1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

New To The Hobby - Hatsan Mod 60s Service Advice

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Dan K, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Dan K

Dan K Member

I've been looking for someone in the Salisbury/Ringwood/Hampshire area that could give my new Hatsan mod 60s a once over and some lubrication and am not having much luck with the local gun shops. I'm new to the hobby and don't yet have the confidence to strip it. I can see the nasty, yellow factory gunk and would like it cleaned up. The spring also looks bone dry.

Both places I've tried so far weren't willing to help, even when I mentioned I may be interested in new spring/guides/tune up. They just won't touch a Hatsan, apparently.

I was wondering if you guys knew anyone fairly local that could help? I'd be happy to pay decent money, just for a quick clean and lube!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  2. Proheatpaul

Proheatpaul Busy Member

Pm shauny on here
    He will sort you out with a delrin top hat and spring guide to suit your spring
    And most likely give your piston a clean up and polish
    Well recommend and a good guy to deal with

shauny likes this.
  3. siox07

siox07 Engaging Member

Your local gun shops sound pretty poor to be honest mate, I’ve stripped and gas rammed an Hatsan 55s .177 before and I’m definitely not a gunsmith so it’s a poor show from them to say they don’t do Hatsans when your offering them your custom mate . They are good solid rifles by the way and benefit greatly from a strip down ,clean , polish and relube correctly. Hope you get it sorted, sounds like shaunys your man for this mate

4. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Busy Member

Shauny has done a bit of work on my springer, & his work is second to none.

He'll see the job done right. :thumb:

Good guy as well.

5. Dan K

Dan K Member

Thanks folks. His profile is private for me so I will hope to bump into him. It does seem a great rifle for the money.

One of the reasons I wanted it looking at was after having read this on the forum :-

6. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Busy Member

@Dan K

I've also just got hold of a new Hatsan 60 about 2 weeks ago, but I find it tough to cock & lock up.

How are you finding yours mate?

Btw, Shauny has done some work on one of my Weihrauch's & I highly recommended him.

@shauny - please PM him mate, as he's having difficulty finding out how to message you.

7. Dan K

Dan K Member

It is slightly on the stiff side but I don't have much to compare it to mate. Definately eased in a bit now after a couple hundred pellets.

It's mostly the random yellow grease that's bothering me. Almost looks like it's causing small rusty spots now it's been exposed to the air? Was yours also full of gunk?

8. shauny

shauny Top Poster

not near ringwood/hants, but if he wants a chat,im here :thumb:

Baldilocks likes this.
  9. Patrick

Patrick Donator

The Hatsans do tend to be stiff to oulock/break the barrel and stiff to close/lock up.
    On all the Hatsans i've owned and that's about 4or 5 of them the barrel pivot bolt has always been done up to tight.
    Obviously it needs to be tight enough so there is no side/lateral play between the barrel/breech and the cylinder jaws but i've alway found them to be over tightened.
    This is borne out by the fact that the barrel pivot bolt can be difficult to undo.
    In fact if you don't use a hollow ground parallel sided screwdriver or screwdriver bit of the correct thickness and width there every chance you'll chew/damage the slot in th bolt head when you try to undo it.
    I think they must have someone build like Geoff Capes doing the bolt up at the factory or more likely using an air powered screwdriver tool.
    Any decent gunshop that has a gunsmith that's familiar with airguns and the Hatsan 55/60 models should be able to service one of those as there's nothing really complicated about them.
    Any gunshop that says they can't or won't service one of those i wouldn't want servicing any gun perhaps. Or perhaps it's because they've never done one before.
    If most experienced amateurs can do it so should any competent gunsmith.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    siox07, Baldilocks and PBaz Barrett like this.
  10. Dan K

Dan K Member

Thanks Shauny, I'm sure I'll take you up on that. You come highly recommended!

I'm off to one of the places now to pick up some pellets so will see what they say in person. I got the impression they regarded it as a cheap gun not worth their time but so far I'm just really impressed with it.

shauny likes this.
  11. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Busy Member

Yes, mine was absolutely caked in what I can best describe as a grease that's like a yellow tinged soft lard left out in summer :D

There was loads around the breech & lockup area, & I found I needed to keep wiping it off the breech seal.

It's all gone now, & I put some standard moly grease there instead.

The spring looks bone dry, so I need to get around to opening it up when I can find a stripdown guide.

@Patrick

I managed to undo my Hatsan 900x breech bolt with a bit of brute force, but that wasn't anywhere near as difficult to cock as this mod 60 - so I'll invest in a decent screwdriver to undo this one.

As it stands, the Mod 60 is that difficult to lock up (sometimes 2 or 3 attempts) that I'm scared to fit a decent scope on it per chance I destroy it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  12. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Busy Member

It's a cheap gun, but it definitely punches well above its weight.

For the price, I don't think there's anything better in its category - and the Quattro trigger is superb.

13. Patrick

Patrick Donator

I used an 8mm wide hollow ground/parallel sided screwdriver bit in a 3/8 8mm socket fitted to a small tee bar from a socket set,or a ratchet handle would do equally as well. You can get far more leverage/purchase that way than with a screwdriver. But you need the action to be held steady while you loosen the bolt.
    With the pivot bolt just tightened enough to remove any side play i found the lock up was a bit easier too.

Baldilocks likes this.
  14. Dan K

Dan K Member

I don't think mine's that stiff mate. Sometimes takes me a second go to lock it up but I put that down to my inexperience and the fact I'm going a bit light on it, first rifle and all.

Baldilocks likes this.
  15. Peddy

Peddy Busy Member

Shame you not nearer I'd sort it no problem. There are a few things to look out for stripping them and if you are not confident I wouldn't attempt it, as mentioned a few things are very tight, the cylinder end cap and anti bear trap spring can be tricky, not to mention the barrel pivot screw. Sure there must be someone off here nearer who can do it for you

16. Dan K

Dan K Member

Thanks for the thought mate. Yeah it's a shame I'm not really mobile atm either or I would have brought it up to someone. Shauny did kindly say he'd work on it but I'm hesitant to strip it down to post it to him for the reasons you mentioned. The only thing I'd probably manage to strip would be the bolts!

I have found one more small place near me in Salisbury that specifically do air guns. No website or anything, so must get around to giving them a call.

Still having lots of fun with it but keep thinking of that post that talked about how they can destroy themselves if not looked at xD