1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Newbie Advice.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Jes, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Jes

Jes Member

I am thinking about buying myself an air rifle and I will mostly use it for target shooting to start with but I would like to do some hunting as well, rabbit and squirrel mostly. I have no experience of CO2 but I thought about buying a cheap crossman ratty as I fancy customising it and seeing what I can do with it. I don't have a huge budget and I don't think I could run to a PCP so I have a few questions if you folk could help me out.
    What would be best a CO2 or a decent springer?
    How easy is it to refill CO2?
    If I go with a CO2 what sort of costs am I looking at for refilling, canisters etc?
    What are the volume levels like on a CO2 compaired with a springer?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tadpole

Tadpole Honorary Member

3. scrumpy monkey

scrumpy monkey Busy Member

Iwould go springer CO2s are affected by the temp if it,s cold there not that good so i hear

4. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

I have co2 and springers.
    For co2, ratty is probably the best you can get out of the box, but is relatively low power hence the name (ratty) its designed for rats not rabbits. But with modifications its a cracking little rifle. You could also look at a QB78, Chinese rifle so not great quality, but if you put some time in, change the seals (about £2 for a full seal change) and consider upgraded bolt probe it can be a great rifle. I have done allot of modifications to my QB78 and I find it hard to decide which I prefer, that or my TX200hc :eek:.
    CO2 are great and generally cheep to use, but like has been said is effected by temperate easily, so you could zero your scope in during the day, go for bunnies at night and your zero is out by a few inch. I leave my gun outside in back garden for a hour in a plastic bag before going out shooting so it adapts to temp, then zero it in and its sorted.
    Springers are by far cheapest to run, only have to replace seals and main spring once ever 20-30 years depending on whether its a good make or not, but can be a bit annoying if your hide shooting, if nothing appears for a few hours its a good idea to shoot your rifle a manufacturers recommend not to keep your gun cocked for more than 45 mins (but there is allot of controversy about this) so you can actually scare stuff away if it doesn't appear after a while. Depending on what gun you get co2 varies in price, standard ratty and qb78 use 12g capsules which are about 50p-£1 each, but the king rat catcher takes 88g co2 capsules which are about £3-£5 each but you get allot more shots per fill.
    How long CO2 lasts depends on which gun you use and the power it puts out, generally more power=more co2= less overall shots per fill. about 20-30 full power shots in a ratty I find.
    But what you get depends on your budget and where you are shooting.
    If your hide shooting weight doesn't really matter e.g. a TX200, but if you have large perms to shoot on you want something lighter as you have to carry your gun around with you.
    And you can get decent CO2 rifles for cheep, but its harder to find good quality springers for cheep.
    If your looking at a springer though look at weihrauch, air arms and BSA. Probably the best you can get for your money.
    Also consider gas ram :up:
    Sorry for the essay, hope this has been useful though.
    If you need anything else or more questions just ask.

5. Jes

Jes Member

Thanks for the replies, after some more research I have taken a fancy to a TX200. I have seen a couple for sale in the adds section so I am seriously thinking about having a look at one. Naturaly I will let you all know how I get on.

Thanks again.

6. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

You will never go wrong with a TX200. It's all the springer you'll ever need.

7. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Especially after you have carried it round your permission all day!

8. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

I would look at an HW95 as well!

9. andy46

andy46 Donator

as mole said a HW95,or a hw97K

10. Airgunner1

Airgunner1 Banned BANNED

Good write-up

11. Jes

Jes Member

After doing more research and seeing a couple of reviews I got interested in this add.

I had a chat to Leebo and I having come to an araingement I went to see him.

I just have to sort out a few bits and I will be taking the TX200 to my range to be sighted in and Chronographed.

Thanks to all for the help and advice.