1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

New (old) HW 77

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by fixwheelmad, Feb 15, 2012.

1. fixwheelmad

fixwheelmad Member

Just got a old HW77, thats in good general nick, a bit of stock damage and some of the blueing is worn and a little pitted, but it shoots clean and well, came with scope and bag all for £120, which i think is a good price. Need some pointers now, is there a silencer for this gun? also is there a replacement spring kit, looking at the Rowan trigger to replace the original, and which gun sling arrangement have people used? Cheers E

2. Tmaxxjj

Tmaxxjj Busy Member

With regard to the spring, yes, you can get replacements. You can get an original one, or whilst it's all apart why not treat it to a tuning kit :)

3. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

Venom made a barrel catch come silencer, which softens the sound a little

[​IMG]

I don't know how easy they are to find as mine came with it already fitted.

John

4. fixwheelmad

fixwheelmad Member

Yep thats what i am after, did web trawl found plenty of images but nothing listed to buy, any thoughts?

5. reaper6

reaper6 Banned BANNED

Why would you want to alter the trigger?

6. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

the venom silencer was good but you need to heat the end then beat the foresight off with a mallet. then file the exposed dove tales down before fitting. if you can get one still I dont know as vmach dont seem to do anything much nowadays.

7. darklord

heres the details for the venom silencer as of last week

VM-VMS2 HW77k with Long Lever Catch (OAL 5.5") - various fittings available
    VM-VMS2 HW77k with Long Lever Catch (OAL 5.5") - various fittings available however its 81 quid plus 74 for the tuning kit plus your gun price will be cheaper to by a used 97

8. knighthawk

knighthawk Posting Addict

Thats why I went for a HW97 and tuned it myself..it would have cost too much to modify a HW77 and buy all the parts..but I have still got a soft spot for the HW77 from my FT days

9. theobencarbine88

theobencarbine88 Posting Addict

yea the rekord trigger is regarded by many as the best.

As others have suggested; i would consider replacing the main spring with a v mach

£120 for a HW77 is a bargain :up:

10. Tamar

Tamar Engaging Member

Hi Eugene - sounds like you have potentially got a bargain there.

There are slide on moderators you can get from Weihrauch but I would suggest it might be worth focusing on improving the firing cycle first and then see if the quietened down action is worth doing any more on as the muzzle report is not that intrusive, unless you are shooting in a very sensitive area where neighbours are likely to become annoyed, or you are likely to be taking multiple shots at live quarry from the same location in rapid succession. So I would look at buying a tuning kit rather than just the spring.

As others have said the cost of a silencer might actually be a bit more than it is worth spending on the rifle - unless the underlever catch is on its way out and needs replacing. If this is the long barrel version rather than the carbine (the latter I think will be stamped with 77k on it somewhere) it will reduce the muzzle crack but not by that much.

Good starting point for spares would probably be these guys - http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=24571&cat=HW77
    It looks like they have the slide on silencer - but would be worth calling them to confirm which foresite it is compatible with - I could not see the venom style underlever / silencer unit - had one on my old 77k but that was made by Airmasters and I don't think they have made spring gun stuff for ages.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  11. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

bought a rowan adjustable trigger for my tx which transformed the feel of the trigger if you can get one for the 77 go for it.
    oh and welcome:)

12. darklord

i have a soft spot for the 77 i loved mine but i got rid in about 1988 or 9 back then easy to get bits cheap like a 30 quid venom mod etc but at that money now id leave the silencer bit and play with the internals after cleaning everything else up and have fun. yep 120 is pretty good for the gun. its a shame the parts are now so dear.

13. fixwheelmad

fixwheelmad Member

Thanks, for this, is there any tuning kits which would be better than others? Venom seems to be the one people talk about? is this DIY or get the local shop to do? PS the BSA is doing great btw! Cheers E

14. fixwheelmad

fixwheelmad Member

Your local i see, I am based in Pentewan most of the time, have you used the gun club at Polterre? Cheers E

15. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

ha, yes St Austell. no clubs just hunting, never been one for paper punching i did pop up the indoor club in st austell one night but got bored within half an hour. tried hft but started getting bored with that as well lol

16. brookesssy

brookesssy Donator

I just picked up an HW 77 free from a friend, no sights or case and a mountain of rust and pitting (have some pics on some of my forum posts if you are interested). I know that every barrel likes different pellets but in order to save new HW77 owners like fixwheelmad and I, does anyone have a shortlist of pellets to sample? Or even just some to discount instantly? And what sort of difference should I expect in grouping from 30 yards with good pellets and rubbish ones?
    Cheers guys,

17. Wayupnorth

Wayupnorth Honorary Member

Don't even consider the pastic skirted Prometheus pellets. I have had great success with RWS Super H-Point out the 25 yards on rabbits, mice, rats and crows. Anything over 25 yards, I use RWS Superdomes right out to 40 yards on quarry and 50 yards on tin cans.

18. brookesssy

brookesssy Donator

Cool thanks Marco, where in Orkney do you stay? I went up there for work and loved it!

19. Wayupnorth

Wayupnorth Honorary Member

I am over on Hoy bud. Been here nearly three years and never even considered moving back down south. Absolutely love it here :up:

20. fixwheelmad

fixwheelmad Member

I am using RWS superdomes with great success, did a trial yesterday and did good groupings, at 30-40 yards within a 40 mm circle, that was standing and a light cross wind, just getting used to it, but i have to say, its a really nice gun