1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

new to hunting looking to get into the sport looking at buying a air rifle

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by totalwar13, May 11, 2012.

1. totalwar13

totalwar13 Member

hi been looking into hunting and want to start
    i was thinking of buying a brocock contor 6shot .22cal £400 was in a gun shop today and i liked the look of it and its small and light
    i read the sticky on buying a rifle
    im a total noob to all this
    was just wondering what's the difference in the big rifles and the little one is accuracy not as good
    i read power is the same i will not be geting a licance so will not be gettin it over 12pounds of power
    so is this good the best for the price and dose it do the same as abig rifle
    is it worth buying a 2ed hand 1
    any advice would be appreciated
    where is a good place to buy from

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. andy46

andy46 Donator

hi and welcome to the forum:up:,go and try and shoulder as many rifles as you can,to find the one that suits you best,hope your not a noob to shooting,as starting out on live quarry is a big no no,get loads of practice in at a range first,buying second hand is great,it will cut the cost down,place to buy from have a look in the sales threads or blackpool air rifles,maybe start with a springer first,to see how you get on.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  3. megga

megga Busy Member

As stated, hold loads of guns, they all have different weights ect, and whats good for one is no good for another. Join an air rifle club, if they sell guns, you can try before you buy. Loads and loads of practice before you start hunting. Try different range's, 10 meter to 30 and see the differance in your aim.
    As for £400, i would say go for seconhand, and go for the full set up.
    Spring guns have recoil and 1 shot, they take some practice, but the are cheap, dont run out of air
    PcP guns come in multi shot, no recoil but are more expensive and you need to but a pump, or get a divers bottle
    CO2 have no recoil, but having to buy co2 can work out expensive, plus in winter they are not as powerfull
    But in the mean time, go to a woods, walk around fields, learn how to stalk, how to blend in to your surroundings, you will find it very hard at first, any one can pull a triger, but with sub 12 pound, you need to get close and personal, and the range the rifles have, you have to get very close.
    You may here of people boasting 70 yard shots, thats irisponsable, its not the air gub range and they may have had a kill but to how many injured??

4. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

You forgot he'll need permission to shoot on any fields or woods. A lot of folks still don't know this.

5. totalwar13

totalwar13 Member

yeah well i have a webley hurrcain pistol been practiting with, are there and good clubs in the manchester stockport aera?

i really dont want a springer or CO2 i want a PcP want a gun im going to be able to go hunting with and not for practising i want a good gun i can keep and look after
    are the 2ed hand guns good like will they last or will i have problems and have to get them fixed ex.
    i like the look of the Weihrauch guns
    but also like the smaller Brocock Contour
    just a bit lost on what gun to get just so many, and i figured that the little barrel guns have the same accuracy as the big barrel guns

6. andy46

andy46 Donator

any of the hw's will serve you for years,wether a pcp or a springer,you wont go wrong with a hw

7. totalwar13

totalwar13 Member

i also like the look of the BSA Ultra Multishot Tactical looks good quite cheap to

8. villaman

villaman Banned

Hi
    You will have a job to beat a BSA ultra m/s. I have one had it regged and it is spot on i use it more than my HW100Kt. Have a look on u tube Si pittaway he does a very good review on the ultra

9. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Try and shoulder as many rifles as you can, read reviews ask on here. Get as much info as you can before you buy because it can be a expensive mistake if you get the wrong rifle.

PCP or springer, your call but don't forget you need a pump or dive tank for the PCP rifle

You also need a scope and mounts, funny area so again look through as many as you can

.177, .20, .22 or .25 cal, search button is your friend, endless posts on this

Also you need some where to shoot? is that at a club, garden, private land or a hunting permission? you can't just buy it and think you can just jump over a farmers wall and off you go

Insurance?

10. langy

langy Engaging Member

like mentioned above mate try blackpool airrifles out, thats where me and my mates have got all our guns from, tell them how much money youve got and what you want it for and theyll give you some really good adivce on the best guns for your money etc, also they have quite a few second hand guns... cant say theres a problem with them as my mates first gun was a second hand 1 from there and its still going strong now :)

11. totalwar13

totalwar13 Member

been down to a shop manchester air rifles and looked at a few guns i really like the Brocock Enigma with wood stock, he has a 2ed had one for £400 its in really good condition, new for 495 do you guys think its worth it 2ed hnad or should i go for a new gun
    i think i have made my mind up really like the look and the feel of the gun
    the smaller brocock contor 6shot is to small and light im 6.3 foot and 16 stone just feels to small
    he recommended a nikko sterling 12x50 scope for £85 and a Hw100 FSB special silencer for 50
    is there any better scopes for that price range

12. jetco

jetco Engaging Member

If you scour the threads not only on this forum , in the sales sections, alot of people will be selling alot of guns , at very good prices. Also if its your first i would also recomend going for a Full setup 2nd hand ... Rifle/Scope/Silencer/Filling Equiptment.

Initial start up costs of a brand new setup can be pricey, but hey if you have the money do it :D and do not forget as soon as your purchase one rifle .. there will allways be a next one on the list :p

13. totalwar13

totalwar13 Member

yeah just been looking at a few really good prices to
    think thtas what im going to do buy 1 offf here 2ed hand will get a better deal

14. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

Airgun club map
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=...815918&t=h&z=6

BFTA clubfinder
    http://thebfta.net/bfta-clubfinder

UKAHFT clubfinder
    http://www.sites.google.com/site/ukahft/ukahft-clubs

Practical pistol clubfinder
    http://www.ukpsa.co.uk/club-finder.html

Go to your local club BEFORE you buy anything. Most folk will let you try theirs. Even if it's hunting you intend to do you'll be a better shot for joining and using a club regularly.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  15. totalwar13

totalwar13 Member

any one see any good deals on guns in the selling section?