1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

new to the sport seeking purchase advice

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Garf, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Garf

Garf Active Member

Hi all

Just registered, thought I'd say hello.

I'm brand new to the sport, just googling around the subject if I'm honest. Used to shoot full bore in the army and F class afterwards but gave up years ago. Getting the urge again but thought get into air rifle, which I've never done, and seems to offer much of the same in terms of discipline without the drama. I'd only be interested in target shooting.

I'm seeking recommendations for a rifle. I have a budget of perhaps £1200, but want a decent scope included in that as experience taught me long ago that's where to spend your money and can't imagine air rifle shooting is any different. i have no real issue with buying used if you'd recommend that but would prefer new optics. PCP appeals but willing to be talked out of it.

Advice advice welcome as I have no idea what I'm doing !

G

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  2. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

Welcome along.
    I'd suggest a visit to a club in the early stages. Most shooters are more than willing to let you try what they have. This way you'll get a more of an idea what suits you rather than getting a 1001 suggestions from folk on a forum as to what suits them. You have quite a healthy budget so if you do go 2nd hand you'll get something decent in either springer or pcp varieties.
    Enjoy the stay!
    Regards Stu

3. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

Good advice. No one can really advise you on what gun will suit. They can perhaps advise on what they have and that's all.
    get yourself to a club.

4. critter

critter Donator

You have a healthy budget so should be able to get any decent pcp that suits you with enough for scope and charge bottle, Most scope around the £150 mark are more than adequate for target or hunting but like others say go and shoulder a few guns and look through a few scopes to see which suit you best. ps welcome to the forum

5. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

buy the best you can get away with as it'll save you money later!!!!!!1

6. mattyts

mattyts Donator

For that budget your at the top class of PCPs,I would consider something like a HW100KT,even though they are ugly ;)

Within your budget you should be able to get a very good scope,something like an MTC Mamba or Viper with good quality BKL mounts and a 3,7 or 12l charging setup.

7. themadspread

themadspread Donator

take notice of those above all very good hints

8. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

I wish I had that sorta budget when I decided I wanted to get back into rifles! The world is your oyster there, especially in the second hand market.

The club visiting idea is sound, btw. I've recently started up at a range, joining the club soon. Wish I'd done it earlier. You're nearly fighting folk off up there that want you to play with their guns! The other day I had a good blast with an HW100KT, an HW40 and an Air Arms Alpha Proj. All guns I'd never even handled before (never even seen an Alpha), but the guys wouldn't take no for an answer. They downright forced me to sit down and try 'em. :D

Getting something in your hands and putting a few rounds through it (like others have said before) is going to be miles better than folk's opinions. Didn't think I'd get on with the HW100KT 'til I had a go on one last Sunday, handled superbly and was a real treat to use.

Edit: And hello! Welcome to the forum, it's been an indispensable help for me. Some really sound folk on here, always someone that's got some advice for you in your time of need! :up:

9. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer LOW BELLEND THRESHOLD

depending on what type of target shooting you intend doing (HFT,FT garden plinking) will depend on the type of the gun and scope combo you will need.
    if you intend doing it seriously then your only calibre choice will be .177 as the HFT,FT ranges will negate any other calibre in the 12ft/lbs bracket due to their loopier trajectories.

10. Garf

Garf Active Member

charging bottle won't be a problem. I have two 12 litre twinsets, 6 X 11 litre tanks, 4 X 7 litre tanks, 4 X 5 litre tanks, a handful of 3s and probably an old 15 in the shed. I'll just need to make one of them a dedicated bottle and put the right valve and whip on it. I also have access to a 300 bar compressor and air bank so that bit is easy :)

I've googled around for the nearest clubs. I'm close to Ford Ranges in East Sussex, and there's also a field target club just up the road.

11. seakingfixer

seakingfixer Engaging Member

are you an SLR or SA80 man ?

12. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

Welcome along, all the others have given great advice. Try before you buy, £1200 is a great budget.

SLR all the way wooden stock and butt..:violent4:

13. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

A lucky man indeed!

Everything seems to be falling in your favour, so all you gotta do is roll up and tell them you're looking at buying a rifle and you need to see what you're after.

I'll bet they'll be falling over each other to convince you that theirs is best, thrusting them into your arms to try! :D

Cloverfield did a really good write up on cylinders, might come in useful. Been reading it looking for summat that'll suit me (and my wallet!). Linky

14. Garf

Garf Active Member

SLR amongst other things, but I did get to play with the SA80 before I left. Sorry if I'm about to upset you but I thought it was a piece of ****. the SLR felt like a precision instrument. The SA80 felt like a toy. when you fired the SLR you knew you had fired a serious piece of kit. When you fired the SA80 it just wasn't the same. I also found it a PITA to strip and clean compared to the SLR. Interestingly I hear that in-theatre demands of Afghanistan have resulted in a new 7.62 being widely ordered. The circle is now complete :)

15. Garf

Garf Active Member

i teach technical scuba diving, so have cylinders all over the house. It's keeping the b*****s in test and Oxygen clean that's a PITA.

16. Garf

Garf Active Member

OK, so it's literally just a scuba cylinder with a specific valve.

I might use one of these then as they don't look as shiny as they did when I painted and labelled them :)

[​IMG]

17. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

Aye, that's about the jist of it, wasn't sure of the ratings you had.

With a 300bar air source, I wouldn't hesitate to use one of them. Just the fact I'll have to pay for my fills has my Scrooge senses tingling. :D

Here's me looking for one tank, and you're trying to pick the scabbiest one of yours! :p

18. seakingfixer

seakingfixer Engaging Member

Not upset in the slightest. Quite the reverse actually. I only asked so I could give a more informed opinion . being an slr man myself i love the feel and balance of the hw97kt which is a springer but very accurate but a bit on the heavy side for some. never handled hw100 which is a pcp but it looks similar build. with your budget you could treat yourself to both.

19. Top linker

Top linker Member

hi
    I have a hw100 and love it. i personally dont like the tactical guns but hey if we were all the same life would be boring:)
    I found it quite confusing as the choice is massive but enjoy mate its a great sport:)

20. Garf

Garf Active Member

OK, I had a play with a couple of rifles - the Air Arms 410 and the HW100. I absolutely adored the HW100. Am visiting a club next week so I don't rush into a hasty decision!