes (eventually)! Then if they are anything like my permissions cheekily ask if they can have the odd rabbit/brace of pigeons/pheasant!