1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Advice!!!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by steelman100, Jul 3, 2012.

1. steelman100

steelman100 Member

Howdy Folks!!!
    I am a newbie to the world of Airguns and know less then nothing about guns/shooting etc!!!
    I have a big Rat problem in my garden and my kitchen extension.I have got rid of a few with traps but they keep coming back.I am thinking of staking out my garden during the night to first work out how they are getting into my extension and then taking out as many as possible with an appropriate air rifle.
    So..... my question is....which rifle would you guys recommend??? ;)
    Have I mentioned....I HATE RATS!!!! Grrrrr!!!! :mad:

2. smallman28

smallman28 Banned

Do you want to continue shooting afterwards?
    If not why buy a gun you are not likely to use again?
    I am pretty sure someone here might be near you and might consider helping you out.
    Depending what you want to do with the gun now and possibly in the future will influence what you should consider buying.

3. steelman100

steelman100 Member

I think the rat problem will not go away permanently ... so it may take a few regular visits to keep on top of the problem! Obviously I don't want to spend a fortune mind.
    I am just trying to consider all options as I am running out of ideas at the moment!!! :rolleyes:

4. smallman28

smallman28 Banned

It might be best to consinder second hand if you aren't sure about the long term commitment.
    Most rifles from the BSA,Weihrauch and Webley range would be worth considering.
    Just bear in mind most rifles these days have a scope fitted to them and you may have to buy one if it isn't included,the big problem is though you might be working at close ranges which the scope just wont focus at very well.
    You might get a gun with open sights that would solve that but most new rifles aren't fitted with them and older rifles that had them fitted originally have now been lost.
    Also you would need to watch the possibility of ricochets in a confined space with a rifle.
    Pistols are considered a bit of a no no for shotting any vermin although some people do.
    Something like this might work
    http://www.ronniesunshines.com/crosman-ratcatcher-co2-22-air-rifle.html

Its al there you would just need some CO2 capsules to power it and it is powerful enough at short range without being too powerful.
    If you find something you like the look of somewhere come here and ask some opinions.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  5. steelman100

steelman100 Member

Thanks for that smallman.... much appreciated!!! ;)

6. smallman28

smallman28 Banned

Well its worth waiting for some other opinions as they will always be different.
    Just dont be afraid to ask questions its the only way any of us learn.

7. hobson

hobson Engaging Member

Welcome to the forum!

Shooting alone will not get rid of rats, the amount you see above ground will be about ten percent of what is below ground.

Shooting will get the numbers down but if they're around a domestic property i'd get some good poison as well, also bear in mind why they're there in the first place, rats will only stay and breed in an area if there is food, water and shelter, so make sure there is no access to food.

Traps work ok but again will only trap a small number, whereas poison will be taken into the nest and they'll all feed on it, it's not the nicest way for them to go, but t's the most effective way to get rid of them, i know, i deal with the b*****s all the time living on an arable farm.

HTH

8. StayingProne

StayingProne Posting Addict

As above, i wouldnt bother shooting them if you're just after a pest control solution, just poison the lot and cut off their "ammenities". If your interested in starting shooting, then you have a good permission to shoot in your own back yard to practice on, but again as above, what you are seening is only part of the problem. Its the ones you cant see that you need to get at too. Good enough reason to start though!

Hope this helps...

9. steelman100

steelman100 Member

Thanks for that!!! :up:
    The problem I got is they originally got into my kitchen extension we believe underneath the roof tiles.Due to the roof tile profile there was a gap for the rats to get under.These have all now been sealed and the rats were poisoned by the council!!!! (OMG!!! The smell!!! :eek:)
    No sign of rats for a couple of months then we heard the dreaded footsteps on the ceiling again.... set a couple of traps and got rid of them again although I have no idea how they got in this time.
    Now... recently heard the steps again...plus worse again they have managed to find their way into my loft extension in the house I think up the cavity.Still no idea how they are getting in...hence my original idea of staking out the garden with possibly some night vision equipment to try and work out their entry point....and then the air rifle to get rid of a few!!!

I do have some poison in the loft but this seems untouched and I don't really want to use poison outside because I have a dog and fear her coming across some stray bits that she may eat!!! :rolleyes:

So thats where I am at....again thanks for the advice folks!!! :D Any more would be very much appreciated!!!

10. duffmanmark

duffmanmark Member

if your want ing to buy a rifle for close work you could try the smk b2 any air rifle dealer can get you one for £39.95.......and yes a lot of people bad mouth it for being cheap and inaccurate well practice makes perfect i say

you can still draw a straight line with a rickety stick

11. smallman28

smallman28 Banned

And if it doesnt shoot straight you can use it to club the rats with :D

12. duffmanmark

duffmanmark Member

lol you may be right but as i put in earlier its cheap and if your not wanting to spend a lot give it a go you might decide its a hobbie you enjoy and decide to upgrade or there is always someone wanting to buy a first shooter cheap if you dont like it

ps sorry about my reply not being in the right forum lobby i saw munufacturers of rifles mentioned and didnt know better im a noob to this forum and will try to keep my advice on par with the topic

appologies the duffman

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  13. mmamonster

mmamonster Big Poster

get a jack russle.

14. gbast69

gbast69 Banned

if u need to buy a rifle then i would recomend the smk qb78 105 quid dont bother with a scope fit a laser 25 quid. your probly gonna be shooting average of 10 yards so u dont want anything full power,but if u decide u like shooting after a wile u can buy a kit later and tune it to almost full power and enjoy shooting targets for years. but if ur not into shooting get some pioson or enviroment people out and save yourself some money and bother...

15. nevermiss1

nevermiss1 Engaging Member

nevermiss1

Mma monster is right get a terrier. If your not planning to keep shooting after you solve your rat problem its pointless buying a gun. If you wanted you could get a shot of somebodys terrier i have used my staffy for rats and she was brilliant. And if u wanted to make a good dent in the rat population use a smoker ( a petrol strimmer stripped down to the minimum then ad an exaust) and a shovel if you find out where there coming from not only will this get rid of the rats but it is alot of fun to watch the dog go lol.

16. Rodders66

Rodders66 Engaging Member

Before you buy anything is it safe to shoot in your garden? How far away are your neighbours? Have you a decent backdrop?

17. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    rather than go to the expense of buying kit that you may only use for this purpose, why not invite a couple of local shooters over from this forum - must be loads of folk on here that are local to you and would relish the chance to take out a few rodents. then maybe you can see them in action, use their guns, pick up tips etc. this will make a dent in your problem, and help you decide if you want to buy a gun yourself. best to 'try before you buy'

18. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

Try the webley rat catcher. It's cheep and cheerful but also accurate!
    They also tend to keep there value so it could be easily re-sold when your done, or put in storage easily due to size & Weight.

19. steelman100

steelman100 Member

Morning Folks.... well lo and behold my problem is solved (not my rat problem unfortunately!!!).... I rang my brother last night and spoke about my problem,to which he replied "I have an air rifle you can borrow...its a Weinrauch 95" ....Happy Days!!! Looking forward to having a go at shooting now!!!
    Next question is ....seeing that I don't have to spend out for a gun....what about a night vision scope... My brother can keep it then as a thank you for lending me his gun!!! :D

Oh yeh.... As for the dog suggestion earlier.... I already have one.... A Staffy!!! And shes bloody useless!!! Lol!!!
    She has obviously seen something in the garden before....cos when I let her out at night she runs round the garden like a headless chicken barking!!!
    Never caught a bloody thing!!! Bless her!!!:rolleyes:

20. hobson

hobson Engaging Member

You can get poison traps, they're like a little black box that the rats go into to hide/feed, you put the poison in there so the dogs don't get it, the problem then is that poison tends to make them a bit dozy, so they're easy for most dogs to catch (our three catch loads in the grain barn when they've been poisoned) so you have to make sure you keep an eye out and take any they catch off them.