1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

New To Airgun Wich One Should I Buy

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Jackt0169, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Jackt0169

Jackt0169 Member

Hey,
    I live in the Netherlands i have an big backyard and was interested in an airgun around 300 euro. After watching some yt video's and searching for 2 days i am not sure what to buy first i found the: gamo replay 10 magnum 5,5mm
    As i was searching for an airgun that could shoot FAR. it seems like an good airgun for me as it has a lot of Joule ( idk if this has to do with it and a lot of fps ).
    But then i searched their site up and then i just didnt know what to buy:
    http://www.gamo.com/productos/carabinas/
    There were so many different guns around the same price range.
    ( btw i want my airgun to have an scope on it ).
    do you guys have any advice for me as i dont really care that it shoots 10 x with reloading as it is usefull i just want an airgun that can shoot far and also do some damage not really needed but would be cool also i got an question i could choose between an
    4,5 mm and an 5,5 mm ( 1.77 ) (22) whats the difference between those? as 4,5 has more m/s does that mean the 5,5 bullet is bigger and heavier?

Thx btw i have never had an airgun before i dont know what the terms mean i did search some stuff up. It doesnt really have to be an gamo airgun btw i just found it on the main page of an page selling it.

I just found out there is an gamo replay 10 magnum igt gen2 whats the difference? as it looks different as the gamo replay 10 magnum 5,5 mm i found this is it btw: https://www.airgunseurope.com/gamo-replay-10-magnum-5-5mm-airgun.html

2. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Keyboard Hero

Hi I’d say the best thing to do is to go look and feel some rifle in a shop the problem with that is are your shops in shut down like ours. Another thing is with that budget your not going to get a decent enough gun to be very accurate at distance, see if there are people selling second hand ones you’ll get a good second hand underlever like a tx200 or a hw97 both very accurate ok

3. BallisticBill

BallisticBill Too much keyboard, not enough action!

I don't know what legal restrictions you have in the Netherlands. If you have power limits that will influence your choice.

If you want a flat trajectory you need to be looking at muzzle velocity rather than power. Pellets will start to loose stability if the muzzle velocity is higher than 280-290m/sec. At the same muzzle velocity you will get a slightly better trajectory from 5.5mm.

If you are simply looking to shoot at targets at long distance my advice is as follows.
    Up to 24 joules you would be better looking at 4.5mm than 5.5mm. Above 24 joules you need 5mm or 5.5mm
    For example, 24 joules in 4.5mm will give 270m/sec with a heavy pellet.
    To achieve 270m/sec with 5.5mm you would need in the region of 45-50 joules depending on pellet weight.

Buying a spring rifle, the recoil and accuracy become more difficult to manage as the power increases. Larger calibres run smoother than smaller calibres at the same power. So a 16J 5.5mm will run smoother than a 16J 4.5mm. If you want a similar trajectory from the 5.5mm the extra power needed will make the action much harsher, probably worse than the 16J 4.5mm.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  4. Rob-ontarget

Rob-ontarget Donator

I don’t think they have any power limits in NL, just no replica’s and no hunting with air allowed...
    I might be wrong as I was told that a few years ago..

Check out Krale for a lot of options..
    https://www.krale.shop/en/

Gamo don’t have a very good reputation, you are probably better off looking at Weihrauch or Hatsan..

5. Jackt0169

Jackt0169 Member

Jup there are no power limits

6. Jackt0169

Jackt0169 Member

Couldnt find any second hand ones well some are to pricy some are really bad ones also i could go for around 400 euro to if that is needed for An good airgun or maybe even 500 but i need to think about that then as im not rich sadly...

7. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

8. NaughtyBadCal

NaughtyBadCal Posting Addict

When you say shoot far how far you thinking?

9. BallisticBill

So I can't give you advice on best springer at, say, 40J, other than it won't be 4.5mm.

I know what I'd do with a PCP... go for high power in the bigger calibre.
    For a break barrel springer I'd choose a used Weihrauch (HW80) over a new Gamo.

10. Jackt0169

Jackt0169 Member

I am not sure after im done working i can send An picture of my backyard with An Line i would like it to reach if you know what in getting as idk how long my backyard is .

11. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Keyboard Hero

H
    ow many meters

12. Jackt0169

Jackt0169 Member

If i have to take a wild guess about 100 meters. But im not sure

13. NaughtyBadCal

NaughtyBadCal Posting Addict

Ah right I’m not sure on law other there but here 12ftlbs is are legal limit for rifles realistically there shooting 60yds accurately depends on the shooter as well.

14. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Keyboard Hero

Wow go for the best you can afford a used hw or aa springers

15. Jackt0169

Jackt0169 Member

I AM not sure what to buy right now the only thing i know its better to buy An pcp air rifle

16. BallisticBill

My father used to tune had springers, occasionally up to 32J (5.5mm), but owners usually wanted to run them at lower power. I don't have a lot of personal experience of these high powered springers but I have been able to get 50mm groups at 70m. I don't think you will be able to get good accuracy at longer ranges. If you want reasonable accuracy out to 100m you need a PCP, 5.5mm around 40J minimum... or larger calibre 0.25", 60J.

17. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker Black Latex Matters...

:welcome:

I tend to avoid Gamo products like the plague...

Rat reaper likes this.
  18. Jackt0169

Jackt0169 Member

I heard someone say buy the Weihrauch HW95 is that an good choice? Im not sure what scope to buy with it or what bullets but it seems ok?? I am not sure about this do you guys think it is an good gun or...?
    https://www.krale.shop/en/weihrauch-hw95/
    It is sadly out of stock :(

19. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Keyboard Hero

The hw95 is probably one of the best break barrels made

20. Jackt0169

Jackt0169 Member

Ok thx, i am not sure what to buy so my brothers friend recommended this one as he has this as his first ever air gun so thats why i got this one
    Oke thx seems like an good choice then? Maybe later i will switch to an PCP when i am ready for an different one as right now its a bit confussing thx for all the help everyone i will let you guys know when i bought it and what i think of it but its out of stock now i just have to go and find a good scope and ammo as idk what scope i can put on it and whats a good one also with ammo because there is a LOT of choice :)