1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice New Silencer Time

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Bwarnos, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Bwarnos

Bwarnos Busy Member

Hi all,

I have come to the conclusion that I need a quieter silencer. I have heard a few and mine seems a bit 'thudyer' (new word), I have read Jay Jay's report on silencers which was helpful as the same silencers differ in sound on different guns.

I have a Air Arms 10mm slip on at the moment and I was wondering what others use and would suggest that own Air Arms?

Cheers
    :D

2. Oilysean

Oilysean Very Active

One of matty's on this very fine forum. Great bloke and top notch craftsmanship.

3. Bwarnos

Bwarnos Busy Member

Do you have a link Oily?

4. Oilysean

Oilysean Very Active

5. tatsumi

tatsumi Big Poster

Matts are very good yes, i modded my 10mm AA silencer with good results so kept mine :)

6. Bwarnos

Bwarnos Busy Member

7. Bwarnos

Bwarnos Busy Member

Wish I new how, is it easy?

Sent from my Iphone using Taptalk

8. GIRLYPANTS

GIRLYPANTS Banned BANNED

I use a Twink on my AA, its a great silencer

9. sn1per

sn1per Engaging Member

Me too, quieter than a silent fart!!!

10. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

i re packed my air arms moderator and now its a lot quieter, so much so it puts my mates fully shrouded hw100 to shame.
    inside is this brillo pad material trouble is it doesnt fill the moderator with gaps around the edge front and back. i re packed it with foam so now its filled. made h@ll of a difference! mines a .177 so i reduced the size of the exit hole with some plastic tube epoxied in.

first two pics show whats inside as standard (there is another partition inside the mod that i hadnt removed yet in the first pic) last two show it with the new packing, the last pick shows the differance between the original on top and the new piece of foam bottom

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  11. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

i also drilled 8 small vent holes evenly around the circumference at the beginning of the first and second section angled rearward to vent some of the gas rearwards reducing the pressure/sound venting out the front.
    i subsequently covered the rear 4 holes for the first section as arnt necessary

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  12. knighty

knighty Banned BANNED

i second that got one on my AA s410 its mint

13. Fisherboy

Fisherboy Engaging Member

Mark.177, hi there, gonna have a go at this mod and just wondered what type of foam you used? Also I know that the moderator unscrews from the barrel end but does it unscrew from the muzzle end or do you just pop it off? Can't really tell from the pics as using phone. Also how tight do you pack it in? What sort of density is the foam? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, James

14. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

it should unscrew both ends, however it will be tight due to a thread lock being used. i thought mine wasnt supposed to unscrew as was so tight! i used a strap type jar opener to get a grip in it and managed to break the thread lock bond.
    the foam was 10 or 12mm thick and though aerated was quite heavy and squidgy (if that helps) got it out of a motorcycle jacket back protector pocket when replacing it with hard foam.

i replaced the plastic (stocking like) blue sleeve then cut the foam to fit a little larger than the length needed to wrap fully around the spring and sleeve. i held it on with cotton wrapped around to make it easier to push back into the moderator.

basically all i've done is replace the under sized baffling with something that fills the inside with no large voids because before there was at least an inch either end with no baffling and it didnt wrap all the way round leaving another gap running down the length of the mod inside.

the end result was to deaden the crack even more and reduce the "ping" coming from the spring inside the mod as its now better dampened.

i dont know for sure how many decibels quieter it is but it is certainly noticeably quieter than any other mod i've seen used! the only thing that could improve it now would be a bigger internal area and more foam.

15. Accuspell

Accuspell Major Poster

To help loosen the end, heat the cap with a hair dryer, or if you have one a hot air gun used fo rstripping paint - BE CAREFUL WITH THE HEAT GUN Aluminium melts at low temperature. You could also loosen the glue/thread lock with boiling water - boil the kettle and pour it over the TUBE OF THE BODY, not the cap. That will expand the body a bit and give you that bit of help to break the bond.

My AA has also been modded, but i used proper felt instead of foam - I don't think it matters. I shall do mark's tip of reducing the exit though. Great idea! Thanks.

16. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

the holes drilled at a rearward angle at the rear of the final section helps reduce the noise as well, you can here a soft "phffft" like blowing through a straw coming from them. with the combination of side vent holes andreduced exit hole (used a felt tip pen) there is hardly any noise coming from the front of the rifle travelling down range. i dont notice the benifit of the holes when firing but it makes a big difference if your standing just 20 yards down range!

i tried felt and a combination of felt and foam but the foam worked best on its own.

17. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

it seems theres no end of fancy after market moderators available that cost a fortune but in the end some decent baffling and a few mods to mine has bettered or at least equalled any you can buy!

18. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

my first attempt was an "add on" mod but it was way too heavy, long and impracticable, though it did give me chance to try a few things before messing with my aa mod... made it very quiet!

used old film canisters, tape, foam, epoxy resin and an antiseptic spray bottle to make a lighter one as the first was made from an old maglite lol

you can see on the metal "maglite" one i tried drilling rearward facing holes which later made it onto my aa mod as worked quite well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  19. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I have had loads silencers on different rifles and matts are very good and he can make pretty much what you need and want.

On the other silencers i have had the Twink mk2 is the best followed by the HW

20. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

my .177 s400 with modded aa mod is now quieter than the hw one on a shrouded hw100 .22! and at least as quiet as the twink! though without a decibel meter i cant prove it lol