1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

New Springer Advice

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by PBaz Barrett, Feb 4, 2021.

?

Which rifle should I purchase (in .177)

1. AA TX200

46.8%
  2. HW77K

21.3%
  3. HW97K

31.9%
  1. PBaz Barrett

PBaz Barrett 'I love slinging lead me'..

Hello, I am currently on the look out for a new springer rifle and would welcome any advice as to what to purchase. My options are a TX200 hunter carbine, a HW77K or a HW97K. Which is the better rifle to buy new. Thanks.

2. Desmond.22

Desmond.22 'All round good egg'

To be honest in all seriousness all as good as each other.

Best hold a few and get a feel for them then if you can try shoot a couple ultimately personal preference mate.

Some will suit you better than others for me it's the 97 but I've had all 3 and are all great.

I've still a 77 too but find the 97 that bit nicer for more precision work

Alexall and PBaz Barrett like this.
  3. Sniperjon

Sniperjon Well-Known Member

Tx full length for me, .177 tack driver!
    J.

PBaz Barrett likes this.
  4. Lostkiwi

Lostkiwi Tomorrow will be a good day.

Love my 97 though I have to admit it's a bit of a cabinet queen. It doesn't get taken out if it's damp outside...
    Having said that I did take it out earlier in the week and had a very pleasant 45 minutes plinking in the garden setting up the scope (swapped the Nikko off for the Discovery). Only got 14m to play with but it' was great fun and deadly accurate.

PAUL1986 and PBaz Barrett like this.
  5. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

Either or, all are good. If it's mainly for targets, I would recommend the full length TX over the HC, easier for prolonged cocking ;)

6. Regal Man

Regal Man Pro Poster

Depends which calibre your after .
    For .20 your choice is between, HW77k or the HW97k the HW97k , the stock is designed, more scope friendly , from what I gather.

If I was a gun tart , after a springer. My eyes would be looking, at the HW97k blue laminate stock in .20 calibre.

PAUL1986 and PBaz Barrett like this.
  7. richard.g

richard.g Posting Addict

8. Guloluseus

Guloluseus Very Active

I think you've pretty much picked 2 of the better and more popular guns, so whichever you choose, you're going down the right road.
    I prefer the HC version of the TX, but its not a favourite of mine. Between the 77 and 97 k versions, I'd go with the 77- its a bit more weildable, and I've found them to be more than competent gun.

Best bet is to wait till you get a chance to hold each one and see which you prefer. first impressions will give you a good guide as to which feels better, and thats half the battle!

richard.g and PBaz Barrett like this.
  9. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

TX for me as I never got on with my 97, mind you I never gave it much of a chance if I'm honest, anyway, the 97/77 will probably need work before they'll shoot to their full potential whereas a TX won't want for more than a strip, clean up and re-grease...

And therein lies the first benefit of owning a TX as opposed to a 77/97, 4 Allen screws to take the stock off and one bolt, yes, you read that rite "one bolt" which allows you access to all the necessaries inside... :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  10. berbers

berbers Posting Addict

Pick one out the hat, theres very little to choose.

In order i would go full length TX, 97k, 77k, TX HC

But thats just me. If/when you get the chance the best bet is to handle them yourself to see which one suits your hands / shoulders.

11. PBaz Barrett

Yes it seems logical as you guys say, to try all for fit. Have yet to hear a bad word said against either. I do like the look of the TX200HC with its compactness. Plus being a British outfit, should really support them, but the 77 and 97 are very nice also.. Yep I need to check all out to see what suits me best. :thumb: Thanks all.

TORNADOS7 likes this.
  12. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

;):up:...

PBaz Barrett likes this.
  13. shauny

shauny Top Poster

forget that lot....a 99

14. BallisticBill

BallisticBill Looking outside the box

What do you want it for? Hunting, targets, both?
    I have TX200, TX200HC and 97k. My full length TX will out shoot the other two but is too unwieldy for hunting. The HC is best for hunting. The 97k is a compromise - will do either. If I had to get rid of one it would be the 97k. If I could only have one for all uses it would be the 97k... but it did need a fettle. The other two are good straight from the box.

richard.g, PBaz Barrett and TORNADOS7 like this.
  15. mmamonster

mmamonster Pro Poster

Prosport
    Atb
    Mart

Plinky Dave and PBaz Barrett like this.
  16. PBaz Barrett

Yep the 99S looks a good value rifle with great potential, but a break barrel :oops:..

17. Reevo17

Reevo17 Group therapy

Having owned both sizes of 77, 3x 97s and several TX/HC the full length 77 gets my vote every time - really easy cocking too - the 77k next.

what do you want it for? Bench targets or hunting?

big price difference between a 77/97 and walnut TX new

I hate the phrase the Hw will need a tune out the box.... the don’t need a tune, but 95% will benefit from a £25 guide set to stop the boing.

the TX also.

I had a TX where one was flooded with grease, another the cocking arm fell off so their QC isn’t all that either....

hold them both: all to compare.

more importantly load one!

the 77/97 was a wide loading port and a shallow barrel.

the TX barrel is centric and deeper and has a narrower port which is handed. I used to drop loads of pellets with the TX loading.... my HWs always felt smoother to cock and shot considerably better also

my 2p

Cyrus, Alanw, richard.g and 1 other person like this.
  18. YepYep

YepYep Posting Addict

Yep! No doubt the TX system is the most easiest service design! When the first time I opened my PS, I was fully surprised by working on it effortlessly!

TORNADOS7 and PBaz Barrett like this.
  19. rich79

rich79 No deep or funny comment here

Unless you're going to use the opens I'd ditch the 77, so that leaves the TX vs 97.

TX
    Nicer blueing
    Walnut option
    Glided piston
    It's English

Four stock options
    Rekord trigger
    No fiddly anti beartrap

Or join the gentlemans club & get a Prosport.

20. YepYep

YepYep Posting Addict

I think we should also consider you can use open sight on the 77 but not the other two?

TORNADOS7, richard.g, shergar and 2 others like this.