1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question New scope, But what to have?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Smithz, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Smithz

Smithz Well-Known Member

Hello everyone.

First of all i just wanted to say sorry if any of this post is a bit...rough, i joined this forum yesterday so sorry if im asking a question where i should'nt. But to the question at hand, I'm looking to buy a new scope for my Weihrauch Hw95.

Currently i'm running with a Hawke Sports Hd 4-12x50 Ir Ao now there's nothing wrong with this scope in fact for the money it's a very impressive inexpensive scope, but i feel im just not getting as clear view as i could with another (better) model. But on the other side i've only got a sub 12 fpe air rifle so spending £200-£300 on a very high end scope seems a little bit over kill. expecally when im not interested in doing field target shooting. i simply want a good scope for hunting and maybe a bit of plinking around too.

Now the two scopes i had in mind where the Hawke Airmax Ev 4-12x50 Ao or the slightly more expensive Hawke Panorama 4-12x50 Ao Ir, I've done a little research into both scopes and im leaning more towards the Panorama just due to the fact im going to get better glass for the money (that's what i'm thinking anyway).

But what i'm really asking here people, is there anyone who has had experience with both these models of scope and can offer me some what of a comparision? I'm also pretty open to anyone who can offer me suggestions on other scopes that drift around the same price range as the one's i have mentioned idealy with a slightly higher maginfication then 4-12 (if its even possible).

Thank you for any helpful input.

2. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

I have used both and the panorama is now sitting atop my tx200hc and the airmax is sold :up:
    I found the panorama to be a marmite scope, some people don't like them, others love them.
    I would also recommend considering the mtc mamba lite as an option.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
  3. Smithz

Smithz Well-Known Member

So worth paying just that little bit more. Thank you very much mate. i'll have a good look into that Mtc Mamba lite too.

4. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

IMO yes its worth the extra cash, the floating reticle takes getting used to, but in terms of clarity its on par with my bushnell legend, and is only just a bit less clear than my lightstream, and there is a £400 difference between the two of them.

5. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, as with many forum members views on scopes and clarity of glass, HD,IR AO, unless you are going to do competion shooting most scopes under £100 are very sufficient for hunting and plinking, your hawk is more than capable for hunting as many use including myself once you adjust to eye sight diopter a clear view to 100mtrs on 4 5 6 magnification is more than needed with a sub 12ft llb air rifle, i dont go for the red and green ady but prefere a clear cross hair standard scope. once i get the diopter correct i put sparky tape around to stop any movement. most spring guns will need a single mount with a hold screw and scope needs to be suitable for any spring gun. i think you can use a scope with too much magnification and most of mine are on between 4 and 6 which is more than enough to 40mtrs for rabbit shooting and 25mtrs for rats, if i have to shoot vermin birds its on 8 so i get a clear shot to kill. next time i go to a RFD i will look at those makes mentioned and see for myself if quality and price does make a difference. let us know what you buy and compaired to your hawke. good luck

6. Smithz

Smithz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input Ratman, i understand what you mean about the magnification i get you don't need a mag so high you can see how many blades of grass the rabbit has in its mouth to beable to hunt them effectively. the want for a slightly higher mag was more when i go down the range and reach out to the 50 yard mark.

You'll have to excuse me if i sound a little stupid now but the "Diopter" your talking about that's the adjustable ring closest to your eye? the one you use to focus the scope to your eye ? just so im clear on that.

also you meantioned a single mount with a restraining screw? I use the more common two seperate mounts that slide down the dovetail grooves of the rifle and are held in place with hex screws, Gotta say they have never become loose or lost my zero.

7. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, yes the diopter is to set to your eye sight and you can do this at the lowest tange the scope goes, once you have set the best you can put some sparky black tape around the adjuster so it stays put, sparky tape will not damadge and comes off easy. as for mounts on your 95 it pays to use a single quality mount with stop screw, this screw is usual pointy so file this off and i think your 95 rail has a indent for these studs so hold mount to rail not too tight put some tissue in stud thread hole and tighten mount studs then tighten down stop screw then can fix on scope to get the right distance to shoot. yes you can use 2 mounts and some have a hold stud in one that gives that extra hold so no need overtighten on the rail hope you understand my way. as i said i do favour a singe mount on a springer although on my cz slavia 634 the rail is to short for single mount so i put a 2 mount on one having a stop stud. if your happy with a 2 mount on your 95 and they are doing the job then no worry but a single mount does give a longer and better hold on these rifle rails. good luck

8. Smithz

Smithz Well-Known Member

Ahh yes now i understand what you mean, again thanks for the advice i'll take it all into good concideration, i'll let you know scope wise what i go for. Thanks alot mate

9. landymick

landymick Keyboard Hero

The mambalite are very good & will deliver what you need,with the 95 being a light gun try to get a 40-44 mm objective lens to help keep weight down.50 mm lens can be useful but for requirements i think 40mm would suit better.Also have a look the Nikon EFR 3-9x40 AO.

10. Akita177

Akita177 Sharpen the pikes

With the HW95 i preffer a lite wieght scope with a smaller front end so you can use as low mounts as possible.
    I guess its personal but i hated my HW95 when it had a 50mm scope and high mounts, the cheek peice hieght is for open sight use which is annoying as they dont come with open sights anymore.

11. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

I have a 4-12x50 and a 4-12x40 panorama. I have an hw95 also and found the mamba i did have on it didnt suit it. Neither did the 50mm panorama (agree with Akita177 here) never tried my 40mm pano on it as that is welded to my HW100 as its perfect for HFT.

12. clbarclay

clbarclay Engaging Member

Best go to a shop or range and try as many scopes as you can. It seems that what suits one persons eyes doesn't necessarily suit anothers. I also suspect that there can also be quite a quality variation between suposedly identical cheap scopes. Quality control is often diminished to help get costs down on cheap end products, because saving cost there doesn't reduce the advertised specification. Buying in a shop you can be sure that exact scope is the one you like.

13. Smithz

Smithz Well-Known Member

Thanks guys

I'll start thinking about scope profile and size as well as just the quality. and yes Clbarclay im definately going to heed your advice and make sure i try the scope before i decide to purchase it, just looking for ideas and suggestions too.

14. Smithz

Smithz Well-Known Member

Giving this a Bump for more opinions,

Also is there anyone out there with a Hw95 who is using low mounts, too me it seems like it would sit too low for the cheek peice but i have been recommended on this thread to use low mounts with a scope that has a 40mm Objective lense to keep the weight down which is a good idea in my eyes due to the fact the Hw95 is light for a springer. At the moment im using 2 peice mounts and measureing from the bottom tip of the dovetail clamps to the top of the mount they measure 52mm (which line up very well when i shoulder the rifle). Bare in mind they are 25mm diameter and i measured them when they were unmounted and was not clamped to a scope.

Thanks guys.