1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

New Rifle guidance

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jhnbrty1978, Mar 3, 2008.

1. jhnbrty1978

jhnbrty1978 Active Member

Hello guys,

I am looking to getting back into airgun shooting after 10+years away from it and i need some guidance. I have a budget of around £400 and i am looking for a rifle for primarily hunting/vermin control i have done the hard part and found myself a massive shoot in my area. Now all i need is a setup.:eek:

I was initially looking at a low end PCP but i have convinced myself that with all the hassle of filling ect and as i am starting again i have decided to go for a high end springer this is where you guys come in below i have listed a couple of rifles i am looking at:

Air Arms TX200 possible HC .22:confused:
    Air Arms Pro Sport .22:confused:
    Weihrauch H97K .22:confused:

I will also need a scope and bits out of the budget aswell.

Question

What high end springer would you recommend for my situation?:confused:

Thank you in advance for any input:up:

Let the arguements commence.

Cheers

John

2. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

What kind of environment are you going to be shooting in, e.g. small confined spaces or the open-outdoors? What are you going to be shooting?

3. jhnbrty1978

My shoot has large open fields,woodland and scrubland.

Quarry will be rabbits, woodies, rats, crows & squirrels.

John

4. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

If you want to go venturing through the woodland, and if it's heavy woodland, then you might want to consider a carbine of some sort as these are easier to handle because they're shorter. Be aware though that accuracy can be effected very slightly; carbines save the length from the barrel.

If you're looking to spend £400 on a gun and a scope, then I'd recommend the Air Arms TX200 (HC or standard, up to you) or the Weihrauch HW97K. You could go for the slightly older but equally brilliant HW77/HW77K.

With the Pro Sport, you're paying the extra for a slight difference in performance - there's apparently not much, so you might want to save the money there.

Get either of the rifles I mentioned and you won't be disappointed; spend another £100+ on a scope and you'll have a good setup.

One last thing - I'd suggest going for .177 instead of .22 as this calibre is better for longer ranges.

5. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

.177 will have more recoil and you may find a few rabbits don't go down, .22 will have more energy at the target. :up:

6. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

That's true, .22 carries more energy with it but drops quicker as it's heavier. There's no 'best' calibre as we all know, so it's up to you, I'm just recommending a .177.

7. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

why not go for a secondhand pcp 400 might get you a gun scope and pump if you look around much better than a springer

8. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

This is also a possibility, yes. PCPs are better for hunting, especially multi-shot ones.

There are a few PCPs that retail for under or around 300, however buying one of these new with a scope won't leave you enough for a pump/bottle.

Like Topcat said, try second hand if you don't want a springer.

9. Nicksi

Nicksi Engaging Member

I can recommend BSA XL Lightning Tactical - got one myself a year ago. Shoots straight (if you can) and packs a punch. Very hard wearing, reliable too. For £400 you could get one of these, sling, scope, lamp, bipod etc, etc, etc

10. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

load of cobblers about accuracy being affected using a carbine barrelled gun:rolleyes:

11. steve410

steve410 Big Poster

Well said Rockabilly,I have had classic and carbines,no difference what so ever :(

12. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i think when it comes to springers its best to have a rifle not a carbine as the longer barel will make the gun recoil less for some reason.

anyway. any BSA HW or Air arms springer will work well.
    i would use a .22 for rabbits by the way, more energy and all that

13. 8-ball

8-ball Engaging Member

I got my PCP VenomViper second hand. It was just under a year old and came with a Hawke, 5.5-16x44 scope on too; all in al a great set-up. All I've bought to add to it is a sling, dive bottle, lamp, and pellets

14. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Maybe because they're heavier? :confused: I've never noticed a difference myself.

15. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

True, with my S410 carbine l have put a hole in the last pellet hole, out to 45 yds over and over again, the only time you will experience problems with a carbines, being a shorter barrel, is if you go over, the recommended, 18ftp on the FAC carbine....unless you use a heavy pellet...:up:

16. FXpoacher

FXpoacher Engaging Member

HW97K in .22
    Possibly the best spring rifle.
    Fixed barrel-better accuracy
    Built in silencer
    German quality
    These feel real good in the hand as well, but my wallet was screaming....NOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOO!
    But if i had £400 to spend, then this is what i would get.

17. TREV RYN

TREV RYN Active Member

i dont think you can beat a airarms tx200 very accurate gun indeed, even better if you can drop on a sr version:)

18. jhnbrty1978

Thanks for all the comments guys still no clearer in my mind unfortunatley and to make things worse a guy i work with could be selling a BSA Ultra .177 single shot:(.

My only reservation about it is that it looks quite a small/compact rifle and i am 6'5 and 17st not sure if i will be to big. Will hopefully get a go at the weekend and find out.

Any thoughts on the BSA Ultra???

19. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

good little tool but personaly i dont like the MMC system, im a bolt action kind of guy.

for hide and shed work it is perfect but i prefer a longer rifle for field work as they are more stable in the kneeling position.

20. sumo

sumo Posting Addict

recoil?, unlikely!.