1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie - Looking For Suggestions To Rid Of Crows

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by silverbullet, Oct 27, 2019.

1. silverbullet

silverbullet Member

Hello Everyone

I'm having lots of problems with huge black crows, they are destroying the cars near where I live, so far they have pecked all the rubber from my glass roof and I've had it costed to replaced at over £1000, they have also destroyed my wipers (I'm on my 4th set now), on my sons car they have attacked the wipers and also started around the seals on the windows, my wife has just got a new one and I'm trying to keep them off my constantly watching for them but it's become a daily struggle.

I've tried making a scarecrow, using an owl to deter them but nothing is stopping them (theres only a few that keep going on the cars)

So I need suggestions please for a rifle with a scope, I'm totally new to this so would have to practice lots before using for real

Has anyone any suggestions on what models to go for?

Cheers

2. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

you cant shoot them just because they damage your car

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  3. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

If you're in the UK I'm afraid shooting them for damaging cars is illegal under the terms of the General Licences issued by NE and DEFRA.

4. silverbullet

silverbullet Member

Are they protected?

The council have said to me they cannot help and "to take matters into my own hands", not sure if that means by trap, deter or death.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  5. silverbullet

silverbullet Member

So is shooting them for any other reason legal? such as attacking people as such?

6. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

Afraid not. They can be shot for crop protection, livestock protection and to protect flora and fauna. They are the only legal circumstances. Any other reasons may be possible but you would have to apply for an individual licence specifically for those circumstances and you would need to supply proof that there is a problem.

WR14210 and rabbitwrecker like this.
  7. MartinJGUK

MartinJGUK NottsPestControl

All birds are protected, the general licence only lets you take lethal action to protect crops/livestock etc if all other methods have been exhausted or are impractical. You can’t shoot them because they are pecking rubber off a car

WR14210 and rabbitwrecker like this.
  8. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

nope...they can only be controlled for protecting livestock and crops... the law changed recently

9. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

all wild birds are protected

10. BarryA

BarryA Guest

All wild birds in the UK are protected under the wildlife and countryside act. A so called 'pest list' (including crows) was deleted from the act back in 1994 (ish). Now to control pest species you need to use the general licenses and, as already stated, this doesn't cover shooting them for damaging your car. The licence for public health and safety actually contains the following limitation:
    This licence permits action only for the purposes specified in “What this licence permits”. You may not use it to prevent damage to other forms of property (such as damage to houses or cars) or to prevent nuisance (such as excessive noise)...
    Cheers
    Barry

11. silverbullet

silverbullet Member

ok thanks guys, so has anyone suggestions on how to rid of them (without shooting them)

I cannot bait poison as there is dog walkers that use the area, my next step would be to fix rat traps to the car roof

It's been on-going for 8 months this now

12. BarryA

BarryA Guest

THEY ARE PROTECTED. This includes all means of killing or injuring. Put a cover on your car.

13. silverbullet

silverbullet Member

ok thanks for all your help and advice guys

14. talyllyn

talyllyn Posting Addict

There would probably be safety issues with shooting them anyway.
    You can only shoot where you have permission from the landowner and where you can be sure that no pellets leave that area.

"council have said to me they cannot help and "to take matters into my own hands" " this does not allow shooting in the road!!

rabbitwrecker and monsta41 like this.
  15. Brandon James

Brandon James Brano

Mentioning using poison to kill birds suggests to me that you've done no research whatsoever regards the law.
    Totally illegal and irresponsible to poison birds or anything other than rodents under strict guidelines.

MartinJGUK and rabbitwrecker like this.
  16. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Apart from the legal side of things, you can’t walk around a public place with an air rifle taking pot shots at crows.

:)

17. hamza

hamza breaking strain of a kit kat

Where I work they use a falcon to good effect.

I’d recommend calling a local pest control company to see if they can come round with one. Seems to keep most birds away for quite a while once it’s been there for a day.

TR158 and rabbitwrecker like this.
  18. ljgolf

ljgolf Engaging Member

i use a pistol not loaded ,when i see a crow or magpie ,just fire it blank .it dos the trick ,but where are your cars parked.hope not on the road .good look

19. silverbullet

silverbullet Member

Fair enough guys, I think I've established that I can't "Kill, Shoot, Poison, Harm, Injure, Trap, Bait, Capture" and walk around shooting things like I'm in an action movie hence why I asked the question in the first place! thinking of doing things and implementing are two different things which is the reason I came on here to ask as many of you will know the law far better than me without me going through several webpages to get the answer I'm looking for.

All I've done is buy a scarecrow and fake owl which have so far have failed!, buying a cover for the car isn't an option nor is selling my car/s and taking up walking, it's just really annoying and at the moment going to cost me a lot of money which I'm sure alot of you would be upset about.

Thanks for all your advice, lets hope they fall out of their trees to their death very soon.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    TR158 and Readie like this.
  20. Rudolph Hucker

Rudolph Hucker Posting Addict

From what you've said, I think I'd try some sort of car cover. Maybe with something like bamboo canes underneath to hold the cover up slightly. That should make it tricky for the crows to land on.

Depending on where you're parked and how public it is, you could try throwing crow scares out there.

Again, dependant on the situation, you could apply for a license to shoot the troublesome ones - they can only say no.