1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Fly Fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Readie, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Readie

Readie Proud Member

My wife works for the John Lewis Partnership who own a section of the River Test.

We went on a beginners day last week, fly fishing the lakes there.

Really good fun and we intend to go again.

We caught a brown and rainbow each.

Our instructor only had time to show us casting techniques in the limited time.

Any advice on equipment went in one ear and out the other.

We bought an entry level rod, a 9' Sigma and now need to buy lots of shiny new bits.

On Amazon there are loads of books but can anyone recommend any, also someone said "match the hatch" but there seems to be a number with that title.

I don't know the difference between a dry, wet or even moist fly....

We did go to a shop in Stockbridge who scoffed at our rod and wanted to sell us a £200 rod or so but we're not there yet. They won't be seeing us again.

Thanks guys

pbrown and That hurts like this.
  2. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Leckford Estate at Longstock ... lovely and never fished it but have walked it as my mum worked for the JLP in Bracknell. Have a look at books by John Symonds on learning to cast and improving as a fluff checker :up:

If you need some files, give me a shout and I'll send you a selection ... mostly wets, but will see what I've got hanging about.

3. Readie

Readie Proud Member

That's it.

I can't tell you the prices we pay or id have to kill you.

Let's just say very good for the best river in the world.

Thanks for offer

That hurts likes this.
  4. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

If you want a good place to buy kit, get down to Sportfish in Theale as they have a very good selection and very knowledgeable staff ... https://www.gamefishingcentre.co.uk

Readie likes this.
  5. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

They're very favourable compared to the prices that the likes of Houghton want, even if they'd talk to you in the first place :confused:

If you're visiting Leckford again, go and have lunch at the Mayfly and look at some of the lumps in the water taking bread that people chuck in :)

shauny likes this.
  6. Readie

Readie Proud Member

Yes we know it well, my wife works at Longstock house.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    That hurts likes this.
  7. shauny

shauny Top Poster

did you have a look in the river at stockbridge,? last time i was through there,there were people feeding what i thought
    were ducks.but they were in fact a few monster brown trout!! nearly jumped in.if you you not sure which flies to use,
    just go online and look for best flies for (which ever month it is),a few places sell specific for month and type(river or still)
    takes a bit of guess work out of it.

8. Readie

Readie Proud Member

Thanks Shauny, good tip.
    Yes, it's like That Hurts said about the pub which is about 3 miles from there.

They've learned where to be for free food from Joe Public

That hurts and shauny like this.
  9. Hopalong

Hopalong Busy Member

I've just started my 52'nd year of fishing and the snobbery at times is unbelievable, I've never owned a Hardy rod or reel, I have only ever bought, Diawa, ABU, Wychwood, Mitchell and one or two other manufacturers, for me, I cannot see the reason to spend a whole heap of money on something that doesn't do what I can do with a lesser budget option. I'm totally self taught and that even goes down to fly tying. Join a few fishing forums, like flyfishingforum, there are others and the advice given will like this forum, will be honest and very helpful. Fly fishing can be as easy or as complicated as you want it to be, as with anything, learn the basics and go from there. Instead of getting frustrated by try to cast a mile right away, get the action right at the beginning and distance, shall you need it, will become second nature, you don't have to cast to the moon to catch fish. Enjoy the sport as it is, the outdoors, flora, fauna, surroundings, the sound of the water, birds and your environment. If everyone caught fish at every visit to the riverbank, it would be called catching and not fishing.

The majority of anglers, like shooters, will be very will to give advice and guide you in the right direction, it's in our nature to tell you how good we are, what we've done, caught, lost and everytime, it's been fun, enjoy it and don't get too serious, or you won't enjoy it.

pjgtech, ratman60, pbrown and 2 others like this.
  10. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

An admission is that I may have once tried to poach the section upriver of the Mayfly, but the kicker is that I blanked as didn't have any sarnies with me :oops:

11. Readie

Readie Proud Member

Yep, a "mate" tried it as a youngster too, line around a coke tin......

That hurts likes this.
  12. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Hmmm ... I was allegedly using a Winston brook rod and all top gear, but made no difference ! My penchant for the best (read expensive) gear ended when on a trip to Alaska where the locals were doing better with bloody beachcasters with a bit of mono tied to the top ring :eek:

foxtrott likes this.
  13. Readie

Readie Proud Member

My "mate" thought it best to have something disposable in case of a chase.

That was about 45 years ago I think

That hurts likes this.
  14. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

When you decide if you're going to keep fly fishing up, go and have a mooch around Dever Springs and the Avington fisheries :up:

Readie likes this.
  15. Nubble

Nubble Donator

One book I think is very handy if you are learning and is not too expensive is John Goddards Waterside Guide. That will help you to identify what 'the hatch' is or what the fish may be taking if there is 'no hatch'

It explains the 4 or 5 main 'insect groups' (invertibrates, terrestrial, etc) you are likely to encounter (as a fly fisherman) and details each type, how they move, how they look, their life cycle and more importantly when they are active. It also offers suggestions on fly choice and is fairly well illustrated for a small book.

I't's a bit hard going in some places but the book can be tackled a bit at a time if you want to read it from cover to cover. What is handy is toward the back of the book is an easy reference chart showing when each 'fly' is active.

Another good one is My way with the Nymph by Gordon Frazer, it's an older book but explains well how to fish a nymph and how a lot of his patterns are very basic.

Fly choice tends to be governed either by the venues you fish or the type of fly fishing you prefer. Lures/wet/dry/nymph etc. All of mine I tie myself and are generally very simple. They vary in colour, size and profile bit do not replicate anything in particular.

It is possible to buy half a dozen different patterns in a couple of sizes that will work at most times of the year.

I could go on.. but will stop there.
    Ps. Your rod is just fine for now and don't let anyone else tell you different. I have rods ranging from 20 quid to 500 quid and the 20 quid ones still do the job.
    Once you have learnt the basics of casting you can then decide what style of fly fishing you wish to do, or what venue, then you can decide on which type of rod suits best the application. There is not really one do-it-all fly rod which means that you can build up a nice collection of them! ;) And yes I have too many.

Hope that helps.
    :thumb:

pjgtech and Readie like this.
  16. pjgtech

pjgtech If the Enemy is in range, so are You!

Enjoy it, I need to go fly fishing again, have not been for couple of years, used to go to Albury near Guildford, lovely place, and also Bewl Water in Kent.... :thumb:

Best starter setup is one rod, two reels (or one reel with two spools), one spool setup with sinking line and one with floating line.
    You can buy a selection of flies, few mayflies, buzzers, daddies, nymphs, boobies and damsels will get you going.

Readie likes this.
  17. pbrown

pbrown Bunghole

Hello from another fluff flinger :up:

The rivers can get a bit snobby, still waters not at all and another vote for Sportsfish at Theale who are not up their own arses.

Best money I ever spent on fly fishing was on casting lessons, invaluable.

Readie likes this.
  18. keithy

keithy Posting Addict

your rod is fine the fish wont mind that it is a cheap one. One major tip for dry fly fishing dont let the wind/current drag the fly across the surface it MUST move at exact!y the same pace as the current or the trout will ignore it. On a river this may be only possible for a few seconds, not a problem if in this time it is going over your target trout.:thumb:

Readie likes this.
  19. Readie

Readie Proud Member

Thank you everyone for all your good advice.
    It's good to get it from "mates" who don't want to flog you loads of stuff.

I'll invest in a book or two and we can practice down the park in the next week or two.

We have access to the river Test but will stick with the lakes to start with.

Thanks again everyone.

:up:

That hurts likes this.
  20. tymawr

tymawr Engaging Member

Best advice I can give after 50years of fishing ... Course and Fly ... is
    Dont worry about the gear/flys ... just enjoy the moment and if you catch thats a bonus .... Tight lines :thumb:

Oh and edit ..... Every one was a beginner at one time so take no notice of the snobs!