1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

New Scope Problems

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by CaveyAvey, Jul 11, 2020.

1. CaveyAvey

CaveyAvey Member

Hi all, first post so be gentle!

Just had the local gunsmith attach a new Hawke Airmax 30 compact to my AirArms S400 carbine .22

trying to zero at 20 metres and it’s shooting low, very low! Even with elevation turret fully out, still shooting 6-8 inches low but pellet on pellet. Before looking at shims or Mount adjusters, has anyone dealt with this and what are the most obvious issues to check first?

thank you!

2. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 BRIT SEALS - M & M Products - TbT

Just before you start looking at the scope mate, always worth putting the gun over the chrono just to mate sure that’s not low on power

rizla1 likes this.
  3. CaveyAvey

CaveyAvey Member

Thanks Mike. Will do that. It’s a PCP with full charge.

4. rizla1

rizla1 hi

I would take scope back off and swap mounts around and try again, what mounts are you using :thumb:

5. Septic

Septic Superbus et Vetera

It’s a common problem with air rifles... you can fit a thin strip of plastic cut from a milk carton under the scope tube, on the rear mount... But loosen both top clamps first and don’t tighten them back down any tighter than necessary...

Better still... Buy adjustable mounts... I know they’re expensive... But well worth the money... I buy mine from.. https://eaglevisioncam.com/product-category/scope-mount/

6. td_boy

td_boy Donator

Might be worth checking the front clamp hasn't taken a clout and twisted down.
    A quick sight down the top of the barrel and check the centrality in relation to the barrel should show up that kind of error.

Forget shimming... it's a bodge to correct a more serious problem elsewhere - an S400 with a new scope should not need shims.

7. Roger Archbold

Roger Archbold Busy Member

I've seen this before on a CZ 452 the bullet was clipping on a SAK moderator, and I ran out of adjustment, shooting low all the time
    Check the end of the moderator.
    What moderator is it ?

8. Mamba86

Mamba86 Busy Member

Someone was selling some on here the other day.

9. CaveyAvey

CaveyAvey Member

thanks for replying. I don’t think it’s the moderator, have removed it and tried without it.

10. CaveyAvey

CaveyAvey Member

Thanks for replying. That’s what I thought. Brand new scope and brand new mounts. Wondered if the mounts were set correctly? What would one look for to check?

11. Jiggy ward

Jiggy ward Donator

What's your location maybe some kind member could have a look over the set up with a fresh pair of eyes and may notice the issue

12. CaveyAvey

CaveyAvey Member

Thank you! North Cornwall

13. td_boy

td_boy Donator

Did you have the old or do you have another scope/mount combo you can try?
    If you don't, does the gunsmith who fitted them?

At least then it narrows it down a bit...

14. Leshiy

Leshiy No 0352

Back to RFD if this is a newly purchased setup

15. CaveyAvey

CaveyAvey Member

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately new scope is a 30mm tube, old one was 1”!!!

16. td_boy

td_boy Donator

No matter, if that scope goes on and zeros without shimming then there is an issue with either the new scope or the new mounts.
    If you got them both from the same place - just return as being faulty and let them sort it out.

17. Victor Robert Allaway

Victor Robert Allaway Busy Member

You say the RFD fitted the scope? Now I'm not suggesting anything untoward but I'd start by taking it all off, checking as you go. First check closely that nothing appears misaligned. It is easy to not properly engage on the rail, making one of the mounts cock up. Make sure both clamps are fitted the same way up, they are fitted one way up for a 9mm rail and the other way up to suit an 11mm rail. Once the caps are off and the scope removed, ease the mounts so you can place them alongside each other. Are they the same height? If there were two guns being fitted with scopes they could have accidentally switched the mounts halfway through the job after the phone rang with a long enquiry... Talking of which, is there any visible difference between the two mounts? The only difference I'd expect is that one will have an arrestor pin that screws down into a hole in the rail (on a springer) to stop it sliding under recoil. If you don't sort out this pin it will hold that mount up off the rail and could account for your problem. Confession time - I missed this when first mounting the scope on my S400. When I found it was misaligned and wouldn't stay tight, I located the pin into one of the barrel retaining screw holes in the front rail. The other option is to remove the arrestor screw, not really needed as a PCP doesn't recoil.

Even if you don't spot anything wrong, reassemble it gently and carefully, wriggle everything gently as you fit it to make sure it is correctly snugged into place. Put both mounts the same way round, with the locking plates on the same side of the gun. This type of mount will always be slightly to one side of the barrel as they have one fixed side and the other adjustable - get them crossed and you'll be way off centre on the windage turret! Once its all together and you've sorted the position to give correct eye relief, check the vertical of the reticle aligns with the barrel before tightening up the screws. This should be done by degrees, keeping the gaps even both sides. Either use a mini torque wrench or your calibrated fingers on the short leg of the allen key to avoid overtightening and crimping the scope tube. Now have another go at zeroing your sights!

A good RFD will have done all this, though he may have left the job to the Saturday help who happens to be a brainless t**t (like me). Once you concentrate and think it through, it's quite easy - but I seem to need to learn by my mistakes. That's been a lot of learning.

Rob.

P.S. I recently chaned my Hawke 30mm mounts for BKLs, so if you find a problem and the RFD can't or won't sort it, drop me a PM and I can send them. At least I can tell you they worked fine on my gun.

18. BallisticBill

BallisticBill Looking outside the box

What make are the mounts... Hawke? :down:

If they are interchangeable, swap the front and back to see if that makes any difference. If not, then the mounts must be the same height so possibly a problem with the scope.

Never mind where the rifle is shooting for this test. Check the scope by setting the to mechanical centre - count the turret rotations. Then see how close that is to optical centre. Two ways of doing this, one is to use a mirror, the other to rotate the scope in the mounts to see if the reticle holds a target - counting the rotations/clicks to get from mechanical to optical centre. If the optical and mechanical centres are not close (differing by, say, more than 10% of the adjustment range) or you can't get it to hold a target when rotated, the scope is faulty.