1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

New Multi-shot Pcp, Bsa Vs Daystate Vs Weirauch

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by DoolMj, Jun 29, 2018.

1. DoolMj

DoolMj Active Member

Hi all,

I'm about to buy a new multi-shot PCP, my first one after years of springers.

I went to my excellent local gun shop yesterday and spent quite a bit of time looking and trying rifles. I got my shortlist down to:
    1. BSA R10 SE Super Carbine (walnut stock)
    2. Daystate Huntsman Regal H.R
    3. Weirauch HW100 KS
    Going into the shop I thought I wanted the Daystate, after 90 minutes with the guns I left the shop 99% certain I was going to buy the BSA! in the metal it looked (IMO) nicer than the Daystate and far, far nicer than the Weirauch.
    The BSA also felt the best in the hand and shoulder and it had the nicest most positive cocking action.
    The Daystate was very nice but the regulator seems like an after thought as they have fitted an additional gauge (why do you need a reg gauge?) the BSA stock I think is more attractive and is adjustable, also the BSA includes a silencer and so is a fair amount quieter.

The Weirauch in my opinion is the least attractive (yes looks are important to me) I like Weirauch's and I've had 97K for more than 20 years as my main gun. I wasn't taken by the side level but also it didn't put me off and the magazine looks the most robust of the three. The gun does look to me like it's just a bayonet short of being a WW1 rifle though (in a negative way).

I decided to sleep on the decision but after doing some more research I'm no clearer! I thought that the latest SE version of the BSA R10 had said goodbye to all regulator issues but forums suggest not? it doesn't seem like a very clear cut opinion. I also can't find out if it has a totally new regulator or just a tweaked version of the MKII's does anyone know?

There isn't much info on the now regulated version of the Daystate but I assume as it has a Huma regulator it should be fine?

It does appear that the Weirauch is solid and reliable and even though I do value looks I also want my gun to work all the time.

I'll be buying from The Airgun Centre who give lifetime warranty and lifetime servicing covering parts and labour so I'll be well covered whatever I choose I just don't want to have to get a gun repaired regularly even if it is free.

All opinions and experience is appreciated.

2. hughlle

hughlle Very Active

Are you making your decision based on what you would really like, or based on what the shop happened to have in stock? I may be biased but I'd definately take a look at Air Arms S510 etc.

32:1, greyskull and Gazza600 like this.
  3. Claypole

Claypole Posting Addict

Did they make you a cup of tea?

michael54r, Oat and Spray1Mark like this.
  4. DoolMj

DoolMj Active Member

Hi, purely on what I really like. The gun shop has stock of just about everything I would consider. I'm in no mad rush. I Looked at Air Arms and didn't like the cocking mechanism or the magazine. I'm sure they are great but they are not in contention for me.

Gazza600 likes this.
  5. DoolMj

DoolMj Active Member

No but I didn't hold that against them.

6. raven hunter

raven hunter Posting Addict

Yes AA first then down the line for the rest.

32:1 and Plantroomtrog like this.
  7. Claypole

Claypole Posting Addict

I wasn’t offered a cuppa when I bought my rifle, and I will always hold it against them.

8. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Try a Zbroia:
    1) 300 bar fill (seriously, the working pressure is 300 bar, hundreds of shots even in .177).
    2) 2 magazines.
    3) 2 fill probes (1 quickchange Foster fitting, 1 threaded)
    4) nice cocking mechanism with anti double load
    5) nicely balanced
    6) a silenced shroud that works

where in the country are you? I would guess somewhere in Essex, but if it is North Essex you are not that far from Sure Shot and the Zbroia Hortista I have looks nice and is much cheaper than anything you have listed there...

[​IMG]

9. DoolMj

DoolMj Active Member

Air Arms look great and I understand are excellent guns. Not in contention for me though.

10. Gazza600

Gazza600 Engaging Member

Some great deals around on used ultimate sporters at the moment. Shot count not great though..
    The HW100, although having outstanding build quality and smooth as a sewing machine indexing they just leave me cold as they're just not attractive to me.

Although, I am generally a Weihrauch fan and I've had plenty of HW Springers.

BSA R10... I've seen too many new ones turn up at the club and then returned due to inconsistency and accuracy problems to ever consider owning another. The scorpion SE and Goldstsr SE I've since owned have kind of put me off BSA rifles full stop and I no longer own either due to questionable build quality and fussy barrels. Having owned Air arms, FX and Daystate rifles since then I've realised how it should be done.

11. DoolMj

DoolMj Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion, they look interesting. I'm in Essex just 3 miles from The Airgun Centre, I like and trust the shop pus the lifetime warranty and lifetime free servicing is great. Especially as they are on my doorstep. For that reason I'm going to stick with them.

12. DoolMj

DoolMj Active Member

I feel the same way about the HW100, looking at this as a purely functional decision it's the gun I would choose but pride of ownership and aesthetics really do count for a lot.

Gazza600 likes this.
  13. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky Life in the slow lane

I own DS Mk4 and can say that most DS i have seen are a good quality and shoot well, i also own a BSA R10 mk2 and although i am still on the std reg i fully expect to have to replace it at some point, i wouldn't class the R10 as better quality as DS, my barrel bluing comes off at the slightest provocation, good job i have a shroud, as std it needed some tweaking to get it to perform well, shot count was low etc, i would say they are a bit of a lottery, mine is very accurate, but then so is the DS and that required no tweaking and its 10 years old.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    DoolMj likes this.
  14. DoolMj

DoolMj Active Member

Thank you, very useful feedback. The R10 SE has a shroud as standard but interesting that the bluing is potentially a weak spot.

15. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Makes sense, out of the 3 you have listed the HW 100 is the best, I have owned modern BSA rifles, the best ones had Gamo on the side (Coyote and Phox), Daystate, if you can find a good one are superb, but all removable magazine Daystates have an indexing system that allows pellets to drop out of the back of the magazine and into the mechanism, which leads to the probe sticking and the gun not cocking. People will say "Rubbish, magazine O ring, replace it" but you do and it still happens, ultimately very poor.

But seeing as you have the lifetime free warranty with the AGC, what the hey, My most accurate air rifle ever was a Daystate X2, that could shoot the nuts off a gnat at 50 metres and still leave the hairs on.....

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    DoolMj likes this.
  16. mulletman6

mulletman6 Keyboard Hero

R10 is lovely, but you’re better off buying a second hand one that’s been tuned by John Bowkett

Regal is a lovely gun - I’ve had two and the only fault was the red part of the safety fell off - nothing a drop of glue couldn’t sort.

metalman likes this.
  17. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

As concisely as I can put it:

Wouldn't touch the Daystate due to their ongoing quality, customer service and attitude issues. They're very expensive, over-hyped and not very well made. That aside, regs themselves are Huma which are very good, although I believe they're the same in-cylinder items as their retro-fit regs which is less than ideal IMO. OK on a conversion but a bit of a bodge on a factory gun tbh. Also, following discussion of the regged Brococks (same parent company as DS) I'm not convinced how well the installation has been implemented with respect to port size etc.

Last thing I heard with the BSA regs was that, despite all their marketing bullsh*t the regs in the SE are just the same as those in the Mk2, which are crap - sticky and unreliable. The guns are also typically very badly setup. If you do go down this route, budget the £100-200+ for a reg and a proper setup from the off, as you will need it at some point. The guns aren't particularly well made or designed either and BSA barrel quality seems to have gone south in the past 2-3yrs. If you're bothered you can read all about my Mk2 (which is basically the same gun as the SE and I thankfully no longer own) here.

The HW100 is easily the best of the three in terms of design and build quality, but also the worst in terms of ergonomics (although IMO the sporter stock is so much nicer than the cricket-bat thumbhole). They're not perfect though and like everyone else they seem to be having quality issues; especially with barrels.

I'd join the others who've suggested you try an Air Arms - while a bit dated in areas they're some of the best quality, most well-rounded rifles available; and are a company you can respect unlike DS and BSA who I always feel are constantly trying to screw their customers. FWIW I've owned all three of the guns you're looking at (well, an unregged Huntsman) as well as many others from their manufacturers - after significant issues with each I no longer own any of them, but I do have one or two Air Arms guns ;)

Whichever you choose, don't let your heart rule your head in terms of looks.. as you suggest reliability and capability are far more important; however often they may be overlooked on superficial grounds. Looks and handling in the shop sell guns, but are no help when it won't group for toffee or bits start falling off. Granted DS and BSA guns are amongst the nicest to handle and look at, but can also be some of the least-reliable and worst made.

Finally, consider carefully where you're going to get the gun from as I'm not a fan of the AGC's deals or warranties.. usually the guns and deals are pricey (and the scopes quite cheap) compared to what you could get elsewhere by speccing everything individually. I'd also question the standard to which any work will be carried out in future by someone who knows they're not making any money off it; having seen guns that have been horrendously damaged while being "serviced" under such schemes. It sounds great on paper, but in practice can be anything but.

Sadly once you've crossed off all the rubbish there's a lot less choice - good luck ;)

32:1, number10, Gazza600 and 6 others like this.
  18. DoolMj

DoolMj Active Member

Thank you, I do like the Daystate a lot. Why would a JB tuned R10 be better? that's what I need to understand. There is loads of information about that on the R10 MkII but why on the SE? is it no better than the MkII? second hand wouldn't give me the lifetime warranty or services and so in terms of piece of mind is not as good value.

Shooter22 likes this.
  19. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Very Active

I love the Daystate mag, not experienced the issue above with mine, whereas I absolutely detest the Weirauch magazine!

DoolMj likes this.
  20. DoolMj

DoolMj Active Member

Thank you, very interesting to get the opinion of someone that's had all three. I have used AGC for 20+ years and so I do trust them, as you say they are not the cheapest but they are known to me, very local and will take ownership of any issues. AGC set up the guns and test prior to release so I think some of the BSA set up issues would be OK it is just the reg problems that are putting doubt into my mind.

cloverleaf likes this.