1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

new rifle!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by mark.177, Dec 28, 2013.

1. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

just bought myself a proper mans gun!... sub 12ft/lb break barrel springer in .22cal:D
    brand spanking new hw95 and she's gorgeous. have wanted a simple springer for a while and finally have one. was a bit of an impulse buy, was looking at the hw99 as well which was a lot bigger in the flesh, dont know why i thought it would be smaller? a fine rifle all the same but the hw95 appealed a little more.

2. themadspread

themadspread Donator

it will make a man of you a propper gun just enjoy

3. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    nice rifle .... wrong cal ! ;)
    only joking mate, you will love it

4. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

i debated long and hard over the calibre, love .177 for hunting with pcp and also had a tx200 in .177 which shot beautifully but only because it was so heavy. with a lighter gun i prefer the gentler recoil of .22
    its a beach stock but has some nice grain and has a dark matt finish, looks really nice.

5. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

bought a tin of AA fields in 5.52 as a starter to see how she likes them as they seemed to work well in both my other rifles. but yet to shoot it. will be fitted sling swivels and scope tomorrow.

6. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    dont forget to try rws superdomes/superfields as well mate

7. royboy2511

royboy2511 Well-Known Member

nice one mate ,enjoy.

8. Jasglo68

Jasglo68 Its not about the size it’s where you put it !!

I've got a 95 in .20 and a 97kt in .22 and both love H&N FTT. Well worth a try. Superdomes are not far behind but the ftt's take the prize at longer ranges :D

9. macker71165

macker71165 Donator

got the hw95k for xmas luv it!

10. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

The 95's really nice - have fun with yours.

11. wonky donky

wonky donky Donator

I bought a 95 in .177 today. Next job is to strip it, deburr, lighten the piston, add bearings to the piston, short stroke, alter the transfer port, make top hat & spring guide, bore the trigger block to fit the spring guide into, add one of my own spec springs, relube & set it up.

I've done quite a few 95's & prefer them to the 77/97, great rifles.

12. amaser1

amaser1 Donator

:) Nice one matey :)

13. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

put one pellet through it today to test for twang and it is quite twangy. so will be looking to sort that, any advise/links on what parts/lubes to get and what to do would be great. has been a while since i owned a springer. the tx i had was pretty smooth right out the box.

14. 177

177 Donator

I have a .20 cal HW95 :cool:

Formerly Venom tuned (by Venom), it now has a Vortek kit installed and it's the cat's meow :D

That said, I think my HW99s is a better gun by far. Much as I think my 95 is an epic bit of kit, I like the 99 even more :eek:

The answer is obvious - buy all of them :)

Enjoy your 95 - they're a great gun, easy to work on/with and they respond very well to even a very light polish and lube.

Welcome to the club ;)

15. 177

177 Donator

Forgot to mention, JSB Exact Jumbo offer the very best trajectory I have found so far if you do longer range shooting. They drop off less severely than Air Arms Field, and far less than Superdomes and H&N Field Target and Trophy.

This makes precisely no difference unless you are shooting beyond 35 yards regularly, but I thought I'd mention it.

Previously posted on here in other threads, HW99s using .177 Air Arms Field pellets, Bushnell Legend 1.75-5x32 scope, shooting from a rest at 40 yards, 5 shots:

[​IMG]

HW95 with HW99s, both wearing identical scopes:

[​IMG]

HW95 shot standing @ 35 yards using H&N FTT .20 pellets :D

[​IMG]

Great guns ;)

Have fun with yours :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  16. audiguypaul

audiguypaul Donator

Nice buy, thinking of a .22 springer myself this year and am seriously looking at a 99s but am very tempted by the sfs imp version.

17. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Yes, that looks amazing. Might have to sell my 97 to raise funds for one of those.

18. 177

177 Donator

No disrespect to anyone who owns one, but I think you could open up an awful lot of options for the price hike involved in buying a SFS IMP

There are some incredibly good tuners out there who could work magic that IMHO leaves SFS for dust.

Tuning is a minefield - you get some who want the fastest possible firing cycle while others (like me) want a very sedate and 'gentle' gun; one that barely makes itself felt when shot. A good tuner will work with you to provide exactly what you want.

I'm certainly not rubbishing SFS and what they do - I've shot a couple of their stage 2 tuned guns and I was very impressed by them.

All I'm saying is that you could have something very special done, possibly for less.

One final point before I start a war with such sacrilegious comments - my experiments (which certainly aren't conclusive) suggest that a weighted moderator works better than a barrel sleeve for helping to mitigate muzzle flip on an HW95

I've tried both and a heavier moderator, around 230 - 250 g seem to work better than a full length barrel sleeve. It seems that the weight on the end of the barrel is more effective than the more evenly distributed weight of a sleeve.

Just my own findings and not a statement of fact...

Good luck no matter what you decide on :)

19. macker71165

macker71165 Donator

i used to use a gamo socom before my 95 so mine seems like a whisper compaired!:)

20. wonky donky

wonky donky Donator

Yesterday I bought a secondhand HW95 .177 complete with Hawk 3-9x40 HD scope, mounts, RWS sling & swivels. It was sporting the older style stock with the 310mm barrel & HW silencer so a 95k then. It does have the “Star” barrel breech.
    I didn’t bother to try the rifle in the shop as it was going to end up as a test bed gun & believe it or not, I managed to get it for £75.00 below the asking price, not too shabby a deal then.
    I had two or three shots with it this morning just to feel the firing cycle, the first thing I noticed was how silky smooth it was to cock, a little harder than a standard rifle I thought, but very smooth cocking indeed.
    When I executed the shot I felt the trigger was a little light & would be a little unpredictable in the long term, probably just down to adjustment.
    The firing cycle was quick with more than a little piston bounce, quite a bit bounce in fact & no hint of the usual “TWANG”
    Errm I thought, the rifle must have had some work on it, probably full of grease but can’t have had a proper tune because certain things hint at a standard rifle.
    So over to the chrono, the Skan Diamond was set up, not my favourite but it will do.
    Now I don’t weigh individual pellets, I take 10 from the tin, weigh them & take an average using it with the average velocity; good enough for what I’m doing today especially as I suspect things are a bit hot.
    RWS Superdome 820 fps…………………………..12.42fpe
    RWS Hobby 917fps…………………………….13.33fpe
    JSB Exact 4.52 835fps…………………………….13.26fpe
    Air Arms 4.51 830fps…………………………....12.91fpe
    FA Plus 892fps………………………….…13.04fpe
    Air Arms Express 872fps………………………………13.29fpe
    H&N FTT 840fps………………………………13.21fpe
    Ok then it’s hot so I remove the sling, scope & stock not really taking much notice, put these items on one side, the actions lying on its right hand side on the bench. I pick two pieces of wood up so I can rest the action on them whilst I knock the trigger pins out & glimpse there’s slight marks around the trigger pin holes.
    Okay it’s been apart, I remove the pins turn the action & see this………………..it’s got an intact Sandwell field Sports anti Tamper sticker over one of the trigger block lugs.
    I was absolutely amazed! I was also very happy because never having shot a SFS HW95 I had actually done my own appraisal of one without any sort of bias & a direct comparison against my own tunes.
    This is a honest post & I don’t want it turning into any sort “gang rivalry” I have seen in the past.
    I don’t care what people may think, I know what I know, what you see is what there is, or was, nothing more, nothing less. The images are untouched or edited in anyway & taken as the rifle came apart.
    The opinions I have were concluded prior to me removing the stock & I genuinely had no idea it was a SFS rifle, so there you go. Here are all the images Double click on to enlarge.
    The spring guide is a standard HW turned down to fit the custom spring.
    The top hat is Delrin with one shim washer under in the piston & lose fitting in the spring.
    The ends of the spring are as manufactured, I know this because I know who makes them.
    The piston does not appear polished; if it has been then it’s very light.
    The piston sleeve is a standard HW item 7 no reason why it shouldn’t be,
    The cocking slot along the compression tube has been deburred.
    The cocking shoe has been polished to a degree both sides.
    The transfer port is 3.2mm dia.
    The trigger has very little grease in; I suspect this rifle has had very little use because the gold coating was still on the hardened pins in the blade.